IS IT OK TO TUBULAR HEAT VAN INSTEAD OF DRAINING DOWN??

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Now that's a reason that I can understand but it does throw a poor light on the design of some caravans where the noseweight is only achievable by such radical means.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
As you know Lutz I tow with a maverick so having the nose weight at 100kg is not a problem. But if I changed to a people carrier for instance I would be trying to get the noseweight down to around 85 kg . I think in that example I would have to make every weight saving measure I could so draining down would come into play.

brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, well actually I wasn't talking about you but I was making a comment based on your reply. But Brian was also referring to the same issue.

I don't have a noseweight problem, but if I did water in the tank would actually improve the situation as the on-board tank is immediately behind the axle.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this again, but I am reading posts about winter caravanning (see Winter Caravanning in Equipment and Accessories, for one), and the only advice seems to be to protect OUTSIDE waterpipes/containers.

So what do winter caravanners do about their INTERNAL plumbing to keep it safe from frost damage. They obviously can't drain down the water pipes and leave taps open,etc, on a freezing night, or all the other things that people have recommended for winter storage.

In other words, they rely on the caravan's internal heat to do the job - which was what I was suggesting I might do during cold snaps to protect from frost...(But was advised by many esteemed Forum contributors not to!!)

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Reply from Truma about draining down for travelling.

TRUMA

Park Lane, Dove Valley Park

Foston, Derbyshire, DE65 5BG

Truma Service/Technical 01283 586020

Lines open 8.30am - 5.00pm Mon - Thur, 8.30am - 1.30pm Fri

Dear Colin,

This is not nessesary, just when you leave the boiler for long lengths of time, or when you have cold weather to avoid freezing.

Kind Regards

Jason - Service Engineer

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Surely, the main point of concern is regarding the safety / desirability of draining the system from the aspect of the caravan, not the water heater itself. Of course, there will be no damage to the heater if it is left full of water during transit. The concerns are a) the additional weight of the caravan - is this permissable? and b) the result of this extra weight upon the caravan's noseweight - likewise, is this still within the permissable range?

The impact will diifer in each individual case and, as such, an individual assessment will need to be made as to the choice of whether to drain down or not. Fuel costs are also a factor, albeit a small one.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd say, if you need to drain the system in order to stay within the overall weight and noseweight limits, you're cutting things a bit fine anyway. As the caravan can weigh up to 15kg more on a wet day than on a dry one (due to the insulation soaking up moisture - this has nothing to do with damp) anything that close could see you over the limit, depending on the prevailing conditions when the caravan is weighed.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
i agree - its each to his own as far as deciding where to cut down on weight if we are near our limits - I've even bought a skinny dog (a whippet) so we've got more leeway with our car!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
We have never drained down caravans as we make sure they get heated during the winter alongside the house.

If caravanners are concerned about a little water weight why do so may carry so much equipment such as forty foot of wind break, battery drills and enough outfits and preening ware for Paris fashion week apart from personal BMI that seems to get bigger year by year on sites.

On a more serious note, does any one check under their caravans to check drooping pipes that hold a lot of water if people are so

near weight limits?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts