Is it really Christmas?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That what my Letts diary says.
I did not think anyone still used a diary in this day and age. I have been sent a beautiful bound 2022 diary by my regimental association. Unfortunately it will probably end up in the cupboard next to the 2021 diary they sent last year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I did not think anyone still used a diary in this day and age. I have been sent a beautiful bound 2022 diary by my regimental association. Unfortunately it will probably end up in the cupboard next to the 2021 diary they sent last year.
Why shouldn’t people use a diary ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Please read my post again as I never stated that people should not use a diary. I use a diary for my appointments, but my diary is Outlook or the Calendar on my phone. Both work quite well for me.
I use Apple calendar on phone PAD and MAC but also find a small pocket diary very convenient as I can write appointments in it when out far quicker than using the phone. It’s also quicker when it’s placed at the coffee table beside my chair and I may be taking a phone call as I can write into the diary whilst holding the phone and conversing. As long as it has a pencil it works. No charging required. 😃

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thankfully, I am still able to remember, appointments to about a month ahead. Wifey is filling up the kitchen notice board with files of paper hanging by magnets.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Well, It's going to be another odd one.
Daughters 19th birthday on Christmas eve, she didn't get to celebrate her 18th and was hoping to do something this year to try and make up for it. But she is a vulnerable person so the new strain as cobblered that :(
As a family we usually celebrate on boxing day (Boxmas as we call it) but several of the older family members have decided not to come this year so it won't be the same. (normally about18 of us attend, down to 10 this year)
For the first year in about 20 I have a few days off before Christmas, 5pm today can't roll round quick enough so I can finish work until the 29th. No plans though, will probably deliver some presents to people and have a chat on the drive. trying to stay 'rona free until at least the 26th

Hope everyone has the best Christmas that they can manage

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Shock horror my wife has just returned from Sainsbury as she was after some foodstuffs that tend to have shorter BBE, or EB dates. They were out of pork pies apart from mini ones. Not a sign of anything of reasonable size. I said it wasn’t essential to be a Melton Mowbray one, but still a no go. Our granddaughter was going to make us one but she’s hoping to pick up some shifts in the pub, so we got cancelled. My mother and the maternal grandparents will need an apology from me as with the surname Dickinson and hailing from near Melton Mowbray I will need forgiveness. The good news is that the dogs have their chew stick treats with Turkey and sage. Great 😂

Off now to tour the farm shops and Waitrose et al.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Shock horror my wife has just returned from Sainsbury as she was after some foodstuffs that tend to have shorter BBE, or EB dates. They were out of pork pies apart from mini ones. Not a sign of anything of reasonable size. I said it wasn’t essential to be a Melton Mowbray one, but still a no go. Our granddaughter was going to make us one but she’s hoping to pick up some shifts in the pub, so we got cancelled. My mother and the maternal grandparents will need an apology from me as with the surname Dickinson and hailing from near Melton Mowbray I will need forgiveness. The good news is that the dogs have their chew stick treats with Turkey and sage. Great 😂

Off now to tour the farm shops and Waitrose et al.
We ordered the Dickinson & Morris pork pie as part of the delivery today. Between ordering Online last night and delivery today the price jumped up by 10p. for the 140gm The can opener jumped up in price overnight by £1 however on their website it is still £3!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We ordered the Dickinson & Morris pork pie as part of the delivery today. Between ordering Online last night and delivery today the price jumped up by 10p. for the 140gm The can opener jumped up in price overnight by £1 however on their website it is still £3!

A good move by you. We are now sorted, good news our local M&S Foodhall had some, so we got two 440 gms. with dates to 28 th. But they will be long gone by then.
A good Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is now guaranteed.
1A08F02A-2C9D-4BB7-96D8-827ED4519803.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we lived near the butcher in Stourport every year we used to order a large pork pie. Would last us Christmas and New Year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lately , due to Fat Club , I look at the content label. Sadly and somewhat disappointingly a M M Pie only contains 40% pork. A Richmond sausage 28% pork and worse still a Ginsters Cornish Pastie manages a magnificent 15% meat content.😥.
Penny to a pound the MM pie had more meat content in the 60s? That said I can’t help but succumb to one😋😋😋

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lately , due to Fat Club , I look at the content label. Sadly and somewhat disappointingly a M M Pie only contains 40% pork. A Richmond sausage 28% pork and worse still a Ginsters Cornish Pastie manages a magnificent 15% meat content.😥.
Penny to a pound the MM pie had more meat content in the 60s? That said I can’t help but succumb to one😋😋😋
If you buy the MMPP from MS you will get 47% pork. Dare not look at the other ingredients, but nothing that a scoop of Huel cannot sort out.🐷

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you buy the MMPP from MS you will get 47% pork. Dare not look at the other ingredients, but nothing that a scoop of Huel cannot sort out.🐷
The problem with labelling requirements is that different parts of the animal aren't separated - so the percentage can include all the parts that most people wouldn't dream of eating.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The problem with labelling requirements is that different parts of the animal aren't separated - so the percentage can include all the parts that most people wouldn't dream of eating.
That makes it even worse! I thought the % had to be lean meat?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
My uncle used to be a butcher many years ago.
I sometimes went to his shop as a young lad to help out in his shop.
I couldn't believe what went into the mincemeat. 🤮

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
A decent Pork Pie contains a mixture of Pork cuts, including fat and herbs selected to give flavour. Our local butcher makes their own with great jelly. A nice cold Black Pudding goes well with the pie too. English mustard, and good bread is essential!
In our locality, we have noticed the shops are looking quite sad and definitely not Christmassy, however our village centre is well lit up with Christmas lights, and we will be singing carols with the rest of them on Christmas Eve, then it's home for some mince pies, sausage rolls and a couple of Beverages.
Away with the caravan after the Christmas weekend for some walking and New Years Eve - Yippee!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
My step father had to do a repair in a factory that processed meat for sausages and hot dogs. He never touched another sausage for the rest of his life.
Cheap sausage meat looks dreadful, but a lot of people like that type of food. Many foods are made from mixed low grade cuts of meat, offal and poultry. The finest Pate and similar Terrines are made from parts of the animal you would not eat on its own, but are delicious.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cheap sausage meat looks dreadful, but a lot of people like that type of food. Many foods are made from mixed low grade cuts of meat, offal and poultry. The finest Pate and similar Terrines are made from parts of the animal you would not eat on its own, but are delicious.
Haggis is very tasty - but many are turned off when they know what goes into it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts