Iron bridge shropshire

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all re ironbridge shropshire, only 80 miles away but have never been, We have 4 days of at the end of Feb, can anyone suggest any decent sites or even a cl or cs to cut down on cost.
hopefully close enough so we can walk or get a bus to main museums.
Or does anyone have any tips on places to visit in the locality.

Thanks hope you can help
John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John
The museums are in Coalbrookdale which is near to Ironbridge but I don't know of any sites in the immediate vicinity of Ironbridge Gorge.
There are a couple of nice certified sites around Much Wenlock which is a pleasant Shropshire town worth a look around but they don't open until March.

I've stayed on Kites Nest Farm which is a very quiet C&CC certified site about ten miles from Ironbridge. The site is not far from the market town of Bridgnorth with it's Victorian cliff railway and the nearby Severn Valley Railway.

Kites nest is at the end of a very long (about 1 mile) unmade farm drive, it's very secluded and quiet. It has e.h.u. and a single (reasonably clean) toilet but no shower. There are hard standings of stone chippings and the site is gently sloping, prices for ehu are about £10 per night. It's definitely a car journey away from the museums (or anywhere else) but the site is open all year and has pleasant views across the rolling Shropshire hills.
The entrance to the potato farm and site driveway is easy to miss so if you decide to stay there it might be best to have a look on Google street view to see the entrance, you will need to tow slowly up the drive because it's uneven in places but the c.s. is ok when you get there and the farm dog is friendly and inquisitive.

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
There is the C/CC site at Ebury Hill its a lovely quiet site, but no toilet/shower block you will need to use your own caravan,s toilet etc. Never been to the Ironbridge but believe from Ebury Hill its easy to get to from the site. Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Parksy and Erica
Thanks for the info. will be hopefully booking tomorrow depending if the short list of sites are actualy open, fingers crossed.

Cant beleive iv never made it in that direction before. so looking forward to it, plus our first outing of the year which makes maters even better.

Will let you know where we book.

Cheers
John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Wrap up warm!
Much Wenlock is a nice little town with some priory ruins and Wenlcok Edge and The Wrekin give good views from the top. If the weather is really bad Cosford Aerospace Museum isn't too far, there's a lot to see under cover. Shropshire is a lovely county, never too crowded because many visitors drive on through to visit Wales instead. A bit further south is Ludlow with some magnificent medieval buildings and good restaurants.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi John
I had to reply to this one. I'm originally a Shropshire Lad although exiled Merseyside for many a long year. I still visit the area as my brother still lives in Telford.
I know the Ironbridge area well as I grew up in Madeley about 2 miles away and in fact played at the Blist Hill Museum site when it was still a derelict industrial site!!!
When my parents were alive and living in Madeley we used to stay at Severn Gorge Campsite which is on the outskirts of Madeley. I'm not sure what it's like now as it is has had a lot of holiday homes added I believe. It is a surrounded by woods and was very pleasant when we stayed regularly a few years back. It's in walking distance of the shops, pubs, etc of my home town of Madeley and, a walk/easy drive to the Blists Hill Museum site which has been developed as a a wonderful Victorian "town". The Madeley area has, I feel, not been improved by the large sprawling estates built as part of Telford, but that's a personal opinion!!
You can read reviews of it here
http://www.ukcampsite co.uk/sites/reviews asp?revid=2301
If you are a Caravan Club member there are a good selection of CL sites in the Sites Directory.
As has already been said there are a number of campsites in and around Much Wenlock which is in itself a very pretty, historic market town with a ruined Abbey and other historic buildings. (I was born in the Cottage Hospital there!!) Much Wenlock is about 10 mile pleasant rural drive from Ironbridge, one passes another ruined abbey at Buildwas. Buildwas Abbey is in a lovely setting near the banks of the River Severn.
Ebury Hill CCC site is about 13 miles from Ironbridge and it has a lovely rural setting on a small, wooded hill a couple of miles from Shrewsbury. We stayed there in 2010. It was formely used as an army base and the site roads and building bases have been adapted to be hardstanding pitches. It has a small lake at its centre. Ebury Hill is very handy for Shrewsbury which is another fascinating town with its castle, wealth of historic buildings and interesting shops set in a loop of the River Severn. Shrewsbury is the setting for Ellis Peter's (I used to be her newspaper boy!!) "Cadfael" stories Shrewsbury is about 15 miles from Ironbridge. There are plenty of campsites near Shrewsbury.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=Shrewsbury&by=town
Bridgnorth is another site in travelling distance of the Ironbridge Gorge Museums. It is a lovely old town built on two levels on a sandstone cliff next to the River Severn with a funicular railway joining the two parts. It is, also, the home of the Severn Valley railway which runs steam trains along the valley. There are a number of sites in the area.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3 asp?search=Bridgnorth&by=town
A site that may be of PARTICULAR INTEREST to you is the CC CL http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/shropshire/leofarm.htm
I've not stayed here but it is actually on the top of the Ironbridge Gorge and probably the nearest campsite to the Ironbridge which is only about a mile away. Ironbridge itself is a lovely, although very touristy village clinging to the steep sides of the wooded gorge. (I used to pass the Ironbridge on my way to my Secondary School but that was before it became so famous!! an my Dad worked for the Coalbrookdale Company - the successor of the company that actually made the bridge)p>
With regard to the Ironbridge Gorge Museums I would recommend you get a passport ticket which will enable you to visit all of the sites over a period of time. It will take several days to do justice to all of the sites- Blists Hill alone is a easily a full day's trip. In the summer season I think that the are coaches running between the museum sites as parking is very limited at some of the museums but parking should not be so bad in February.Regards Tim

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
RAF Cosford is free but the refereshments are not so take your own.( Dont go today as my eldest is there on a school trip).
Blists hill is well worth a visit, very interesting .
On the whole i found coalbrook dale museums very expensive, but we saved by stayong on little Cl outside Much Wenlock.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for all the comments,
After trying several sites we have ended up booking the leo farm cl site right near the Iron bridge..
We are brand new to the cc club and this will be our first time using one of their sites let alone a cl site. So used to the larger commercial sites, however thanks to your reveiws of the area we cant wait to go. Now even managed to change our dates to cover the whole half term holiday with the kids. with special gratitude to my wifes ward manager agreeing to cover her shifts. now 15 sleeps to go and counting.

The owner of the cl seamed more than freindly and even seamed embarrased that they require just a £10 deposit. I wish all site owners could be this genuine and helpful. Detailing vouchers he has to allow access into the museums.

Cant believe ive not been to ironbridge before, especially after having the industrial revolution and history of the area drummed into us at school. Be funny to see how much I can recall.

Once again thanks for all your help. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
John

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi John
I'm glad to hear that you've got yourself booked at Leo's Farm. I@ll be interested to hear your opinions of the site after you've been as I've often thought of staying there myself. There is a lovely walk up through the woods from the Ironbridge to near the campsite which we did when our kids were young.
It's good to hear that you've got a full week there as there is a lot to see just in the museums and lots of other places nearby too. Our kids particularly loved the "Victorian town" at the Blists HIll Museum. You can change your money into "old money" at the bank and then spend it at the shops - the traditional sweet shop is great for the kids and the pub's good for Mums and Dads!!! The Tar Tunnel is, also, great fun for the kids.
Just writing this information for you has made me think I must be due another visit!!! As a young lad I used to think the was a bit boring but in my old age I've come to realise what a gem it is.
Have a super time.
Best wishes
Tim

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We live in ironbridge. I know of no CL or CS in easy distance that are open end of Feb. There is CC AS site at Bridgnorth that is open and very good but I consider it very dear. You are best to search the CL CS data base on Telford, Newport, Much Wenlock and Bridgnorth. Bridgnorth is 12 miles from the Victorian town, (Blists Hill museum). A CL I know is high trees in bridgnorth. It has hard standing and EHU if needed. Excellent views and very quiet. Access is via a 2 mile lane that is generally OK and has passing places when needed. The area is lovely, we would say that wouldn't we. Telford has at least 10 supermarkets and diesel is cheapest in the area at supermarkets and a shell station at Stirchley, just off the A442. Don't know what you like to eat but the best cake you have had recently is available at the Castle Tea rooms in biridgnorth and the best meat pies atre available at teh horse and jockey, on the madely road out of ironbridge. Enjoy.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, just returned
What a fab place this is.

We all had a great time.
The ironbridge gorge contains 10 museums you buy a family passport for £50 for a family ticket and this gives you entry to all the museums for a year.
We are already planning to go back later in the summer.

We stayed at Leo farm cl site just above Ironbridge itself. A basic site with just a hook up and a tap by the entrance, but with great unspoilt views right across to telford.

The only problem we had was to trust the sat nav. it brought us through Ironbridge then up a 12% incline from the valley floor, towing a twin axle up that sort of gradient took all the cars power and a crawl up the last couple of meters Phew. but well worth it. Next time ill look at a map and enter via much wentlock.

Thanks for all your advice now cant wait to go back.

cheers
John

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi John
I'm pleased that the Leo Farm CL worked out well for you and that you enjoyed "my bit" of Shropshire. I'd been thinking that I might try that site myself when I'm next down that way so I value your recommendation. Sorry about your struggle with the hill up from the bottom of the Gorge was that the B4373 to Broseley?- there are some pretty steep ones on both sides.
As you say Shropshire is a beautiful county. When I left in my youth I used to think it was a bit dull but now older and wiser "exiled" in Merseyside I realise what Shropshire offers. Ah well not too long to retirement and then who knows!!
Tim

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tim the clime up from Iron bridge was via Bridge road up to Benthall Lane. Looked at google and all seamed ok, however in practice passed the bridge on the right swung the unit left around the large hair pin bend and then started up the hill. By then committed, didnt realise how steep it gets in parts. (doesnt show that on google earth)
Pulling a twin axle with a volvo xc90 from vertually a standing start after the hair pin up a 12% min gradient. must be mad, car slowly lost all power and creeped up the final stages at a walking pase. with us all crossing fingers toes and cheering the car on.

Next time will head out towards much wentlock, take the hgv route around the village and enter from the top. much easier.

Also live in merseyside so only an 80 mile run, cant believe Ive not been there before, spent the whole week just in iron bridge, Quick trip to tescos in Telford and thats it.

Next time plan to head out further to see the seven valley railway, Telford steam railway, and out to shropshire itself.

Great part of the world booked again for early July to go back. should at least be a bit warmer.

ps only now weve come back there is a series on sky called the Victorian Pharmacy which was all fillmed within the bliss hill victorian town. Just adds to the experience for the kids to shout weve been there. lol

Cheers
John

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Flipping heck John- you mean the you went up the hairpin which starts near the Ironbridge itself!!! I'm not surprised you struggled. I don't think I'd like to try that towing. As you say the hairpin is so tight that, as you found, you have to slow to nearly a standstill. You did well to make it at all- well done!!!
After you'd crossed the River Severn on the "New Bridge" you could have started up the way that you went but then swung sharp left and followed the B4373 up into the centre of Broseley - that's a much more gentle climb. You should then be able to get to Benthall Hill and the campsite via Broseley High Street. Incidentally if you do go back I would recommend Wedges' Bakery in the centre of Broseley. It's run by 2 brothers who I went to school with Richard and Roger Gough - their bread and cakes are WONDERFUL. If you do go mention my name (Tim Irwin) - you might get a discount. My Mum Kath worked their part-time too many years ago - she used to bring home the left over-cream cakes on a Saturday afternoon- that's probably how I started on the road to being BIG Tim!! (LOL).
There's certainly lots more for you explore in Shropshire and, as you say, it's not far from Merseyside. Bridgnorth is a fascinating place as well as the Severn Valley Railway it has a spectacular position overlooking the Severn with a funicular railway joining the high and low towns. The Air Museum at Cosford is, also, very good. Shrewsbury, too' is a beautiful town with lots of interesting buildings and a castle. The Roman fort at Uriconium is worth a visit and I think I read recently that they are reconstructing a Roman villa there. Out to the west of Ironbridge there is the Shropshire Hill country with lovely towns like Church Stretton and miles of unspoilt countryside..
Just "chatting" with you has made me feel nostalgic for the old county. I'll definitely have to book Leo's Farm for a visit soon!!!
Regards
Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts