Iona, and the Abbey of St Columba.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
After crossing Mull to Fionnport, we got the ferry across to Iona. Unfortunately we just had time to walk to the abbey and back to the Ferry as it had taken longer than expected to cross Mull and we needed to get back to Fishnish for the last ferry.

Iona and the Abbey
resized_d0dc30c5-ad04-4072-9b5b-305eb649edc1.jpg

The other end of Iona
resized_167ff037-75c6-4f07-a4a2-df1eb9e95ec5.jpg

And two of the best views from the rest of the holiday

resized_3f51dcc8-99c0-439a-a048-0239fd88b4ea.jpg

resized_74f0a408-df01-4e57-a13e-425aaaf4c8dc.jpg

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Saw the title and thought you would be asking a question about an Abbey Caravan :unsure:

THEN.....I saw the piccys, stunning, who needs to go abroad...............oh you are abroad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Hope you had time to breathe in the air and the atmosphere on Iona. Resident only vehicles helps the calm. The drive across Mull affords some wonderful vistas, although as you say almost entirely single track with passing places which is not one to rush and can be quite challenging if you coincide with 5 tourist coaches in convoy coming the other way! You capture the stunning views beautifully in your photos which proves it isn't always wet and windy which was my experience the other year! You can caravan on Mull, Sheiling holdays being just off the ferry from Oban (or two sites nearby on the mainland) which would give you more time to spot the otters or the white tailed sea eagles.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hope you had time to breathe in the air and the atmosphere on Iona. Resident only vehicles helps the calm. The drive across Mull affords some wonderful vistas, although as you say almost entirely single track with passing places which is not one to rush and can be quite challenging if you coincide with 5 tourist coaches in convoy coming the other way! You capture the stunning views beautifully in your photos which proves it isn't always wet and windy which was my experience the other year! You can caravan on Mull, Sheiling holdays being just off the ferry from Oban (or two sites nearby on the mainland) which would give you more time to spot the otters or the white tailed sea eagles.

Its a beautiful place and so peacefull, but Im rather guessing it can be bleak if the weather is bad. We met very little on the roads, but then again, its was a couple of weeks BEFORE Easter so not really much holidaymaking going on. Its not just Mull though, the views across the water to some of the other islands is truly stunning. Most of the pics are a wee bit slanted as madam was taking them through the windscreen on her mobile, Ill get round to sorting them out one day.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John Smith , the best Prime Minister we never had, is buried under a massive stone in the Abbey graveyard.
Very magical mystical trip to Iona.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
My first visit to Iona was when I was aged 10, that's a mere 65 years ago. Having just received my first bike, which my dad had to fit blocks to the pedals; the night before.
We cycled to Oban from our village of Blackburn nr Bathgate in 2 days, caught a ferry; heaven alone knows where it was going, as we had to lower the bikes out a side hatch down onto a rowing boat and were rowed to the island.
Quite an adventure then but it was soo worth it,such a beautiful, quiet place to stay, I think we stayed in a SYHA hostel but not too sure.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My first visit to Iona was when I was aged 10, that's a mere 65 years ago. Having just received my first bike, which my dad had to fit blocks to the pedals; the night before.
We cycled to Oban from our village of Blackburn nr Bathgate in 2 days, caught a ferry; heaven alone knows where it was going, as we had to lower the bikes out a side hatch down onto a rowing boat and were rowed to the island.
Quite an adventure then but it was soo worth it,such a beautiful, quiet place to stay, I think we stayed in a SYHA hostel but not too sure.

Really does sound like some adventure. For a 10 year old the ferry must have seemed like quite something.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, I could go on for ages about it, but I don't want to hi-jack this topic so I'll shut up and enjoy those wonderful photographs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, I could go on for ages about it, but I don't want to hi-jack this topic

Please do. I would love to hear about it. Both Mull and Iona were very sparsley populated and it felt like going back in time. back to when the ferries were just ordinary boats that would drop you off, it must have been a very different world again. More insular I would think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts