Insurance & Photo's.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Taking up on the other thread by Lisa.

People we know had their house burgled and despite having some expensive family heairlooms and jewlery taken in amongst other valuable goods that the insurers knew about. The claimants were obliged to prove they still had these goods before the theft, the police were reluctant to attend the scene of crime and they just had a crime number,

They were asked to send a duplicate claim form as the first had "been lost". The insureres questioned the second claim form as the missing goods were not listed exactly the same way as the second claim. (1st claim form had been "found").

The couple were made to feel like criminals and only by chance when the visiting claims inspector mentioned something did they remember their photo Album. Pictures a year or so old of the couple dressed up to go to a formal function were accepted as proof that an antique diamond neclace and earings existed and that the expensive camera that had been a gift existed. Other photo's in the Album proved that other things they were claiming for existed.

Photo's of my daughters damaged car were used to prove that the other driver was making up her version of events. The car had been taken by the insurers repairers on the day of the accident and returned a few days later, they had no record of the actual damage when the womans counter claim landed. Only my numerous photo's of the damage proved that the cars side frontal wing and bumper damage was at the side of the car not the actual "front" as the other party claimed.

CliveV may shed some more light on my comment.

We keep digital photo records of all we own in each room and anything of value. Shed,Garages, cars, bikes, tools etc are also recorded and updated + record of door and window locks and alarms etc.

We keep exchange copy records with family so we have back ups for them and us should we suffer a fire or theft of the photo CD's.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks cris that's sound advice. I must say, you have a wide circle of friends all doing exciting things.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comes down to trust in the end - the insurance companies know that some claims are false so assume all are.

This means that we cannot trust the insurance companies to treat us like normal honest human beings.

Document everything.

And BE VERY SUSPICIOUS OF INSURANCE ASSESSORS - in my experience they are rude, arrogant obnoxious scum that delight in reducing your claim as much as possible.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lisa.

Circumstance lead me to an expensive area of this country after years travelling and working abroad. My work comes from a mainly select sector of the high end socio economic groups. My friends live and work around the world and range from rich and powerful to everyday guys due to my idylic childhood.

Some would say I am lucky in that I meet a lot of rich and famous people and get to see many world class events. "Networking" is the main way I make my living so yeah, I have "friends/contacts" from international sports stars, politics, high level public services and freinds in military services as well as many others.

My kids friends when they were younger got excited about who my girls had met through dads work. Summed up at a shared Uni house by my youngest daughter "well it's ok I guess but they sh 1 t , sweat and eat same as the rest of us".

So yep I know lots of interesting people, and I have to be nice to people in my work life.

I like a peaceful life and the caravan gives me that and when in the van you can keep yourself to yourself and set your own agenda.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Comes down to trust in the end - the insurance companies know that some claims are false so assume all are.

This means that we cannot trust the insurance companies to treat us like normal honest human beings.

Document everything.

And BE VERY SUSPICIOUS OF INSURANCE ASSESSORS - in my experience they are rude, arrogant obnoxious scum that delight in reducing your claim as much as possible.
Lets face it clive thats there job!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We have only made 1 claim ever on contents insurance, which was this year for our 6 month old lounge carpet. (I spilt tea on it and it stained)

I sent the claim form off with the original receipt for

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I hate Royalty and wouldn't even turn to look if she was beside me! Have had the misfortune to be within spitting distance of one of her dozy sons at golf match's.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having read the tales of woe about insurance, and assessors, I have a very different tale.

I have had to claim twice in a very short space of time, once for a keyboard which I dropped on the way in to the house, and the second time for a broken main drain.

On the first occasion, an assessor was sent to checkthe keyboard and find out the facts, which I explained to him, and atone point the insurance was going to refuse to allow the claim, but the assessor pointed out that the doorstep was in fact part of the "house", and they agreed. The assessor had, prior to coming to see me, found out prices of replacement keyboards, as the one I had is no longer made, so a substitute had to be reached, and I had also enquired as to costs, and, I had found that I could source the same model as a replacement, as the assessor , but at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Life is like a game of chess - the pawns do all the fighting whilst the King and Queens sit back well protected.

If only the pawns from both sides united we could have every chess board a Republic by the close of business today!

Long live the republic!!

Where's my guillotine?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was just about to add that come the revolution Insurance assessors would be first up against the wall!

But maybe not those from Ocaso!!

Seriously tho Damian - I am delighted you have had a good result. There are good companies out there but there are also some complete s*ds.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Back on the Insurance subject.

Friends had camera, money, passports etc stolen from a hire car when they briefly parked up in Malaga on route from the airport.

The car was not broken into! It was opened and relocked!

The UK insurer refused to pay up as the goods were not locked in the boot, the car was a hatch back, despite the fact that gaining entry to the car gives direct acces to the boot area and that even if the car had been the saloon version a remote boot opener is provided on all models the insurers fought for over a year not to pay under their travel insurance!

Another friend had his claim turned down as on holiday the day of the theft was the day before the police crime report. The insurer said that the crime had to be reported on the day of the crime. In a foreign country he had to wait until the Monday for some English speaking hotel staff to explain where the nearest police station was many miles from where he was. "you should have phoned the police" said his insurers. In a foreign country not speaking the lingo and not knowing how to even be able to use the phone to call the police.

So how does this work CliveV?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clearly VERY badly!

All I can say is beware of cheap insurance (sometime not so cheap) booked via the travel agents.

There is only one reason they offer such good deals if you take out their insurance.

Best thing your friends can do is to write it all down and make a formal complaint. They are clearly being unreasonable and the ABI and the Financial Ombudsman Service would come to the same conclusion I am sure.

If you want horror stories - how is this

A guy lost his foot at the ankle whilst on holiday in Spain when a cannon blew up at a festival. The Spanish surgeons were very good (and their hospitals are better run and cleaner than ours!) and reattached the missing parts of the foot.

When home he claimed on his Accident policy and it was refused even tho he was off work recuperating.

Finally he got a response from the company that said he was covered for loosing part or all of a limb but if the limb was found and stuck back on again then no claim was possible!

Needless to say he complained and it hit the "pinks" (our trade papers - same pink paper as the FT) which meant that business for this company slumped over night and then with pressure from the complaint and the bad publicity they paid up.

So all I can suggest is to try and use a good insurer, get independent advice as it is often cheaper but almost certainly a better policy and if you still have problems - COMPLAIN!

Have a look at the FSA website - some really good info on there for consumers.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Some years ago I lost my engagement ring. I was also asked for a photo. Luckily I had one that just about prooved I had the ring on my finger. My claim went well but who of us goes around taking photo's of everything from every angle.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Does it state in anyone's policy documents that photographic proof is required to make a claim? My opinion is that insurance companies are not to blame for this situation. The people who claim to have spilt gloss paint on their carpet in order get new carpets at no cost, and the people who claim for all kinds of grand equipment after a burglary are the reason decent people have so much trouble making an honest claim.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
"6 Feb 2006 10:59 PM Lisa.

Circumstance lead me to an expensive area of this country after years travelling and working abroad. My work comes from a mainly select sector of the high end socio economic groups. My friends live and work around the world and range from rich and powerful to everyday guys due to my idylic childhood.

Some would say I am lucky in that I meet a lot of rich and famous people and get to see many world class events. "Networking" is the main way I make my living so yeah, I have "friends/contacts" from international sports stars, politics, high level public services and freinds in military services as well as many others.

My kids friends when they were younger got excited about who my girls had met through dads work. Summed up at a shared Uni house by my youngest daughter "well it's ok I guess but they sh 1 t , sweat and eat same as the rest of us".

So yep I know lots of interesting people, and I have to be nice to people in my work life.

I like a peaceful life and the caravan gives me that and when in the van you can keep yourself to yourself and set your own agenda."

cris, did you post this in the wrong place 'cos I can't see the link between this and insurance and photos?

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Smiley

If you lived in West Suffolk you could have all your personal valubles photoed by your local crime reduction team. the photos are put onto a CD. Should you then loose any of these items there is a good record that may help in thier recovery. Several of those who have made use of this service have had reductions in thier insurance costs.This is just another way of helping to make our comunity safer.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
brill idea David.

I just bought a digi camera for my daughter at xmas. I will certainly take up that idea.

We also claimed once for a window.

Woke up one morning to find my sons window in the next door neighbours garden. Ins din't ask for anything. Well who would contemplate photogaphing bricks and mortar.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
smiley

There could be problems if you take the photos but nothing that cannot be overcome. you need to have a card showing the date and time you take the photo, also if you are taking small items a ruler to get a scale is needed.do not print your photos it will tell visitors what you have.so burn the data onto a cd one last point when you burn the photos onto a cd do not put it with your collection. keep it safe elswere.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts