Is it worth taking the bbq to scotland next week?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi we are starting to pack the van (Pegasus 534, very pleased with it by the way!) ready to go to Scotland, Dumfries up to Loch Lomond and across to Edinburgh. Wondering whether it is worth taking the bbq or will the midges keep us inside? Any advice please?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Loch Lomond you will find midges, plenty of them. They are very welcoming and ravenous
smiley-laughing.gif

I don't think you'll find them in Dumfries though, nor Edinburgh.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Lesley, as LB says, they`ll be out all around Loch Lomond, Edinburgh should be ok. As for Dumfries, it depends whereabouts your staying, as to how bad they will be. If you are using a proper bbq ie Charcoal, the smoke should knock them back a bit. Don`t forget your Avon `Skin so Soft`

AKA

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
In a word no!!! only if it is to scare the mossys its only been 13c here for days
smiley-cool.gif
even to cold for many mossys they have more sense than us humans

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes take your bbq, If there is a slight wind they will not bother you, the smoke from your bbq will keep them away, and I live in scotland and can say that people go ott about mosseys.
Have a good time .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lesley
Take the BBQ and plenty of giood old smoky sausages. They 'll keep the little biters at bay. If you smoke, chain smoke. When I smoked I never got bitten . Since I gave up the devils are making up for lost time. From experience I think the Loch Lomond area is the only one which may cause concern. If it's windy or raining they'll hide away.
Keep and eye on
http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/home/
This in fact has just started the new 2011 season.
We stayed at the Edinburgh CC site on marine Drive north of the city. Excellent and a minibus that takes you all the way in, nearly, 5 minutes from the main drag.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Thanks to you all for your advice, think we will pack it and hope for the best!! We have booked the Caravan Club Edinburgh site so looking forward to that thanks Dustydog. Only 6 days to go yay!!

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Oh Definately take it...as the snow falls and the temperature drops to freezing you can huddle round it in the awning....Bl***dy british summers!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts