Is This The Way To.......

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Edinburgh - Scotland from London. We plan to follow the M1 then A1.

North of Newcastle, should we keep on the A1 or A68?

I would like to avoid areas for example on the A82 where it runs along the side of Loch Lomond and narrows, in particular on blind bends where it is necessary to squeeze past and hope your luck is holding.

Please don't be confused, the reason I know the conditions around Loch Lomond is because we have visited there previously.

Many Thanks to anyone who replies. Christine & Colin.

G

My suggestion is to follow the A697 at Morpeth towards Coldstream. It is quicker and usually?? quieter than the A1. There is also a nice coffee stop at Milfield, just beyond Wooler. The A1 also has sections of single lane road, yes, it is the prime route north, but..the Executive won't spend the money, they think that Tartan Week in New York for them all is more worthwhile. However, do take care on the Scottish side of the border as speed cameras are prevalent, although we are advised?? that only 20% actually have film, but don't take the risk. You will hit Edinburgh at the Sherriffhall Roundabout and can join the City Bypass towards the roads to the West. The M8 will take you to Glasgow or if you are going to the Trossachs then the M9 will take you up to Stirling.

G

PS

Just looked out of the window and it is .....snowing. OK, we have had hailstones already today and rain and wind so why not the snow. Weekend supposed to be reasonable but very cold (7 degrees) but hopefully it is forecast to warm up Monday. We are heading the other way on that day to try and get a little warmth. Anyway, have a good time wherever you end up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I take it you intend visiting Edinburgh if taking this route, if not, I would leave the A1 at scotch corner and cross the A66 and north on M6 - M74.We are only 20 miles west of Edinburgh but avoid the A1 like the plague and always travel down and across the 66.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, I would follow the route Scotch Lad suggested and turn onto the A697 just passed Morpeth up through Coldstream. From where I am in North Yorkshire this is the quickest route up to Scotland. Only problem you are likely to find is the Western bypass passed the Angel of the North if you hit it at the morning or evening rush hour. You could use the A66/M6 but for Edinbugh it is a longer route and depending on what time of year you are travelling the A66 across to Cumbria can get very busy. Also quicker to come off onto the M18 from the M1 to join the A1, especially now the new three lane strech of the A1 is open north of Ferrybridge services.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If your journey is London to Edinburgh you won't go anywhere near Loch Lomond or the A82 unless you're totally lost. That's on the West Coast route from Glasgow to Fort William.

Use M1 to Sheffield, M18 to Doncaster, A1(M)/A1 to Edinburgh. The A68 and A687 alternatives are more scenic but slower.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Colin,Follow Scotch Lads route everytime. I have a static near Edinburgh and travel up from south via A68 Coldstream.

I would advise that you stay well clear of the coastal route A1. Too many accidents,cross winds and heavy goods vehicles for my liking.

You will more than likely see other caravans en-route and caravan sites, which is usually a good indicator!

Enjoy,

Pop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin,Follow Scotch Lads route everytime. I have a static near Edinburgh and travel up from south via A68 Coldstream.

I would advise that you stay well clear of the coastal route A1. Too many accidents,cross winds and heavy goods vehicles for my liking.

You will more than likely see other caravans en-route and caravan sites, which is usually a good indicator!

Enjoy,

Pop.
with the new interchang you do not now need to cross over at the M18,just keep going and the M1/A1 intersects.as far as using the a697,well thats debatable,yes nicer route,but road is much slower than A1.YES THERE ARE A LOT OF SPEED CAMERAS ESPECIALLY A697 ROUTE SO BEWARE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts