Isle de Re - park on the island or mainland?

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
We are hoping to visit the Isle de Re area of France in June. We are taking our bikes and are active retirees.After reading about the Isle de Re I'm wondering whether there is enough to do on the island for a week or whether we should stay on the mainland & only visit the island for a day or two, cycling over, as I did read that the bridge crossing is expensive. Whether we stay on the island or the coast, any site recommendations would be appreciated.
After Isle de Re we are hoping to cycle in the Venice Verte area, (read that the Couloir area was good for bikes )so again, any site reccomendations please?
Thank you

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest the Municipal site at Marans....Le Bois Dinot......handy for both areas you want to visit without moving site.
This is assuming you can transport your bikes on your car.

I would follow the advice given in these reviews which I agree with.........(saves me a lot of writing)
I have done what you intend and would not stay on the island due to the bridge tolls.
I have cycled across the bridge.....it is quite a climb especially if there is a head wind but a great descent once over the top.
Free parking available at Le Belvedère just before the Bridge and toll booths.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I have visited the Ile de Re many times over the past 25 years - usually for periods of 4 - 6 weeks at a time. I offer my thoughts.
The bridge toll is not as high as many people quote. Firstly, like the Severn bridge it is only payable one way - going on to the island. During the peak holiday season this is just under 20 euros for car and caravan. During the early season - which includes Juneit has in recent years been half that price. It was always said that once the tolls had paid for the bridge it would become free but many are concerned by what happened to Ile d'Oleron when this bridge became free. Therefore the tolls have remained and some of the income generated invested in the tremendous cycle track network. The booths are also, on occasions, used to turn back toursits who are not booked when the island is full to capacity, and also to lock the island down when there is an escape from the prison on the island - we have experienced this twice!
There is only one way to see the island - by bike. It is almost completely flat and cycling is an absolute pleasure. Nature lovers will enjoy the birds and flowers and the markets are all very interesting. My advice - stay near the middle of the island - use ACSI for the best deals, forget the car for the week and cycle. Is there enough to do? Since we have been retired we easily fill 6 weeks - we will be back again this year.
Whenever we meet people who ask what the island is like we say you will love it or hate it. Embrace the life style, expect no night life except cafes and restaurants, enjoy the wonderful artist's light, and see how many celebs you can spot. The island is also the destination for many Parisians. Our favourite coastal area of France. Enjoy but avoid August!!!!!

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks everyone for the replies. Stephen, thanks that you assure us that there is plenty to do on the island- we are only there for 1 week, intending to cycle the whole time, so think we'll stay on the island.

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Just to but in! Can I ask if you can hire cycles on the island and would it be a good place to visit in Sept/Oct? We dont usually cycle as we have a dog but if its the best way to see the island we may have to strap her to the handle bars!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of the sites on the island close at the end of September.
Sites generally have a selection of bikes for hire. In addition bike hire is very easy throughout the island.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Just to echo all that has been said so far.

• Weather can be pretty good in Septemeber - but perhaps best to aim for early rather than late in the month.

• I would recommend that you stay on the island - you only pay the bridge toll once! And can cycle or bus into La Rochelle if you need to vist the big city

• Cycling is great way to explore and would keep you amused for best part of 2 weeks (in my view)

• Possible to go for days without using car!

• Re Dog: Is it small enough to travel in a basket? If not hire oneo ft he trailer that are sued for children and pop the doig in that. It's what the French do!

• As for camp site - take you pick but would recommend staying near rhe centre, that way all parts are within easy days cycling
Have been there for several years (Sept and July/Aug) and returning in June!
Phil

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We have been every year now for 10 years on our way back from Spain and stayed for varying lengths of time but never less than a week. You must cycle though as it is quite a small island and touring in the car would very quickly cover it, also the roads are narrow and parking is nort great. Dont worry about the toll as we have never felt the need to leave the island apart from a day trip to La Rochelle for which we used the local bus. The toll goes up about the 20th June , this year it was €8 for car and van rising to €16 for the high season. I have described our 2003 stay here but it has not change since.
David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts