Isabella Magnum or Ventura Marlin

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all we are after a porch awning but are pritty much torn between the magnum or marlin

both same size, but there is a difference in material quality, the way the curtains hang, Price etc.

does anyone else either have one or have any recommendations to help us swing one way or the other.

Plus any idea on best place to buy or suggestions as to were to find second hand ones.

Cheers

John

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
John,

I can't comment on Ventura awnings. Without doubt Isabella are the Rolls Royce of awnings and an Isabella will last for many many years.In my opinion their quality is way beyond that of any other make of awning.The only make of awning to come anywhere near to an Isabella was the Trio awnings made over 10 years ago by the old Trio company.

I always buy awnings from Glossop Caravans. You can trade in your present awning.You never know they may have a second hand Magnum.

I have an Isabella Minor porch awning, far superior to any other make of awning i have owned.

Hamer

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
Like Hamer, I agree Isabella awnings are far more superior. We have the Magnum which we've had a few years now and have no regrets paying that bit extra for the quality. We got ours from Barrons at Coppull(now called 'Discover' I think).

Just and idea . . . . colour code all the poles before using it (we used insulation tape)- makes life so much easier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

There is no doubt that Isabella are the best awning around. The Ventura range are made in the Isabella factory in Poland.The materials are a tad lighter weight and hence cost less.

We have a Isabella full awning and a Ventura winter porch awning and must say the Ventura is very good value for the money. If you are going to use the awning a lot then go for the Isabella also depends if you budget will run to it.

Regards

Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

There is no doubt that Isabella are the best awning around. The Ventura range are made in the Isabella factory in Poland.The materials are a tad lighter weight and hence cost less.

We have a Isabella full awning and a Ventura winter porch awning and must say the Ventura is very good value for the money. If you are going to use the awning a lot then go for the Isabella also depends if you budget will run to it.

Regards

Nidge
Sorry John should have read "If your budget will run to it"

Oh for a edit button!!!!!

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Can't disagree with what's been said John.

We had an Isabella part awning on our previous van which was both absolute top dollar quality and consequently very much top dollar price too.

It didn't fit our new van and so we took a big hit on the second hand market - which hopefully you won't as a porch awning should fit just about any van. Which is thus a good place to look as prices are a fraction of new ones, often for near perfect examples.

A big Isabella awning is also Devilish heavy to lift and slide into the channel without help.

Our new Ventura full awning is undoubtedly less robust by comparison although it seems perfectly good enough to last many years so I would imagine their porch offering would be the same.

At less than half the Isabella price I am well satisfied and would almost certainly choose that again over the Isabella if I was in the market today. In Denmark they leave their Isabellas up all year round which is much less common here and the weather is generally less severe here too. A huge cost hike may thus be justified. But for perhaps a couple of months total use per year and most probably in summer, it's highly debatable I'd say.

But why a porch awning anyway? Smaller to carry round yes, but the difference in erecting/dismantling a square framed Isabella ain't going to be so different from the full Monty with all its advantages. And getting the sides to fit really snug and stay there in heavy weather is not quick and easy even with all the sealing poles and associated tackle. Never ever as good as a channel.

Whatever you do only get a Fiamma Caravanstore for use as a quick put up sunshade. Their info pack says it isn't suitable for wind and rain with the sides in - and boy are they right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have owned an Isabella Minor for about 4 years, and it is as good now as when bought. We are now looking for a buyer for it.

However, we have now purchased a Magnum as we will benefit from the extra room, which is more than enough for a couple such as us.

I personally prefer a Porch awning, as you can transfer it to pretty much any Caravan when you come to change. You may not be able to do that with a full awning. But like everything else, its each to his/her own as they say.

I would have no hesitation in recommending an Isabella to anyone. You pay peanuts and you will get the monkey!

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we bought an Isabella full awning to use as a combi awning and are really pleased wish we'd have done it before and not bought Dorema full and part awnings.Ventura are very nice but we are pleased we spent the extra.Have just made extra elastic ties to hold curtains as we found the poppers are standard 'dressmaker' sizes so just tied thin elastic on and pop them onto the tieback tags

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a Dorema Madison and only tend to use it for times when we are away for a week or more, relying on alight weight porch awning. We have been thinking of a full porch awning and saw a Magnum when we were in the FoD last week. It was impressive and only took about 20-25 minutes for the chap to put up. As has been said before another advantage of a porch awning is there is no need to buy again every time you change van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts