Is this expensive?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just say if i was paying £48 per night for a full service pitch i would prefer the week we have booked this weekend for a week in a cottage south facing garden a wood burner and central heating in Cumbria for £300
That sounds an absolute bargain but it is well out of peak season when I suspect it will cost over £1,000.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I posted on another forum recently about the peak-season price hikes. Fortunately we're in Leicestershire and our school holidays are out-of-sync with the rest by one week, as my wife works at a school we take advantage of this. We have booked a week in Cornwall (Pentewan) at the start of our holidays in July for just over £400, the week after (when everyone else breaks up) it's just over £800!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I posted on another forum recently about the peak-season price hikes. Fortunately we're in Leicestershire and our school holidays are out-of-sync with the rest by one week, as my wife works at a school we take advantage of this. We have booked a week in Cornwall (Pentewan) at the start of our holidays in July for just over £400, the week after (when everyone else breaks up) it's just over £800!!!!
It’s not often one hears the benefits of Leicestershire being extolled. Good choice Gary. 🦊

• Haha
Reactions: GaryB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Needed to find a 5 van site on a club website. I grew a beard waiting for the page to load. I was not sure if it was at my end or their end so for the first time in a very long time I went onto their forum.

Seems the delay is quite normal. However I also found out about changes that I was not aware of like dynamic bookings etc. Although it does not affect us as we very rarely use a main site, it would have been nice to get a letter informing members of this change. Seems that if we did use their main sites we would have been penalised as we tend to book a few weeks in advance and not a year in advance due to medical issues.

The club is definitely no longer a members club, but is now a proper business. My guess is that they are preparing to sell the whole club to some leisure company with directors making huge profits. As said just a guess and a light hearted & tongue in the cheek comment before anyone loses their knickers over my comment. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Needed to find a 5 van site on a club website. I grew a beard waiting for the page to load. I was not sure if it was at my end or their end so for the first time in a very long time I went onto their forum.

Seems the delay is quite normal. However I also found out about changes that I was not aware of like dynamic bookings etc. Although it does not affect us as we very rarely use a main site, it would have been nice to get a letter informing members of this change. Seems that if we did use their main sites we would have been penalised as we tend to book a few weeks in advance and not a year in advance due to medical issues.

The club is definitely no longer a members club, but is now a proper business. My guess is that they are preparing to sell the whole club to some leisure company with directors making huge profits. As said just a guess and a light hearted & tongue in the cheek comment before anyone loses their knickers over my comment. :D
I commented about 20 years ago that the Caravan Club was doing all the things you'd expect from a business about to float on the stock exchange - it didn't and the club have always denied it but your comment echoes mine.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve had my suspicions too. A number of “Affiliated “ sites have been purchased by CAMC recently which is probably a good thing.
CAMC full financial details are freely available to all on Beta Companies House.
The most important statement that may allay our fears says

Corporate Governance Code and s 172(1) Companies Act 2006 reporting Our purpose, strategy and consideration of the consequences of our decisions for the long term.
As a mutual organisation, the Club’s primary stakeholders are members , to whom it provides its services.

So if a stakeholder is similar to a shareholder CAMC couldn’t sell out without us members agreeing?? I think they will find it virtually impossible to sell out but what do you guys think?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I full agree with you for a change, I tend to go to UK campsites website as my first go to search. And then if it is either club Cl or C's site back to the sites booking.
Getting harder all the time. Private sites with fully serviced pitches, seem to be getting much better, and with folk getting caravan with full facilities, I think the two main clubs will start to loose out.
The Purists of going into the semi Wilde's with nothing around seem to be getting less favoured.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve had my suspicions too. A number of “Affiliated “ sites have been purchased by CAMC recently which is probably a good thing.
CAMC full financial details are freely available to all on Beta Companies House.
The most important statement that may allay our fears says

Corporate Governance Code and s 172(1) Companies Act 2006 reporting Our purpose, strategy and consideration of the consequences of our decisions for the long term.
As a mutual organisation, the Club’s primary stakeholders are members , to whom it provides its services.

So if a stakeholder is similar to a shareholder CAMC couldn’t sell out without us members agreeing?? I think they will find it virtually impossible to sell out but what do you guys think?

Unfortunately many put greed before anything else and will sell their soul for an extra buck?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

I already have a beard, but I can now use it to sweep the floor!
The slow access/delivery of the CMC web site is their problem. It's been like that ever since they rebuilt it last year. The C&CC site has never been super quick, but it is a sight quicker than the CMC!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I already have a beard, but I can now use it to sweep the floor!
The slow access/delivery of the CMC web site is their problem. It's been like that ever since they rebuilt it last year. The C&CC site has never been super quick, but it is a sight quicker than the CMC!
When looking for CLs I find it quickest to use UKCampsite to identify their name and then Google search to bring the details up directly.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We're off to Brighton CMHC site tomorrow for five nights on a serviced pitch. Total cost for 3 x adults for the five nights is £247. Yes, it's a lot dearer than it used to be but as a nightly rate it's cheaper than a hotel and at least I know what the quality of my "room" is going to be!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We're off to Brighton CMHC site tomorrow for five nights on a serviced pitch. Total cost for 3 x adults for the five nights is £247. Yes, it's a lot dearer than it used to be but as a nightly rate it's cheaper than a hotel and at least I know what the quality of my "room" is going to be!
It's only cheaper than a hotel because you've spent around £25,000 buying your caravan - and maybe more if you wouldn't otherwise use a big tow car!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gary have a nice enjoyable break :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We never regretted paying out for our caravan and its associated "money pit" costs; it was lifestyle choice which we enjoyed as did our kids and grandkids. . Although in parallel we did also take some. holidays overseas and in UK without the caravan. This year is being written off as far as pre booked holidays are concerned as we are moving BIL down to Wiltshire and having to sort out the sale of his home. But thus far it's anything but a smooth operation given that our National Health Service is anything but National when it comes to funding transfers, and continuity of healthcare.

But ever optimistic we are renewing our passports in the event we can grab a short notice break in France or Germany for September (ish)

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We never regretted paying out for our caravan and its associated "money pit" costs; it was lifestyle choice which we enjoyed as did our kids and grandkids. . Although in parallel we did also take some. holidays overseas and in UK without the caravan.

Similar to us. I'm not a great lover of overseas trips, but this year we're going to Tenerife for a week in October and five caravan trips planned to-date. We do have long weekends away staying in nice pubs/old hotels but as my wife works in a school we're restricted over when we can take our breaks.

For us using a caravan has never been viewed as being a financial saving, it's more of a hobby that allows us to relax, BUT the recent price hikes have become more noticeable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had a text from a fellow caravanner ref love 2 stay site, you can now book a superpitch with a ready erected free standing awning, Isabella no less, might work for motorhomers, but can't see the point for tourers, also their nightly prices in high season/Bank holidays made my eyes water

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just had a text from a fellow caravanner ref love 2 stay site, you can now book a superpitch with a ready erected free standing awning, Isabella no less, might work for motorhomers, but can't see the point for tourers, also their nightly prices in high season/Bank holidays made my eyes water
Yes I looked at their sites , well above what I am willing to pay for a pitch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts