Intermittenty 12N plug fault.

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
I have recently been experiencing an intermittent fault with the indicators between my Rover 620 and Avondale Argos 'van. They work OK when first hooked up but occasionally the tell tale bleep stops - it seems to work again after going over a bump or two. It seems it is a break in the connection between car and caravan. I have taped the socket and plug together (when connected) with electrical tape and the problem wasnt so bad. Can anyone recommend a more permanent solution that I could try before I check the wiring? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Julian, I cannot think of much you can do without 'checking the wiring' even if only with a test lamp or meter.

As taping the plu / socket together improved the situation an inspection of the pins / sockets is called for. If it is only the indicators ( I asssume both sides) but lights, brake lights etc are not affected then it has got to be the indicator circuit somewhere (and not the common earth).

Do the caravan indicators stop flashing or is it just the bleep? Either way you need to confirm if it is the car or the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would check the wiring inside the plug/socket for loose connections aand open the slots up in the plug to ensure a tight fit

Then if that doesn't work I would check the wiring in the car boot and see if "scotchlocks" have been used .They are great for a quick fit job but give lots of trouble due to the small area of contact.(particularly if moisture gets in)

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
i had the same problem on my abi nightstar a couple of weeks ago. i traced the problem to the bulb in the rear lampholder. i took it out and wire brushed it and the bulb holder as well and this sorted the problem.

ste

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had this problem in the past and found that the pins in the plug from the van become very slightly compressed, making a sloppy connection, mostly on the indicator circuit.

Usea small, flat bladed screwdriver and open upthe pins, they have a + shaped slot in them, just a little, then a good spray of plug and socket with WD40, should find a big improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts