Internal water problem

Sln

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi, we are away at the moment and after filling The onboard water tank there is no water coming from the taps and no sound of pump working but when you lift the taps the control panel illuminates as if the taps were working. When the internal pump switch is on we get an electric shock from the door and window surrounds. Any help appreciated. Thank you Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets cover electric shocks first.

My initial thought is the internal pump may have failed.

But it does not explain the electric shock you tell us about. You don't tell us if the shock is a continual tingle, or whether its short and sharp and happens only when you first touch the caravans metalwork.

If its short and sharp with no long term tingle, then that suggests its a static discharge, and that's not dangerous, just disconcerting. To prevent it you could try fixing a piece of wire from the metal work of the caravan to a metal tent peg, and pushing it into the ground.

If you get a continual tingle, this could be more serious and you should make sure the mains hook is is disconnected immediately, and at the earliest opportunity get the electrics checked by an approved electrician.

Sln

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi not to sure if it's continually as I haven't tried to hang for to long I'll leave that one to the wife to find out :)
As to the pump is there a pump attached to each tap in the caravan or one pump on the circuit as it sounds when it's working like one on each tap.The taps are Reich micro switch taps if that's any help.Also when the external pump is on and you open the tap water comes out with very little pressure.
Thanks for replying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravans will normally only have one pump that delivers water to all the taps. The pump will be controlled either by a pressure switch or by a micro switch in each tap. Just a note: many caravan manufacturers will uses taps with switches built in, but not use the switches, in favour of a pressure switched system. The way to tell is to look under the tap, and if the wires from the micro switch are not connected to any thing , you have a pressure switched system.

If the micro switch wires are connected to the caravans wiring, its likely you have a switched tap system. IN these systems all the microswitches are connected together in parallel, so if any tap is turned on the switch completes the circuit and the pump should run.

As for low pressure, it may depend on what your expectations are. It wont be as forceful as your taps at home, becasue the pump must not produce more than about 1.5Bar pressures other wise fittings and appliances may start to leak. Where as your home system might be up to 6Bar. As for flow ( i'e' quantity per minute ) again it will be much less than your domestic system, In a caravan you will be doing well if you see 3 to 4 Litres per minuet. Often it will be nearer 2L/min

From the nature of your questions and answers I suspect you are new to caravanning. If you have technical problems, It might be good idea to speak to your caravan dealer, and to try and get to read the instruction manuals for your appliances. These will usually answer most of the basic questions.

As for the electric shocks, please follow mt previous advice to disconnect from the mains until the system has been properly checked by a qualified person.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
My Cartagena has an internal pump but also a plug in one which is used with the external tank. If this is not fully pushed into the socket on the ‘van it won’t work although the pump light on the control panel indicates that it is.
With regards to the electrical shock I had this happen and discovered that the earth on the bollard was not connected. The shock wasn’t severe, just a slight tingle.

Sln

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again.I have a external pump a whale submersible pump on the outside this is working fine.The tank fills as normal.I have had a tap apart and the little button on top of the micro switch seems to turn the light on and off at the control panel.I have followed the pipe work around the caravan and can't find an online pump.is The pump on the plug of the whale exterior as there seems to be some adjustment on it.The caravan is a Sterling Eccles elites searcher 2001
So it's a an older caravan but never had problem s for the past five years with it.I live in Normandie so finding a dealer not an easy task.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sln,
Thanks for a bit more info. The wires on the taps show you have a switched tap system. I couldn't find the detail spec of your 2001 caravan, but in 2006 the caravan had an internal pump and your reference to "it fills the tank" makes me wonder if your caravan has an internal cold water tank and internal pump.

Its beginning to look likely that your internal pump may be failing. Generally most internal pumps were diaphragm pumps, which sit outside of the storage tank, and are quite noisy, but I do recall that some manufacturers used a submersible pump, similar to the one you have for filling the tank.

You should be able to find replacements for either type accross Europe. They don't have to be the same make as the failed one, just a similar specification. Key features must be maximum pressure 1.5 Bar, and supply Voltage 12v.

Many UK dealers will send spares abroad given your circumstances

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof,
Didn’t Sin say he had an external whale submersible pump on the outside?
I very much doubt he would also have an internal pump.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Prof,
Didn’t Sin say he had an external whale submersible pump on the outside?
I very much doubt he would also have an internal pump.

Yes he did say that, but I couldn't find the details of the 2001 model but the later 2006 model of the had an internal pump, and his reference to "filling the tank", suggested he may have an internal cold water storage tank, so the external pump is just to enable water to added to the internal tank from an Aquaroll. I do recall working on such systems in the past.

Until the OP can give us the detail of his system we can't be certain.

Sln

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys,
I'm back home now so I can get it apart.I have Reich micro switch taps so do these taps have a pump attached to them as when they are working it sounds like the pump is under the sink.
The tank at the front is filled wit the external whale pump.So does this mean the taps pump the water if so is it possible There is a bad earth and they have fried.
I have read if you get the micro switch out and connect the wires together the pump should work.But it's all the taps on both sinks and the shower.The 1st thing I done was to check the fuse and this is ok but I changed it anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sln said:
Thanks guys,
I'm back home now so I can get it apart.I have Reich micro switch taps so do these taps have a pump attached to them as when they are working it sounds like the pump is under the sink.
I can't tell you where your pump is, but it could be under the sink

Sln said:
The tank at the front is filled wit the external whale pump.
That seems correct

Sln said:
So does this mean the taps pump the water if so is it possible There is a bad earth and they have fried.
Without being able to see the components Its not really possible for us to confirm if that's the problem, but a bad earth is unlikley to "fry" a switch. Also 12V dc systems don't use the "earth", they have a Positive or negative wire.

Sln said:
I have read if you get the micro switch out and connect the wires together the pump should work.But it's all the taps on both sinks and the shower.
If non of the taps causes the pump to run, then its unlikely that all the switches will have failed at the exact same time, so that suggests it will either be a wiring or a pump fault.

Sln said:
The 1st thing I done was to check the fuse and this is ok but I changed it anyway.
Why change a fuse if its OK?

If teh pump light is coming on, but no water delivered, then its either a wiring problem to the pump, or the pump its self.

Sln

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi I am not a caravan engineer so I have come to this site for help.If you use this site to belittle people.I do hope this makes you feel better.I do know that I will now be using another site as there are many,And I will be letting people know of my experience..

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Sln said:
Hi I am not a caravan engineer so I have come to this site for help.If you use this site to belittle people.I do hope this makes you feel better.I do know that I will now be using another site as there are many,And I will be letting people know of my experience..

Sln,

The Prof can be concise and direct in his responses, I don't think he was belittling you at all (but I understand if you interpreted otherwise).

Give the Prof a little leeway, he is one of the good guys really, you just need to know his ways ;) .

Hope you stay with us and get the answers you need, pretty sure you will.

Regards,
John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reading all of the posts I can’t find any that would come under the definition of “ belittling’. Profs advice has been comprehensive and he’s analysed the possible reasons for your problems based on the information available to him and his experience. As said above stick with it and you’ll find good advice when you need it.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Sln ;
From what I have read , theres no 'belittling' has occurred, I've read worse ! The prof is very precise in his replies & very thorough, you've asked for some problem solving & you've getting some replies ?!
I don't see any need to leave this forum and go to another one and slate this one, it's a perfectly good forum with perfectly good information & knowledgeable people.
I've learnt a lot in five years and still learning .

Craig .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sin, if you look at the number of posters asking for replies , you can narrow it down to maybe 30 to 40 people, The Prof comes back with direct results which to some seem, belittling , but, it is not,, by all means go to other sites as we all do and yo may get answers from the same person, under a different name, we are all trying to help.
Best regards,
EH52ARH, Hutch, ,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very disappointing the OP didn’t find us helpful. :(
Reviewing the thread again all the Forumites were correctly asking questions, drilling down , to analyse the problem and seek a resolution.
None of us has ESP :woohoo: Extra Sensory Perception.
The questions alone are equally as important as the solution and very often gives other people a clue where to look with their own problems. Don’t stop asking!
No matter how remote the question may be therein may lie the answer :kiss:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts