Interesting Powrtouch Evolution experience

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We're away in Bridgnorth at the moment, but when leaving storage experienced an interesting Powrtouch issue. We had moved the van out to couple up. All fine, but when we went to the next stage, another van started to manoeuvre into its space close to ours. At that point, ours started to misbehave, not stopping when the finger came off the button. We'd had this years ago, but not investigated. This time we spoke to the other people (they had no issues) and I found if they were moving the symptoms happened, so we waited for them to switch off their mover before coupling - as we'd already had the van trying to push the car out of the way.

Just though others may be interested.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The movers will operate on the same or a limited number of frequencies. In the circumstances having two being used near each other is likely to cause a problem with all makes. If this happens it needs one party to switch it off.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I wonder what the odds are of 2 movers, on the same frequency, in close proximity, being moved at exactly the same time? Probably about the same as winning the lottery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The movers should operate rather like a bluetooth system, The specific transmitter should have been set up and paired with a specific receiver when it was installed, and the movement instructions from the transmitter should be encoded so they don't interfere with any other devices in the same area.

I suggest contacting the manufacturer for further advice.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The movers should operate rather like a bluetooth system, The specific transmitter should have been set up and paired with a specific receiver when it was installed, and the movement instructions from the transmitter should be encoded so they don't interfere with any other devices in the same area.

I suggest contacting the manufacturer for further advice.
Well in this instance that's clearly not the case.!

Personally I wouldn't expect there to be an infinite number of "pairing" combinations and, purely by happenstance, these 2 units would appear have the same pairing codes (but, like always, I could well be wrong)

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I wonder if it's simply Radio Frequency (RF) Interference simply because the two units are very close together.
If that was the case I am sure this situation would have come to notice long ago on campsites where a lot of movers are in close proximity

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
It's an interesting anomaly, and potentially dangerous (or damage causing) if one of the movers doesn't respond to a 'stop' command from the handset.

I once had this happen to me in storage but luckily the caravan did stop before the hitch carved a nice dink into my rear bumper. It's never done it since and I'm now wondering if this was the cause too rather than just a 'sticky' button which I assumed was the cause when it happened.

I did read a claim on a forum a long time ago where somebody claimed they knew somebody who had been crushed and injured when their mover didn't stop when it should have done, but I admit I was a bit sceptical at the time.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
My guess is remote and controller paired by a code. Most likely there are only a few codes eg 256 which was case with original garage door openers. Every so often two MMs with same code will be operated next to each other, rare but possible.

Some older car remote entry systems had this issue. If your neighbour had same car and code could be very fustrating. In case of garage could at least change code via dip switches.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Unique Frequency Handset tuning has been a big boast of Powrtouch for many years. Allegedly the frequency for handset to brain box is carefully set at the factory to avoid what has been suggested here,
It will be interesting to hear what Powrtouch have to say.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Unique Frequency Handset tuning has been a big boast of Powrtouch for many years. Allegedly the frequency for handset to brain box is carefully set at the factory to avoid what has been suggested here,
It will be interesting to hear what Powrtouch have to say.
But you can pair another remote to the control unit in the event of failure (or loss) of the handset (it takes seconds) so it's clearly not dependent on being paired together at the factory.

Reactions: JRT
Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
We're away in Bridgnorth at the moment, but when leaving storage experienced an interesting Powrtouch issue. We had moved the van out to couple up. All fine, but when we went to the next stage, another van started to manoeuvre into its space close to ours. At that point, ours started to misbehave, not stopping when the finger came off the button. We'd had this years ago, but not investigated. This time we spoke to the other people (they had no issues) and I found if they were moving the symptoms happened, so we waited for them to switch off their mover before coupling - as we'd already had the van trying to push the car out of the way.

Just though others may be interested.

Had the same issue a a few years ago. Contacted Powrtouch and they arranged for new control units to be fitted.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
I had 'crosstalk' with our caravanning friend's movers and learned to deal with it. later they changed to a twin axle (quad mover) so (happily) it doesn't happen now. it's since happened on rallies but not often, The opinions stating a limited number of pairing codes seem accurate and, most of the time it's not a problem because 'vans seldom move at the same time. Rallies give more chance of 'crosstalk' because caravans are more likely to be moved simultaneously.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Never experienced this, but I do make sure no-one is ever standing in a spot where they could be injured should the mover fail to act as expected. A 1.6 tonne caravann is not to be trifled with.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But you can pair another remote to the control unit in the event of failure (or loss) of the handset (it takes seconds) so it's clearly not dependent on being paired together at the factory.
Precisely! That’s why I’d like to hear what Powrtouch say😉

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
There's a lot of misinformation about 'pairing' and powertouch and other movers employ a single frequency pairing method , you put the receiver into listen and learn mode and if a handset transmits a specific command including an ident code ( serial number of the unit) on one of several frequencies then the receiver acknowledges that, exits learn mode and only receives commands on that frequency. Other hand units which also transmit on that frequency may interfere with the command string and initiate a response from the receiver - hence the odd actions the mover reported.
I don't know if the handset sends out it its unique serial number with every command string, which would help reduce the receiver misinterpreting a command string, even if it did, a specific burst of radio signal from a second hand set mid command string may cause the incorrect action ( timing would have be pretty precise, but not impossible)
Bluetooth 'pairing' is a lot more complex as bluetooth comms involves frequency hopping during each command string ( message) sent.
Which frequencies are to be used (out of the available band(2.4 to 2.8GHz) and their sequence they are used in during the message is decided between the two units during pairing( often a code is sent which has to be confirmed), During transmission and reception there is a lot more handshaking ( comms backward and forward) to ensure the correct 'packets' of info have been received and from the correct (paired) device , This way it is a LOT less likely the messages can be intercepted ( If you tuned a radio receiver to one of the frequencies, you would only receive only part of each message) also it means interference from another bluetooth system is less likely and if a full command is not received the request is rejected and the receiver asks for a re-send.(As Sheldon Cooper says , everything's better with Bluetooth). Reich movers have the option of fitting a Bluetooth dongle which using the free Reich app on a smartphone makes their system even more robust. Powertouch may have a similar option on their kit , but I have not come across it.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
There's a lot of misinformation about 'pairing' and powertouch and other movers employ a single frequency pairing method , you put the receiver into listen and learn mode and if a handset transmits a specific command including an ident code ( serial number of the unit) on one of several frequencies then the receiver acknowledges that, exits learn mode and only receives commands on that frequency. Other hand units which also transmit on that frequency may interfere with the command string and initiate a response from the receiver - hence the odd actions the mover reported.
I don't know if the handset sends out it its unique serial number with every command string, which would help reduce the receiver misinterpreting a command string, even if it did, a specific burst of radio signal from a second hand set mid command string may cause the incorrect action ( timing would have be pretty precise, but not impossible)
Bluetooth 'pairing' is a lot more complex as bluetooth comms involves frequency hopping during each command string ( message) sent.
Which frequencies are to be used (out of the available band(2.4 to 2.8GHz) and their sequence they are used in during the message is decided between the two units during pairing( often a code is sent which has to be confirmed), During transmission and reception there is a lot more handshaking ( comms backward and forward) to ensure the correct 'packets' of info have been received and from the correct (paired) device , This way it is a LOT less likely the messages can be intercepted ( If you tuned a radio receiver to one of the frequencies, you would only receive only part of each message) also it means interference from another bluetooth system is less likely and if a full command is not received the request is rejected and the receiver asks for a re-send.(As Sheldon Cooper says , everything's better with Bluetooth). Reich movers have the option of fitting a Bluetooth dongle which using the free Reich app on a smartphone makes their system even more robust. Powertouch may have a similar option on their kit , but I have not come across it.
Wow, superb explanation! Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts