Is this correct? Why?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
From another Forum. A brand new caravan.All thoughts welcome.IMG_5924.jpeg

Any idea what this thing that looks like a bung / plug in the floor under where the toilet is on our new Palermo? And why is there exposed ply wood? Surely, that's not healthy!

IMG_5924.jpeg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Caravan version of the Long Drop.

Looking at another forum back in 2017 there was a discussion on holes with bare untreated edges and other makes were also mentioned, so it’s not just a Bailey thing. Then the discussion went into should the owner coat the edges or not. Jury didn’t return a verdict.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just a guess. Perhaps the toilet chamber now has a drain to facilitate washing out.

My caravans did not have one, and when I washed the chamber out, it was a nuisance to dry.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Surely the edges can get contaminated with water spray from the tyres causing damp issues there?
I contacted Bailey about this very issue 4 years ago when I purchased a new caravan. Their reply was that over many years of production they had never had any issue with rot in the exposed edges of holes such as these so there was no need to apply anything. They also stated the floor wasn't painted with any waterproofing material, just a single coat of emulsion type paint as the circulation of air underneath ensured any moisture dried out. . They advised against any form of paint as there was then a risk of any water becoming trapped between it and the ply.
I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the exposed edges of these holes, or damp issues away from the edges, so it appears Bailey know what they are talking about.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I contacted Bailey about this very issue 4 years ago when I purchased a new caravan. Their reply was that over many years of production they had never had any issue with rot in the exposed edges of holes such as these so there was no need to apply anything. They also stated the floor wasn't painted with any waterproofing material, just a single coat of emulsion type paint as the circulation of air underneath ensured any moisture dried out. . They advised against any form of paint as there was then a risk of any water becoming trapped between it and the ply.
I have never heard of anyone having an issue with the exposed edges of these holes, or damp issues away from the edges, so it appears Bailey know what they are talking about.
I read on another forum some years back wrt a similar discussion. There were lots of suggestions on what could be done, or should not be done to seal the edges. There were views that paralleled what Bailey told you, that sealing could create a problem that doesn’t exist.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts