Internet abroad

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Which service provider is cheapest for internet abroad,have an Orange dongle and their website says £2.94 a Mb which seems a lot to me,going to Holland,can I buy a dongle there?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if it is so in Holland, but in France McDonalds have free wifi and yu don't have to buy anything. Depending on particular location you can sometimes park up close to the building and get a signal.

there may be public hotspots in/near libraries or toher public buildings.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Deli Dave

When in France during the last few years I have used a variety of sources for free wi-fi internet use.

Some Campsites, eg, Chalon de Champangne, Salbris. Some it is necessary to get close to the main buildings - others have coverage over the whole site, the latter means that the laptop can be used for longer plugged into the caravan electrical supply.

Tourist Information Offices, eg, Portes en Re, Sallanches

MacDonalds, in Sallanches I sat in the adjacent public car park, that meant I could run the laptop longer via an inverter.

Various other locations, eg, the computer shop in the market place in Argeles Gazost offered free, 24 hour wi-fi. They announced this on an notice on the shop door and even provided a table and chairs for clients!!!

Some of these free wi-fi "hotspots" need a password others don't.

It is important to remember that these wi-fi sites, particularly the ones without passwords, are VERY insecure and should preferably not used for confidential information like internet banking.

Beware too those campsites that do charge for wi-fi connections it is often very expensive and time-limited, eg, so many hours in 24.

Wi-f is very useful we use it emails home, checking out campsites and places to visit, travel routes even go on caravan forums!!

Have a good holiday but don't spent it all on the computer!!! I was reprimanded and reminded I was on holiday by a passerby on the site at Salbris!!!

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Deli Dave

When in France during the last few years I have used a variety of sources for free wi-fi internet use.

Some Campsites, eg, Chalon de Champangne, Salbris. Some it is necessary to get close to the main buildings - others have coverage over the whole site, the latter means that the laptop can be used for longer plugged into the caravan electrical supply.

Tourist Information Offices, eg, Portes en Re, Sallanches

MacDonalds, in Sallanches I sat in the adjacent public car park, that meant I could run the laptop longer via an inverter.

Various other locations, eg, the computer shop in the market place in Argeles Gazost offered free, 24 hour wi-fi. They announced this on an notice on the shop door and even provided a table and chairs for clients!!!

Some of these free wi-fi "hotspots" need a password others don't.

It is important to remember that these wi-fi sites, particularly the ones without passwords, are VERY insecure and should preferably not used for confidential information like internet banking.

Beware too those campsites that do charge for wi-fi connections it is often very expensive and time-limited, eg, so many hours in 24.

Wi-f is very useful we use it emails home, checking out campsites and places to visit, travel routes even go on caravan forums!!

Have a good holiday but don't spent it all on the computer!!! I was reprimanded and reminded I was on holiday by a passerby on the site at Salbris!!!

Tim
Don't forget the use of SKYPE!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts