Is my car ok for towing this?

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
I own a 2003 E46 BMW 320diesel Touring and have just bought a Bailey Pageant Provence. My dealer said they will match perfect but when I asked same question on the BMWland forum I use loads. Some people say that this is too heavy for my car. I am a little worried now as I collect the new caravan in a few weeks.

Can anyone put my mind at rest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
3 Series 2003

Compact In production Kerb Weight KG 85% Weight KG Max Ball Weight KG Max Towing Weight KG

320 Td/SE 2003 1470 1250 75 1600

320 Td/SE Auto 2003 1505 1279 75 1600

thats if this is your car

mtplm of van 1420

although its not the best of matches fully laden,and pretty close to 100%(1505=94% match 1470=96% match) it is legal.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I've got the same caravan and I tow with an E-Class estate - I'd have thought that the BMW would be too small. I've also got a 3 series and I wouldn't tow the van with that - it just feels too light.

I've never had any problems towing with the merc - the combination of the weight of the car and he fat rear tyres gives me good stability and a confident set-up. I'd be interested to see how you get on with your BM and how it feels at 60 on the motorway.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
ooh its interesting to hear what people have to say about this, as though some naivety and trusting advice from others we're in a similar situation.

We have an 04 320d tourer and an new ace jubilee aristocrat on order.

Car Kerb weight 1580kg, van MTPLM 1460kg which would give a 92% match.

I struggle to see how we'd would put more than 150kg (no awning & just the two of us) of kit in the van, which would take the weight of the van to 1400kg, giving an 88% match.

MAM - are you concern just with the weight ratio not being within the 85% guideline or dont you think the 320d (150bhp) would have the power to pull the van ?

Knowing what I know now, I think I probable need to consider chaning the car, but realistically that wont happen until next January....so in the meantime we're looking at seasonal pitches and I'm attending a CC club towing course this week and other than that it'll be a case of suck it and see.

Cheers

Gavin

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gavin, it's not the power that I would question, it's the weight ratio - and not even the 85% rule.

My 3 series feels light and agile and my Merc feels solid and steady. It's no more than the feeling really but wehn I drive the Merc it feels planted to the road and unmoveable (except in the right direction using the right pedal). I get the sense when towing that the Merc is not going to be influenced to much by the forces on the caravan. The BM just feels a hell of a lot lighter and the thought of having a heavy van on the back would concern me. I don't have a tow bar on the BM so I can't try out this theory.

One point - my 3 series is the coupe - I'm not sure how much heavier (if at all) the estate version is.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It doesn't necessarily have to be just the weight ratio that determines whether a car feels solid or not when towing. There are lots of other factors which also play an important role: Rear overhang (the distance from rear axle to towball), suspension stiffness (hard or soft suspension), lateral compliance within the suspension and tyres (how much the car moves sideways when a force is applied), body stiffness, location of centre of gravity, etc., etc.

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
It doesn't necessarily have to be just the weight ratio that determines whether a car feels solid or not when towing. There are lots of other factors which also play an important role: Rear overhang (the distance from rear axle to towball), suspension stiffness (hard or soft suspension), lateral compliance within the suspension and tyres (how much the car moves sideways when a force is applied), body stiffness, location of centre of gravity, etc., etc.
hi tugster

i also have a 320d tourer and tow a 2003 bailey senator twin axle 1359 MIRO i work off the actual laden weight of the caravan, what i do is weigh the stuff i put in the van and what i put in the car with me the wife and two kids plus fishing gear etc the actual percentage works out around 85% my motor pulls this happily all day long but i do drive petrol tankers for a living as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts