Is insurance required?

Feb 7, 2006
Visit site
Just bought a cheap (£1500) 4berth tourer to put in the garden and to stay in while we have some work done on the house. We may use it for some touring over the summer.

What is the position regarding insurance? Is it a legal requirement for any caravan? Or, subject to checking the policies, would it be legal for it to be covered under house insurance while in garden, and car insurance whil being towed?

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I don't believe that it is a legal requirement, as it will be covered by your car insurance 'third party' whilst being towed (like any other trailer). People will recommend that you tell yor car insurance company that you are towing, as some count towbars as modifications.

Don't know about the house insurance question, but I'm sure somebody will...

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I doubt very much if House Insurance will cover your caravan in the garden, after all, it is not part of the house, or fixtures and fittings.

Whilst Insurance is not legally necessary, it is well worth taking out a policy, especially if you intend towing, unless you can afford to pay out the amount of money generated by a claim , shoul dyour van cause damage to another road use, or even death to a person.

You should tell your car insurance company that will be towing, if that is what you intend to do, and put it in writing to them, as they woul dhave a strong case to refuse a claim otherwise.

Also , get them to confirm that the van will be covered for 3rd party risks whilst being towed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
no it is not a legal requirement to insure your caravan,BUT!!

YOU MUST TELL YOUR INSURER YOU ARE TOWING A VAN.

IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT WHILE TOWING-YOU ARE INSURED IF YOU DAMAGE ANYONE ELSES VEHICLE OR PERSON.

YOU ARE NOT COVERED FOR THE COST OF THE VAN ITSELF IF THAT IS DAMAGED,ALSO IF THE VAN DETACHES ITSELF WHILE TOWING AND DAMAGES ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT COVERED

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
The bottom line is that if the van becomes detatched and mows bown a bus queue of Bankers ( or Estate Agents)( sorry the latter was not a good example) Your house would only be the first thing in line.

ttfn

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts