Is any one familar with this tow bar?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to the label it is a TriMotive and would have been fitted at some point in the past 4 years. I am assuming it is a towbar connection and not a bracket for bicycles to be carried? It seems to have the connection for attaching the breakaway cable? All the detachable I have had previously the top end that fits into the bracket has been square and not round? Please advise as can find very little on TriMotive. Thanks.

Tow bar brand.jpg

Towbar connection.jpg

Tow bar connection1.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if this will fit. See HERE.
Is it just the detachable bit?

Certainly Westfalia are a well known make, but you cannot just go sticking a Westfalia tow ball into another manufactures tow bar socket. You would have to remove the old kit and have a complete new towbar assembly fitted. Plus it excludes adblue models and you need a bumper cut out. Why not see if you can fix the Trimotive kit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it just the detachable bit?

Certainly Westfalia are a well known make, but you cannot just go sticking a Westfalia tow ball into another manufactures tow bar socket. You would have to remove the old kit and have a complete new towbar assembly fitted. Plus it excludes adblue models and you need a bumper cut out. Why not see if you can fix the Trimotive kit.
Just the detachable part is required so no fixing required.. Isn't Adblue only for petrol cars and not diesel? TriMotive originated in Australia so maybe the change of name?
A search eventually threw up that there was an automotive business in Swansea and they may have been supplying the towbars etc, however they closed up shop perhaps due to pandemic?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just the detachable part is required so no fixing required.. Isn't Adblue only for petrol cars and not diesel? TriMotive originated in Australia so maybe the change of name?
A search eventually threw up that there was an automotive business in Swansea and they may have been supplying the towbars etc, however they closed up shop perhaps due to pandemic?
Are you winding us up? Surely your car will be on adblue given it’s a recent model diesel

here’s another link. Given the info in your picture why not contact Trimotive and see what they can advise. Their contact details are on the two links I provided.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Trimotive in Swansea we’re part of the Oxford group who retail to motorcycle customers. In Germany they seem to cover a range of automotive products and Ford used their tow bars and roof bars etc a few years ago. So probably best to contact the German business and give them details of what is fitted to your car and if they can supply the missing detachable towball.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Went to car to check and it does take Adblue. Thanks for the heads up. I guess that all Adblue are the same?
Adblue is just a specification - so it's the same whatever brand you buy - be aware that it does have a shelf life, particularly once the container is opened -also be aware that Euro 6 cars won't start if the Adblue runs out - they won't cut out on you though if they run out during a journey.

I have a 19.5 litre tank and the warning comes on at 1500 miles, about 5 litres left - I buy 2x 10 litres online from wherever is cheapest including delivery - and then wait until I get the warning and add a full 10 litre container.

My experience shows that Adblue consumption when towing is disproportionally high compared to the diesel used.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went to car to check and it does take Adblue. Thanks for the heads up. I guess that all Adblue are the same?
There’s an ISO standard for Adblue or DEF as it’s sometimes referred to. I guess if you buy from a reputable outlet it’s quality should be satisfactory. I dare say main dealers prices will be more than Halfirds.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There’s an ISO standard for Adblue or DEF as it’s sometimes referred to. I guess if you buy from a reputable outlet it’s quality should be satisfactory. I dare say main dealers prices will be more than Halfirds.
Halfords Adblue is £20 for 10 litres - I paid £32 online for 2x 10 litres recently.

Some garages do have it available on pump, much cheaper.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What is your VW dealer price as a comparison with Halfords. ?
I only bought one small (1.89 litres) container from VW when the car was new, specifically to use the contents and then cut the bottom off the container so I could use it as a "funnel" as it screws onto the tank and has a valve to stop over filling.

There is a little publicised scheme for VW dealers to top-up Adblue for £1.50 / litre incuding labour but most dealers seem to deny all knowledge.

The urea in Adblue is a by-product of fertiliser manufacture which has a high energy cost - the increased costs have pushed up the price of Adblue.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Halfords Adblue is £20 for 10 litres - I paid £32 online for 2x 10 litres recently.

Some garages do have it available on pump, much cheaper.
The Jeep takes 8 gallons or 30 litres of the stuff. Thought it was just a couple of litres?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I only bought one small (1.89 litres) container from VW when the car was new, specifically to use the contents and then cut the bottom off the container so I could use it as a "funnel" as it screws onto the tank and has a valve to stop over filling.

There is a little publicised scheme for VW dealers to top-up Adblue for £1.50 / litre incuding labour but most dealers seem to deny all knowledge.

The urea in Adblue is a by-product of fertiliser manufacture which has a high energy cost - the increased costs have pushed up the price of Adblue.
If the VW topped up that price it’s not too expensive and cheaper than Halfords 10 litre.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Jeep takes 8 gallons or 30 litres of the stuff. Thought it was just a couple of litres?
Don't fill it completely unless you're doing very high mileage - your 3.0 diesel will probably do 400-500 miles/litre so 15,000 miles per tank which could deteriorate if you do low annual mileage.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don't fill it completely unless you're doing very high mileage - your 3.0 diesel will probably do 400-500 miles/litre so 15,000 miles per tank which could deteriorate if you do low annual mileage.
They top it up at every service which is at 12500 miles. We do less than 8000 miles a year. Probably a lot less this year!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They top it up at every service which is at 12500 miles. We do less than 8000 miles a year. Probably a lot less this year!
I wouldn't be happy with that arrangement if it were mine - some of the Adblue in the tank will be beyond it's shelf life - but maybe your Jeep will use a lot more than my VW, then it won't be an issue!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't be happy with that arrangement if it were mine - some of the Adblue in the tank will be beyond it's shelf life - but maybe your Jeep will use a lot more than my VW, then it won't be an issue!
Let me rephrase that. Service book states "completely fill Adblue tank" which I assumed meant they top it up. I understand what you are saying about shelf life and it makes sense. Maybe they are expecting the adblue to be nearly finished after 12500 miles> I wonder if it is possible to drain an adblue tank?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Let me rephrase that. Service book states "completely fill Adblue tank" which I assumed meant they top it up. I understand what you are saying about shelf life and it makes sense. Maybe they are expecting the adblue to be nearly finished after 12500 miles> I wonder if it is possible to drain an adblue tank?
Ask on a Jeep forum what Adblue consumption rates are being experienced by other users

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts