Introduction and query

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I'm a newbie MHer with a 6m PVC based on a Fiat Ducato. Haven't gone too far yet but OH and I are hugely enjoying the freedom. Manufacturers (Vantage) have been very good with queries but I remain slightly confused as to the correct use of the onboard battery charging arrangement.

This has got two switches: a primary on/off and then a secondary off/leisure/vehicle. I'm unsure how the charger functions and how to use it to its maximum benefit. We have a solar panel and tend to use hook-up when we stay on site. Should I have the master switch in the on position by default and use the secondary switch to direct charge to either vehicle or leisure batteries as I see fit?

I hope some of you experienced MHers can help a electrically-challenged newbie!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jondy, welcome to the forum - and to motorhoming!
I'm not familiar with your particular van, but the way we use ours is to leave it set to "on" and "caravan" (in your case "Leisure") all the time. The vehicle battery shouldn't need charging from the hook-up even if the wiring allows for that - and many don't, even using the changeover switch.
Most of these units were designed for caravans - as far as a motorhomer is concerned, the only real use for the "Vehicle" setting is if you've run the leisure battery down when not on hook-up. You can then switch over and run the habitation equipment from the vehicle battery, but I'd do so VERY sparingly - perhaps for a bit of light last thing at night, and the water pump in the morning. You don't want to be left with both batteries flat! Unless it was night-time with people sleeping nearby, in that scenario I'd rather use the vehicle battery to start the engine, and top up the leisuure battery that way.
Hope that helps - and keep asking those questions!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi there Jondy and a very warm welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum – thanks for posting and introducing yourself. It is great to hear you're enjoying motorcaravanning so much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts