Is our pastime in its last legs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After many years of caravanning I have unfortunatly sold the beast,reason,like everything else in this country we are being totally ripped off',dealers,various clubs,caravan sites,etc,have totally priced themselves out of the marker,now making this once great pastime a rich mans hobby. Like many out there I have had some great times but nowadays the price is outragous. A wise old man once said to me.." two great times in your caravan life,when you buy it and when you sell it "how true he was. The final nail in coffin is the price this godforsaken goverment now charge for fuel. I do believe our once great pastime is on its last legs.....I would however add I hope you all have a lovely time of it this summer. I,m off to Florida for 4 weeks and not an awning pole in sight....whats your views

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree with you alan regarding the fuel prices but I also agree with the other two, if you can afford 4 weeks in Florida you can afford caravanning.

Then maybe you can only afford it now with the money from your caravan sale :O)

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Living less than a mile from a large caravan dealership in the Northwest and seeing the amount of new vans dispatched daily,i would say that now way is it on its last legs.

Wat i would say is that it is becoming a younger family pastime which i think is great and yes fuel is more expensive and the cost of pitches goes up and never comes down but so does everything else that we do to enjoy and relax in are leisure time.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I know exactely where alans coming from allthough we have talked many times about getting rid of the van and large car many times my wife and myself have decided to keep it just for the odd weekends away as its conveniant.

The big problem is the cost of sites and fuel, ive just booked to go to devon for the first week in august to spend a week with family who are there for two weeks its has cost me

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dont forget to add in depreciation on the car and caravan insurance on both before you start on anything else.

My 4x4 lost 9 k over 3 yrs caravan lost 6k,

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
In many cases there is a lag in the prices af foreign holidays - the price was set some time ago, and the higher costs of aviation fuel, food, exchange rate pressures will not fully hit until next year.

I would expect the cost of overseas holidays to rise by as much as 30% next year, so don't rush to get rid of your van yet!

The other factor that will influence the number of people caravanning, is that although some who can no longer afford it will drop out, perhaps even more will join as a cheaper alternative to the fancy holidays they used to take.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
It's definitely the increase in diesel that's affecting us most. It's not stopped us going away 2 weekends a month and 4 weeks per year, but it hurts more and leaves less cash for other things.

We're not so concerned about depreciation as we have a young family and intend to keep the same van for at least 10 years.

" on it's last legs " suggests that caravanning is finished. I don't agree with that, but can fully understand why some people will want / have to stop, due to the increase in fuel prices.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I also see where Alan is comming from, a quick rudimentary calculation confirms that including a new caravan depreciating to nothing over 20 years my annual costs are well in excess of

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Broken down it is an expensive hobby!

I dont think it is on its last legs though,there will always be people who can afford it or just accept it.

What we need to see is a shift in caravan weights,they need to be lighter so we can tow with a normmal sized car so then its not so costly to run.

Caravan manufactures please take note.

At the moment im ok ,i will be worrying a bit when it reaches

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Clearly with increasing cost there will be those that either chose or have to fall by the wayside. This is likely to see a drop in the older vans on the road and a decline in those people of marginal means. Therefore there will be less players and for those of us struggling to find sites at short notice that could be welcome.

I don't share the view that it will impact much on caravan weights as these are linked to general opulence of the van. Those that can afford to buy are more likely to want something really nice not stripped down basic.

What I sense will happen is that the tow vehicle will come down in size and the 85% rule will be long gone. We already have the technology in devices such as Al-Ko's ATC in that a powerful but small car can cope with a weighty van safely. The towing fuel cost will inevitably be high but as this is a small proportion of the overall fuel cost, the change to a lighter car will be persuasive.

Having invested a lot in the van and the residual [cheap end] market disappearing then the increasing cost of ownership ought to result in greater utilisation of the caravan rather that its now often occasional use.

Its going to change; its going to filter out many poeple and older kit but I doubt its going to go away; just go appreciably more up market.

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
I don't agree that caravanning is on its last legs but if the price of fuel were to consistently rise faster than the cost of air travel and package holidays than it will influence a significant segment of fellow caravanners. For many of us it is the ability not to have to fit into the straightjacket of waiting at airports and fit in with hotel timings combined with the flexibility to have a number of short breaks as well as the main holidays that keeps us involved in this way of life. When I look at what it would cost to have the holidays and short breaks in hotel accommodation in this country I still find my caravanning a better deal even after depreciation.

Alun

May 14, 2008
Visit site
Caravanning is like most things - as expensive as you want it to be. Buy an old, lightweight caravan and you can tow it with an ordinary car. Don't go too far away from home and fuel doesn't cost too much, and if the weather is grim you can just come home. Eat in the caravan - same price as staying at home. Walking and exploring on foot is free. Using the camp site's hot water even saves you money! 3 days away in a stunning part of Wales recently cost us

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cheers folks and thanks for your replies....I really hope you all have a great summer....One thing that please O please watch the dealers they realy are there for one reason....to rip you off...yes and even the family owned firms

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
In 36 years of caravanning I've survived many personal financial cricises, mortgage increases, kids through uni (twice), unemployment (three times), and always managed to keep caravanning, so I hope to get through the present 'credit crunch' in retirement with no kids, no mortgage and no boss to fire me!

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Just read an interesting article in the Daily Express about caravanning - I enjoyed it because its one of the few independent articles that showed the hobby in a positive light. If the figures in there are correct about the number of new members the Caravan Club are attracting plus the number of new vans sold, then caravanning is a lono long way from being on its last legs.

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
At the very least caravanning is about to take a hit from increased fuel prices and the road taxes on the vehicles we need to tow today's monster caravans.

I have a Bailey Pageant Vendee 2004.I have calculated that with depreciation,insurance,annual service and Caravan Club monster site fees,plus running costs,extra fuel while towing etc,that over the last four years each holiday has cost us between

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
It has been fascinating reading all these comments but surely price is not the be all in valuing your time away.

Some of us will spend 2k on a van others 25K and the same goes for cars. Is it not the pleasure of the break that makes the price worthwhile.

I have paid

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And of course you don't have to have a brand new van. There are lots of us out there with old outfits which do the same job as expensive new ones.

On site this week next to a brand new outfit, probably

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts