Is it really Christmas?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Giblets and offal were on the school dinner menu. Remember liver and onions, stuffed lambs heart, devilled kidneys, chicken liver pate. And Haggis includes the lungs as well , all part of the excellent taste😋😋

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cheap sausage meat looks dreadful, but a lot of people like that type of food. Many foods are made from mixed low grade cuts of meat, offal and poultry. The finest Pate and similar Terrines are made from parts of the animal you would not eat on its own, but are delicious.

Doesnt it back to the days when people tended to use the whole animal, and now look down on foods that contain non prime cuts. Yet in all probability they are often tastier than some prime cuts. Some of the eats such as pasties, pies, clangers etc were food for working folk and were transportable for eating away from home.
Our latest addition to the fridge contains 172 gms of pork per 100 gms serving. ???

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Giblets and offal were on the school dinner menu. Remember liver and onions, stuffed lambs heart, devilled kidneys, chicken liver pate. And Haggis includes the lungs as well , all part of the excellent taste😋😋
I was in Oban when an American asked what was haggis, tatties and neeps. The waiter explained that tatties were potatoes. The visitor responded that she didn’t like potatoes. Similarly he explained that neeps were mashed swedes. Visitor again said that she didn’t like swedes. After which the waiter said “ I don’t think that you will be wanting the haggis then”

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Doesnt it back to the days when people tended to use the whole animal, and now look down on foods that contain non prime cuts. Yet in all probability they are often tastier than some prime cuts. Some of the eats such as pasties, pies, clangers etc were food for working folk and were transportable for eating away from home.
Our latest addition to the fridge contains 172 gms of pork per 100 gms serving. ???
We like searching for recipes for "Peasant Food" as we call it. France and Spain as well as UK has many ancient recipes for the foods which were available to the people with little if any money. The upper classes were regularly over-eating on the prime cuts and making themselves ill, while the lower classes were eating minimalist, healthy diets. Nothing has changed except that we are nearly all now upper class.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Mask up. It’s behind you Ray😜
After Nicola's latest announcement it is certainly not ahead of us any more and our booking for the Scottish Caravan & Motor Home show has gone down the drain. Next year looks to be getting off to the rubbish start of last year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We like searching for recipes for "Peasant Food" as we call it. France and Spain as well as UK has many ancient recipes for the foods which were available to the people with little if any money. The upper classes were regularly over-eating on the prime cuts and making themselves ill, while the lower classes were eating minimalist, healthy diets. Nothing has changed except that we are nearly all now upper class.

You would like the chicken gizzards as a starter in Lou Bombareau in the centre of Montignac. 🐔

Reactions: Hutch

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
After experiencing the delights of Chinese night markets, where everything is brought "fresh" to the table, I consider all European food to be fine.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

"Remember liver and onions"
Certainly do, came home from work on Monday evening and there it was on the table ready to eat............delicious 😋
No bacon this time though as there was so much liver:(

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
To this day I will never eat any of that mentioned especially tripe and onions. Also detest sweet potatoes.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To this day I will never eat any of that mentioned especially tripe and onions. Also detest sweet potatoes.
As a butchers son we had tripe and various offal included in our meals. Not only are they reasonably healthy options and tasty but we need to use the whole animal to avoid waste, to me I see no problem and unless you have tried them you will never know if you like them.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
As an aside on weird foods Idid eat three snake meat soup. Just like chicken🪱
Yes me too. I was treated to a Cobra at a Chinese night market. It was brought to the table, wriggling. A wok stand is assembled at the side of the table (a crock drain pipe is placed vertical on 3 stones, and the rubber gas pipe with a steel tub in the end is thrown on the ground between the stones). The gas it lit and the rocket fires up. The wok is located on the top. The still wriggling snake is skinned and bled into a glass (if you are the guest of honour you get to drink that) The snake (fish/bird/reptile) is plunged into the wok where it instantly cooks and is served to the diners. The snake came after the water beetle course, (You have the challenge of catching these in your fingers, then eating them alive). I baulked at the Armadillo brought to the table in a bucket and hanging onto the rim for dear life. Apparently a valuable delicacy. I had had enough and quit at that point, much to the disappointment of our guests (It is a gesture of good faith and generosity in China to invite the guest to choose the venue).

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think I maybe the token 'Lentil Lover' here but tomorrows festive feast is not going to include lentils however we will do our bit for climate change by having stir fried brussel sprouts. Of course this will be a side order to go with Mushroom, Shallot and Thyme Steamed Pudding.

Vegetarian haggis is only good for the bottom of hamster cages.

Have a great day tomorrow folks.

Frosty.JPG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts