Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

New to caravanning, what does everybody do about caravan insurance?

If I take out a general insurance to protect it from damage, theft etc, does this cover it on the road if I breakdown or do I have to take out seperate breakdown cover? Will greenflag cover me? Do I have to tell the car insurance that I am towing a caravan? Help!!

Deb

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi debbsie, yes the breakdown cover is separate from your caravan insurance, I am with RAC and if I broke down while towing they would recover the van as well as the vehicle. Check with your own breakdown cover to see if caravan included. i don't think you have to tell your car insurers when you are towing, but i do on the basis that they are very picky about 'withheld' information.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Deb,

There are many companies that will insure your van. Breakdowns are different, I would recomend the caravan and camping club they provide a complete pacage of insurance and breakdown cover with the RAC. great value for money, one final point inform your car insureres that you will be towing a caravan, in the event of accident they may not pay out, a friend of mine did not do so and lost a lot of money, as long as they are told it is put on file mostly at no extra cost, worth a phone call.

Happy camping Jim

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need

1) Car insurance (let them know you will be towing)

2) Caravan insurance

3) Vehicle breakdown insurance. I use CCC / RAC Arrival as they guarantee to tow the car and Catravan (or Motorhome) whatever size.

4) If going abroad Tell your insurers and get A travel ins policy (CC or CCC know what they are doing).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts