Insurance vs Cover

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, We are looking at insurance for our new (to us) caravan. I tried a comparison site, but looking at the reviews of the comparison site, I'd rather avoid them.
I have now looked at CCC and CAMC. As far as I see, the CCC offer full insurance and my quote has come up cheaper then the "cover" CAMC offer.
I thought full insurance would have been more expensive than the cover. What am I missing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The CMHC cover gives you the same safeguards as CCC or other good insurance policies. The only way you could see what’s “ missing” is to go through the quotation and policy schedules and T&C to compare. Caravan guard is used by some on the website and are well established.

Why do you think CMHC cover should be cheaper than CCC?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's quite variation in what is, or isn't, covered by caravan insurance and cover - this is largely reflected in the price so you need to check the policy detail to make sure you get the cover you want, and expect!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, We are looking at insurance for our new (to us) caravan. I tried a comparison site, but looking at the reviews of the comparison site, I'd rather avoid them.
I have now looked at CCC and CAMC. As far as I see, the CCC offer full insurance and my quote has come up cheaper then the "cover" CAMC offer.
I thought full insurance would have been more expensive than the cover. What am I missing?
We found the same with a recent quote and decided to go with Caravanguard saving over £100 in comparison to the Caravan Cover whose quotes were not very competitive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no real difference in the cover given by the CAMH and C&CC although depending on your outfit you might get different security requirements. I think the simple answer to the price difference is that the CAMH are probably more generous in their claims handling although some of it could be down to the individual clubs efficiency. Personally having checked the C&CC insurer I was not happy and moved to Caravanguard, the CAMH were simply just too expensive.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone. We have decided to join the CCC and get their insurance.

Why do you think CMHC cover should be cheaper than CCC?

I was reading that CMHC isn't insurance, but cover, so thought that if it isn't "proper" insurance it would have been cheaper. I may be completely wrong, i am up to my eyes in options, i may have got that confused :ROFLMAO:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone. We have decided to join the CCC and get their insurance.

I was reading that CMHC isn't insurance, but cover, so thought that if it isn't "proper" insurance it would have been cheaper. I may be completely wrong, i am up to my eyes in options, i may have got that confused :ROFLMAO:
Don't worry I got confused by it this year as well. Just think of it as insurance after all though.

Reactions: CharlieBook
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No such thing as a free lunch! Insurance is such a moveable feast making comparisons on premiums on here is no better than sticking the tail on the donkey , The variables are numerous so you never have a C level playing field
Clive my CAMC policy schedule makes no mention of IPT,
Saga caravan insurance is underwritten by Acromas Insurance Company in Gibraltar.. I can’t find who exactly deals with their claims.
IMO you pays your money and makes your choice. Whilst not cheapest CAMC at the moment have an excellent track record over many years on their attitude to claims

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No such thing as a free lunch! Insurance is such a moveable feast making comparisons on premiums on here is no better than sticking the tail on the donkey , The variables are numerous so you never have a C level playing field
Saga caravan insurance is underwritten by Acromas Insurance Company in Gibraltar.. I can’t find who exactly deals with their claims.
IMO you pays your money and makes your choice. Whilst not cheapest CAMC at the moment have an excellent track record over many years on their attitude to claims
I’d agree. I wouldn’t expect Caravan Cover to include IPT, but I guess VAT will be included. It’s very difficult to avoid VA.T. CMHC do give good cover and service, plus in this case the cheapest of four quotes. As you say comparing quotes on a forum is almost impossible as there are too many variables. Unless you live next door to each other and do the same jobs. 😂

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’d agree. I wouldn’t expect Caravan Cover to include IPT, but I guess VAT will be included. It’s very difficult to avoid VA.T. CMHC do give good cover and service, plus in this case the cheapest of four quotes. As you say comparing quotes on a forum is almost impossible as there are too many variables. Unless you live next door to each other and do the same jobs. 😂
No VAT on CAMC invoice. IPT is the only Tax I am aware of that applies to Insurance policies but not on CAMC

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must be remembered that the track record is probably based on Caravan Insurance claims and not on the current Caravan Cover. Previously insurance was under written by a known insurance company, but unsure of current status regarding any underwriters for the caravan cover. However both products are / were very good.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It must be remembered that the track record is probably based on Caravan Insurance claims and not on the current Caravan Cover. Previously insurance was under written by a known insurance company, but unsure of current status regarding any underwriters for the caravan cover. However both products are / were very good.
There’s been ongoing discussion wrt the CMHC Caravan Cover since August 2020, so I assume that it was set up sometime before then. So there’s been almost 3 years of track record on top of their previous offering of insurance. In the intervening period haven’t they won an award for Caravan Cover. Really surprising that it’s still up for debate. All anyone really needs to know are price, schedule, and reputation.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Then why ask your question wrt tax on caravan cover?

I don't think I have ever asked this, I was relying to the question posed earlier.

There’s been ongoing discussion wrt the CMHC Caravan Cover since August 2020, so I assume that it was set up sometime before then. So there’s been almost 3 years of track record on top of their previous offering of insurance. In the intervening period haven’t they won an award for Caravan Cover. Really surprising that it’s still up for debate. All anyone really needs to know are price, schedule, and reputation.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts