is it better to buy a new van in France?

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I am planning a long trip through France and Spain, 2 - 2.5 yrs, I want to buy a new van and like the look of the Chausson 728. Not only is there a large price difference if buying in France but it will also be a left hand drive. Has anyone faced any problems buying in France with registration etc?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I know someone on another forum who (over the years) has bought at least three new LHD vans in Belgium, for registration here in the UK. He always swore he saved thousands - and the new prices I've seen advertised in France always seem pretty keen too. Another example of Rip-off Britain?
Not heard from him for a while, but I'll see if I can track him down for any words of wisdom.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi ineptmod45. Just to let you know I've moved this thread from the new members area to the more appropriate 'Buy & own' section of our forum. Thanks for posting!

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Germany or Belgium probably better then France,but i have no experience of importing from there. Look at prices on mobile.de to identify dealers. Some are more experienced than others with exporting.....

One of the main advantages in Germany is they have temp export plate with insurance scheme that allows you to drive van back. France don't have this, Belgium being convenient dealer can drive van to port for you....

Lots of homework required. But savings significant so worth the effort.....

Eddie

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Andrew, Eddie is the guy whose e-mail address I sent you.
But now he's joined us here, can I ask you to put your Qs and As on here, where others can benefit too? Unless it gets too specific for that.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Probably reading too much into the OP but if he was intending to buy and immediately use the van in France then he would find it almost impossible unless he has a second home here to prove some sort of residency. The Belgium or Germany option would seem better, import into the UK, re register (with a new speedo and head light cluster) save the old cluster for the foreign trip and depart on the European tour. With a new van you only need to make sure that you make arrangements to pay your insurance and road tax while away.

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info, we are looking at heading straight off after buying the van but will have no residence in France for the registration. I am guessing that a lot of the price saving is for registration costs in the UK but will have a look at the Belgium/German option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts