Insurance renewal !

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
My wife read all the info , answered all the questions that they asked, where it stays what security it has , all the ins and outs, it's kept on a gold award compound with security which you can't get in or out without going past the owners front door which is barriered and when we bring it home which isn't very often, if we are going away quite a bit of time, it's put on the drive forward so no one can come on and hitch up to it , its wheel clamped and hitch locked with 2nd car put to the back of it so no one can get anywhere near it, and is a very tight cul-de-sac where we live so tight at the best of times to get in and out.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
emmerson said:
I would be inclined to agree with you, Doc, as most towcar policies cover the van as well.... what happens if, say, it caught fire on site and the fire spread to next door's new £25,000 caravan?
If it came to that I'd need to shell out. But it is so remotely unlikely to happen that I'll take my chance. I don't use the caravan as often as most here and when I do it tends to be on less busy sites and the last few times there has been no-one anywhere near me. I am also the sort of careful and technically-minded person who tends not to have "accidents", and I don't like subsidising people who do so through carelessness.

emmerson said:
Or if the van became detached on the road, ran away and killed [anyone]
For the £130 it costs, I'd rather not take the risk.
We started this thread on £430 - has it come down to £130 already? :) I believe that scenario would be covered by the car insurance (become unhitched while driving) otherwise it would seem to be a loophole in the provisions of the Road Traffic Act regarding insurance. Perhaps Prof could advise, as his answer above left this point a bit open?
Doc, once the van becomes detached from the car, its on its own! The car insurance will not cover it. (Ask me how I know this!)
Re the lowering premium, I insure my classic van on agreed value, and the £130 is what I pay. I cannot speak for anyone else.
I wish that I could guarantee that I'm never going to have an accident.
Can you also light a cigarette with a bar of soap? :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craig.
Any chance you may make this year's Woosiefest . You are all welcome even if only for a few days. It will be great to meet you :) :)
The Insurance thing isn't so much for you but for the lesser initiated into tugging ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
DrZhivago said:
Perhaps Prof could advise, as his answer above left this point a bit open?

If you are referring to:

ProfJohnL said:
But if its unhitched and it causes some sort of incident ( sets on fire and affects other peoples property, or if runs away out of control etc) you would have no help with meeting other parties losses...

I chose my words carefully. I did not say "Becoming unhitched" I stated the condition as being "unhitched" with no reference to the tow vehicle so the Road Traffic Act has nothing to do with this situation.

As it is you property and presumably in your control, you would be personally held responsible for any costs that might arise out of an incident. There is no legal requirement for you to have insurance, but with escalating claims levels and the no win no fee ambulance chasers, you can be assured of an inflated claim if any incident occurs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the caravan becomes unhitched when on the road then the car insurers must deal with the results under the RTA. If an insurer has told you otherwise or turned a claim down then they are wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts