is 2007 fully booked?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its that time of year again when its nice to look forward to booking time away with family and friends who share the caravanning bug. Or is it ........everywhere we have tried to book ( CC sites ) are full , every bank holiday and numerous other dates , forget it . Full , booked up on day 1 of release . what happened to being able to say lets go to blaa blaa for the weekend , what has happened is the CC have got a super website that allows you to book until the cows come home with no deposits to pay or penalties if you don`t show up , leaving only either scotland or devon /cornwall with any spaces and for those of us in the middle not able to reach these places for a nice short break. Am I just getting grumpy old man symptoms or does anybody else feel the same. Pip

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
This might not help--but!

You could retire early and become a mid week caravaneer. Sites are empty, no children around. Touristy places open but empty, cycleways empty I could go on but am sure that with every subject I will get another 'miserable old bu--er'from somone!!! but I can cope.

ttfn

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
We have just joined this brigade, so we are looking forward to midweek touring, and then doing all our house and garden bits at the weekends when all the sites are full and noisy.LOL.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Shiba,

Keep off the sites in July & Aug.but then in Sept.there is a mad rush of silver haired 'vanners in the 1st couple of weeks,and then it begins to calm down again.

We keep well away from Bank holiday w'ends now and enjoy the peace and quiet during the week.

Happy caravanning.

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
Simple answer all members who feel strongly about this situation should put forward a proposal to (a)ask for a non refundable deposit with all bookings and (b)all no shows to be charged for full booking non payment means removal from the club (c)two no shows membership suspended.

Feb 10, 2007
Visit site
there are lots of steam rallies and country fairs on over holiday weekends some are held in some realy nice parts of the country, a lot of them have camping,it normaly is much cheaper than a camp site ,and it usualy includes admision to whatever show is on.we try to get to about six or seven a year,its much more interesting than a camp site.try one i am sure you will enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pip

I had the same problem for Easter,CC sites were full apart from Cornwall or Scotland, I tried the CCC website and managed to book a fully serviced pitch, plenty of other sites were available too,mind you I did have to pay a deposit, also found that commercial sites still had B Holiday dates available again deposit required, and in one case full payment was required, I don't understand why CC operate the no deposit booking system, it seems there are quite a few other forum users who agree.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Pip, understand your frustration. I returned to caravanning last year after nearly 20 years away and was disappointed to find the same problem. In the end, I've opted for a seasonal and I suspect this is why this option is so attractive for so many. No searching for pitches, and arrive and leave as and when you like. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but it does have certain advantages...! Good luck with your site hunting.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
When a C.C. site looks full on the internet website I have found it is often worth contacting the site direct. The site itself will have more up to date information.

Mile E

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I realised at the beginning of this week that I had forgotten to book anything for the May Bank holiday weekend as I'd intended - I booked Cirencester CC without any trouble. I booked most of my holidays for this year in January, all school/bank holidays and on cub (both) sites, without any difficulty.

Given that so many people regard club sites as the benchmark, it's probably not realistic to expect to rely on being able to book them at short notice, regardless of whether deposits are introduced.

Are the C&CC sites any better than the CC ones as a result of taking deposits? I haven't been at this long enough to know.

I have been told by a warden that there are always cancellations, and the site (that particular one at least) will keep a list of stand-bys, but the first refusal goes to members already on the site - this generally included a number of people 'looking for houses' who will stay as long as they can up to 21 days, and who mopped up the first cancellations each weekend. I suspect this trend will increase given the price of houses in certain parts of the country, in the same way as increasing numbers have taken to living on canal boats.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we tried to get on longleat for 3 years in holiday season and this year we actually got on (horay for me) BUT only after we'd booted up the computer and had the phone number on redialall ready for 9 o'clock on the morning it opened the booking line.

And then we still never got through till about 10.30

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Alan,

I wonder if you end up with Brownies on the next "cub" pitch!!

Seriously i have found CandCC sites do not get booked up anything like as quickly as caravan club sites. I can only put this down to the deposit you have to pay to the CandCC.

I have often heard CC members say "we book lots of sites in advance as it costs nothing in advance and you can always cancel".I class this attitude as totally irresponsible and shows a total lack of consideration for other members.

Untill the caravan club bring in a a decent deposit say 20% this problem will continue. Members who have respect for other members would not suffer.

I have met many people on club sites who have sold homes and are living in their caravan looking for a new home in that particular area.They are usually retired, have sold and banked their money, and as cash buyers are in a good position to get a good deal.May do this myself soon.

Hamer

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
On the other hand I have booked a site (CC) for the 1st May bank Holiday but as we may not have our new van by then I would lose my deposit for a reason outside of my control.

I have given myself a self imposed ultimatum to cancel this booking in Early April. But what do you when a dealer say's delivery sometime in April.

MH

Jan 4, 2007
Visit site
I have booked a few weekends and a couple of weeks during the summer on CL's, including some over bank holidays. I have had no problems, including sites in the New Forest, Cornwall and the Peak District.

Sep 28, 2005
Visit site
Try the Wild Rose Park in Ormside, Cumbria which should be available from 14/03/07. It is a new caravan park.
Although this is a lovely site (I have a seasonal pitch, although take it off to tour accasionally), it is far from new. I stayed there camping when my eldest daughter was about 3, she's 16 now!

TRENDING THREADS