Isabella Magnum

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Currently have Apache porche awning which is OK but does leak a bit.

Decided we needed a full awning for the longer holidays and had decided on the Isabella Opus 250. But yesterday saw the Magnum which is quite big as porch awning go. And it will be transferable when we change the van. And it is considerably less money.

My query is would a Magnum with an annexe be as good as a full awning when you take into account weight, cost, ease of assembly. We are family of 4 and have a main 2 week break with several long weekends and a couple of 6 night breaks a year.

I would rather invest in one solution that we can use for every trip so we don't have weekend awning, week awning, 2 week awning etc.

Thanks for any help - going away on Sunday for a week so want to get sorted by then as well!!!!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"My query is would a Magnum with an annexe be as good as a full awning when you take into account weight, cost, ease of assembly. We are family of 4 and have a main 2 week break with several long weekends and a couple of 6 night breaks a year."

We have the Magnum with the annex ;

As you said it's a solution that is transferable from van to van; in that respect it is likely to be cost effective if when changing vans you need a different awning size.

To answer your questions it depends on the size van and thus the size bulk and weight of the full size awning.

I doubt as an original purchase its cheaper unless the van is very big.

Weight wise its likely to be heavier because the annex only comes in a steel frame [or did when we got ours in 2002]

Ease of assembly ; there would be I suggest of the order of 175% of the effort in putting up the Magnum plus annex and about 80% the Magnum alone relative to the full awning.

However you have the flexibility; you only use the annex when you need the annex, unlike a full awning; the lot or nothing. Similarly you cope with the weight and extra wet canvas issues only when you need to.

Our situation is that we normally use the Magnum but take the annex when we have staying guest or the grandchildren and as a solution it works out fine for us.

We also have a full awning but that is used for the annual moths trip to the continent and nothing else.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"My query is would a Magnum with an annexe be as good as a full awning when you take into account weight, cost, ease of assembly. We are family of 4 and have a main 2 week break with several long weekends and a couple of 6 night breaks a year."

We have the Magnum with the annex ;

As you said it's a solution that is transferable from van to van; in that respect it is likely to be cost effective if when changing vans you need a different awning size.

To answer your questions it depends on the size van and thus the size bulk and weight of the full size awning.

I doubt as an original purchase its cheaper unless the van is very big.

Weight wise its likely to be heavier because the annex only comes in a steel frame [or did when we got ours in 2002]

Ease of assembly ; there would be I suggest of the order of 175% of the effort in putting up the Magnum plus annex and about 80% the Magnum alone relative to the full awning.

However you have the flexibility; you only use the annex when you need the annex, unlike a full awning; the lot or nothing. Similarly you cope with the weight and extra wet canvas issues only when you need to.

Our situation is that we normally use the Magnum but take the annex when we have staying guest or the grandchildren and as a solution it works out fine for us.

We also have a full awning but that is used for the annual moths trip to the continent and nothing else.
Obviously no "moths" involved we hope; should have typed "months"

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. I have spent the day today ringing around and was offered a 2009 Opus for not much more than the Magnum with annexe and inner tent so opted for the full awning.

I was going to sell the Apache if we had gone for the Magnum but will now keep it and I now have 2 awnings!!!! I think most caravanners do though.

I pick up the awning on Saturday and then it gets its first outing on Sunday so if anybody is in the Cheddar Gorge area and you see lots of head scratching and I daresay shouting please do lend a hand lol!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. I have spent the day today ringing around and was offered a 2009 Opus for not much more than the Magnum with annexe and inner tent so opted for the full awning.

I was going to sell the Apache if we had gone for the Magnum but will now keep it and I now have 2 awnings!!!! I think most caravanners do though.

I pick up the awning on Saturday and then it gets its first outing on Sunday so if anybody is in the Cheddar Gorge area and you see lots of head scratching and I daresay shouting please do lend a hand lol!
Would you mind sharing which outlet you got the great deal from. I too am looking for a new isabella but keep being told prices are going up and not down

cheers

Allan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts