Insurance Question NEEDED FAST...HELP!

Apr 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi, my caravan had damage to one side that required the need for a new awning rail on that side, the problem is the caravan company has gone bust so the rail is not avaiable any longer, The repair shop will fit a rail that is NOT the same as the other side and this will make my van worth less not to mention look very silly, the insurance company have stated that they will not allow payment of a second rail to be fitted to the other side of the van to even thing up because that side was not damaged.

Ive had to make do with a repair inside the van insted of new base lockers as theses are not avaible any more and now the insurance company wont pay out for the cost of a rail on both sides to make it match.

Before i ring my insurance company i wondered what the thoughts of you good people could tell me as to increase my chances of getting a fair deal from them.

Apr 8, 2007
Visit site
Just to add to my argument with the insurance company's reply, if i had backed into a low wall and damaged one of the rear lights of my van and you could no longer get a replacment would i have to make do with a totaly different light cluster on the damaged side?

if i had car with square head lights and damaged one and there was no replacement would they expect me to fit a round headlight?

So this must also apply to my van, am i to let them fit a different awning rail to one side and not the other?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
doug

The insurance company is acting reasonably, i would have thought.

I don't think after a month or two that you will even notice the different rails.

The rear lights you would.

Get the repair done, if it looks all wrong , after a cooling of period, pay yourself for a repair.

Just my view point.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Doug,

Sorry to say but I'm on the side of the Insurance Co on this one.

The Insurance word for your situation (with regard to the awning rail anyway) is Betterment.

In other words, they would be improving your van by fitting two awning rails when only one is damaged.

It's not their fault that your van has no spares facility. They will pay for the repair of your damaged parts and no more.

I presume that why 'new for old' etc costs more.

G

You may want to do a bit of digging. The caravan Company has gone bust, but they did not make the awning rail, it was bought from a 3rd Party. If you can find that out, you may be able to get the correct pattern of rail direct. I would suspect the repair shop is taking the easy option because the time and effort to source the correct pattern, are not worth it. That is understandable but it is your van. The other option as mentioned is to get 2 matching rails fitted at your partial expense.

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
Doug

Look on the bright side, I'd be more worried about my eye sight or the shape of my head if I could see both sides of the van at the same time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Doug

I am afraid the Insurer is correct. Unless you had taken out what is known as "a pairs and sets extension" the undamaged side is nothing to do with Insurers. I bet a penny to a pound even the Insurer hasn't heard of this extension.

You may want to tease them tongue in cheek, that had you been ofered this extension you would have bought it???

As the others say makers such as Fleetwood and Avondale always bought in their moulding. I am sure a bit of trawling will get you get you what you want.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts