Is a 3.0L A4 Quattro adequate?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys (and girls!), as this is my first post, please be gentle with me!

The current caravan is a 2003 Elddis Avante 630 with a MTPLM of 1675kg and MIRO of 1415kg. I'm towing it with a Mitsubishi Delica L400 that, while weighing in excess of 2000kg, feels rather underpowered when towing with only 125bhp on tap. This is especially noticeable on any kind of incline. It's also a thirsty beast, returning less than 20mpg towing, low to mid 20's solo.

I'm hoping tha the collective knowledge / experience here can convince me that a 3.0 litre Audi A4 Avant Quattro with 233 bhp is enough car to safely tow the van? According to t'internet, the kerbweight of the Audi is 1705kg, giving the ideal towing weight of 1449kg, which is quite a bit less than MTPLM of the 'van.

As I've got my heart set on the A4 (or an A6 saloon with the same engine, at a push!) can anyone offer some sound advice?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

First and fore most do not rely on third-party internet sites as your only checks, many of them have errors in their data, so always check the weight limits etc with the vehicle documentation or their respective dealers or manufacturers.

I note that your current outfit has a combined MAM in excess of 3500Kg, and based on the figures I have available it also likely that your new outfit will also exceed a combined MAM of 3500Kg. This is fine if you passed your driving test before 01/01/1997, but if you passed your test after this date then you are limited by the Cat B to a combined MAM not exceeding 3500Kg. You have to take the extension test to gain Cat B+E to cover your outfit.

With the above in mind my own data sources are internet based, and the only figures I have for the Audi 30L Diesel A4Q are 2005 Manual KW 1610 Auto 1655, and MTW 1700. I only have an Elddis Avant 630 listed as a 2004 model, with MIRO 1415 and MTPLM 1675.

Based on the figure I have, your towing ratio will be 101% (Auto) and 104% (Manual). They are technically within the range that Audi have established the car can handle and are legal. (Towing ratio is MTPLM of caravan/Car Kw x 100%)

The bhp per tonne is substantially better than the Delicia so you should notice a distinct improvement in performance. This will help you to maintain speed on motorway inclines, But I have doubts whether you would be able to utilise the extra performance in any other way without compromising safety. Caravans do present some unique issues due to their large surface areas and weight.

Extra power may tempt you to use more speed, and that is one of the biggest factors that induce instability in an outfit.

It is beyond doubt that a better safety factor is achieved when the trailer is a light as possible compared to the tow vehicle, and it is towed at lower speeds.

I would not recommend this out fit to a novice, and I would urge even experienced caravan towers to use caution.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply gents.

Looks like I'll be taking the plunge on a 2005 Allroad. The kerbweight is 1815kg giving an ideal towing weight of 1543Kgs. I know the all up weight of the 'van is a little higher, but having read other peoples experiences of towing with Quattros, I'm quite happy. And 60mph is my absolute max speed when I'm towing anyway!

With regard to entitlements etc, I passed my test a few years previous to '97 so again, no problems there.

Cheers,

John.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
John

I use to tow with a 1.8T Quattro Avant.

Once you have towed with four wheel drive you will not look back.

I will only buy a four wheel car now, whether for solo or towing.

The two negatives i had with the audi was tramlining with the 225/45/17 tyres. This may not effect yours.

Also i found the 80kg nose limit restrictive. Again this may not affect yours.

But what you will find is more than adequate power. Good luck.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
And i forgot to mention, the lowered sports suspension was a negative for me, but obviously your Allroad has the raised ride height.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
cheers for your comments Ray.

I'm with you on the 4 wheel drive thing. Wifes' car is a Golf 2.8 4Motion, but that's what's making way for the Allroad. Also had a A4 Avant Quattro and both are fantastic motors.

Should hopefully get the Allroad on Tuesday.

Only time I had to use the 4x4 on the Delica was to get the 'van off of a very wet pitch.

I'll be sure to report back here when I've done some towing with the Audi.

Cheers,

John.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts