Is this expensive?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just had a text from a fellow caravanner ref love 2 stay site, you can now book a superpitch with a ready erected free standing awning, Isabella no less, might work for motorhomers, but can't see the point for tourers, also their nightly prices in high season/Bank holidays made my eyes water

We were there in January at £29 per night ( with CAMC £1 a night discount. Very very nice site and worth that pitch fee. I wouldn’t go at a more expensive time of year either.
Saw the Isabella pitches. The awnings are huge and decked. There were motorhomers using them. Can see how it might work if you were a big group in a small motor home ( been there, done that 🤔😀). Not for us though.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have booked Chester Fairoaks and for two of us it is £45 a night. You could book Wirral for slightly less but for what we want to do we would spend the difference on fuel. It made me think twice but SWMBO likes it and is against any other site in the area.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did receive an e mail today from the CAMH to say that mid week discounts were back. It does make me wonder if bookings are down and this is an attempt to get more bookings. I hope they will apply this to existing ones but it did not say.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did receive an e mail today from the CAMH to say that mid week discounts were back. It does make me wonder if bookings are down and this is an attempt to get more bookings. I hope they will apply this to existing ones but it did not say.

We have never taken advantage of the mid week discounts as it only seemed to apply to sites we never use.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also got a email from Camping and Caravanning club about mid -week discounts but if it got cabin and lodges at these sites we have spare 4 nights we could book

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We also got a email from Camping and Caravanning club about mid -week discounts but if it got cabin and lodges at these sites we have spare 4 nights we could book
We looked at the cabins on a CAMC site and it was a lot cheaper to use an AirBnB or even rent a cottage in the same town. We were looking for a 3 night stay for relatives. We never took up the option.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We looked at the cabins on a CAMC site and it was a lot cheaper to use an AirBnB or even rent a cottage in the same town. We were looking for a 3 night stay for relatives. We never took up the option.
i have look at AirBnb , Sykes , and Cottages .com so far manage to book with them all but i do like getting through to the owner and get a good deal

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Frankly Jayne I get a better answer on costs sticking my wet finger in the air. Sadly I don’t find the Ripe link helpful, sorry.
You should have also read the Beginners Guide to Touring Caravans which is linked to the site fees article. You still wouldn't be any the wiser:eek:

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just to add a bit more to the original question. Over the years we've used CAMHC sites for around 75% of our trips, we were always in a position where we didn't have to worry too much about what the site cost, myself, wife and daughter enjoyed several nights stay at a reasonable price paid at the till. Each year we'd just book various places without giving the total price much consideration. That is all going to change, we're just back from the CAMHC Broadway site and paid £67 a night.......

Yes, our circumstances have changed as our daughter is now over 18, so full-whack price for her and yes, we were on a fully serviced pitch, so top-dollar on that one as well, so if I wanted to actually BLAME someone then it'd have to be that handsome chap that I see looking at me in the bathroom mirror, but going forward we'll be checking the total price BEFORE confirming it. There is a world of sites beyond the CAMHC network and we'll be checking them closer and also stop being lazy and making regular trips to the communal tap with the Aqua-roll!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to add a bit more to the original question. Over the years we've used CAMHC sites for around 75% of our trips, we were always in a position where we didn't have to worry too much about what the site cost, myself, wife and daughter enjoyed several nights stay at a reasonable price paid at the till. Each year we'd just book various places without giving the total price much consideration. That is all going to change, we're just back from the CAMHC Broadway site and paid £67 a night.......

Yes, our circumstances have changed as our daughter is now over 18, so full-whack price for her and yes, we were on a fully serviced pitch, so top-dollar on that one as well, so if I wanted to actually BLAME someone then it'd have to be that handsome chap that I see looking at me in the bathroom mirror, but going forward we'll be checking the total price BEFORE confirming it. There is a world of sites beyond the CAMHC network and we'll be checking them closer and also stop being lazy and making regular trips to the communal tap with the Aqua-roll!

In comparison we have booked a three bed park type home for fourteen nights in early September on a nice site on the Dordogne river near Sarlat. Costs just over £700 inc tourist tax, cleaning and bed linen. Three bedrooms sleeps six, and aircon. Even the en route Best Western is only £52 for two, cheaper than a Travel Lodge in Coventry where we have been staying over the last few weeks.

I read that in some areas UK holiday bookings are substantially down as folks switch abroad, or book shorter periods. Perhaps the inflated prices that some U.K. holiday accommodation providers have been charging might come down.

Reactions: GaryB
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Reading through and seeing all these prices quoted and thinking WOW!
Of the several trips we have this year the dearest price per night is £15!
2 of these stays are on full fat commercials with cafe, bar, pool etc.
Oh the joys of rallying and off-grid sites (y):geek:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

I guess that’s the price for an Easter weekend in the Cotswolds. I’m shocked😢rip off!
Did you get a free drink on arrival😉

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As the site is not named it is not clear what standards and facilities it has, so difficult to say more than it looks very cheap. This is an area where we have found sites are cheaper than many other areas though. The clubs do have a problem with sites as they have to employ all staff and work to very strict labour rules with a head office team to support them. This is less of a problem for family run sites and they can make substantial cost savings against club and larger commercial site operators so it is less of the big boys ripping you off but more the smaller ones have lower cost bases. The two clubs are run on a none profit basis, although they have to make one to stay afloat, and have no reason to rip you off. Possibly at times they are too cautious with their pricing and keep more back as a contingency fund than they need.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As the site is not named it is not clear what standards and facilities it has, so difficult to say more than it looks very cheap. This is an area where we have found sites are cheaper than many other areas though. The clubs do have a problem with sites as they have to employ all staff and work to very strict labour rules with a head office team to support them. This is less of a problem for family run sites and they can make substantial cost savings against club and larger commercial site operators so it is less of the big boys ripping you off but more the smaller ones have lower cost bases. The two clubs are run on a none profit basis, although they have to make one to stay afloat, and have no reason to rip you off. Possibly at times they are too cautious with their pricing and keep more back as a contingency fund than they need.
Ray Somehow I missed your post . Here’s the answer https://www.southmeadows.co.uk/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts