Insurance while towing

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
My current insurer (in the small print) states the van isn't insured while being towed, anyone know if it's covered on the car insurance or are we all to lose £10k plus should the unthinkable happen on our journey.

Jeff

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A lot will depend on your car insurance policy Jeff but if the car insurance does provide any provision for towing you can bet that it will only cover third party damage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jeffo

Without seeing the full wording it is hard to give you an accurate comment.

However , I suspect what you have read is the caravan insurance policy exclusion relating to third party property and bodily injury claims arising whilst the caravan is attached to the towing vehicle.

In accordance with the Road Tradffic Act Compulsory Insurance section your motor vehicle policy covers this risk.

Any damage caused to your caravan whilst under tow should be dealt with by the caravan insurer.

If you are not sure write to both insurers for clarification.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jeffo, I agree with Dustydog, the experiance I had was, my car insurance dealt with the damage to the other vehicle which the rear of my van clipped whilst turning and the caravan insurance covered damage to the van.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
that is my understanding of the insurance issue when towing. the caravan becomes part of the insured vehicle when it is on tow, however the insurance company (all as far as im aware) will provide an exclusion stating that any towed trailer is only covered 3rd party, therefore as has been stated they will pay for any damage to the "other" vehicle but not to your caravan or trailer. this is why everyone is advised to take out separate caravan insurance for the van, it may not be a legal requirement but it sure is a common sense requirement in my eyes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts