Is our pastime in its last legs

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I've read all this with interest. I have a young family and we are doing it as much for the adventure as for the cost. Up until now we have stayed in cottages, static caravans, hotels all over the UK and abroad and never really had much change from

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Interesting item on the news this week.

Families were turning theirs backs on Foreign holiday and opting for caravan and camping holidays in th UK because of the credit crunch.

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes indeed - UK holidays are becoming much more popular.

Besides the 'credit crunch' another reason for the change is currency fluctuations. I'm just about to disappear to France for a few days and my hundred quid spending money has just got me 122 Euros. Only a year ago I was able to get 140 Euros for the same outlay. In effect I will experience a 15% increase in costs when I'm out there over last year! Inflation in the UK is 3-4% in real terms!

When you take that into account, the ease of staying in the UK and the fact that the UK has so much to offer, more to offer than a lot of other countries, it's no wonder a lot of people are deciding to stay in the UK... and buy a caravan!

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
On a similar note, We've already been advised of a hike in price of the French holiday we have booked later this summer, due to the exchange rates.

And only this morning the BBC news team were running an article on all of the ferry operators bringing in surcharges due to the increases in the cost of fuel.

The popular sites we used in Cumbria were already full to capacity at half term and are increasingly difficult to book, unless you are fortunate to be able to plan months or a year ahead.

So no, I don't see our pastime being on it's last legs, in fact I can only see it becoming more popular as the costs of foreign travel continue to rise.

Ken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts