insurance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
got some insurance from e&L

fully comp for £1000 had a mishap with my caravan and it was written off claimed off the insurance but they wil only pay £225 this is there book price has anyone else had this problem?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would expect a payout of the order of what it would cost to replace the van with a similar model, age and condition. You could dispute the payout with the company on this basis, but like car insurance, whatever 'value' you declare the car to be the payout is fixed on the trade guide.

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Valuations for insurance purposes are always intriguing - they could make a tv series out of it! Tne first question is whether you have new for old, agreed value or market value cover. I thought I had new for old - but apparently because I filled in a box regarding my caravans value, that overruled and I got that level of cover. Now, if that figure had been higher than new cost, I'm told I wouldn't have got that value, just replacement cost. Anyway, with me so far???? If you have market value cover, is it the trade in value of your van or the price to buy an equivalent one - lets face it, the two can be a long way removed! Some would say that you just get trade value, others would argue that the point is to put you back in the position you would have been - so the cost to buy similar.....

Its all designed to help the insurance company blind you with science and grind you down. My suggestion is to find examples of the replacement cost of the caravan you have lost and stand by your guns for that value. Then when you have the money don't buy another van as you'll only have to give most of the money back for your massively inflated new premium.

Cynical, me????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts