Isuzu 3.0L Diesel problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having just checked the web address for Neil re his 2.8 Trooper query - I came across the Isuzu Trooper Owners Club Forum which has a lot of info on the horrendous problems being experienced by Trooper owners who have the 3.0L Diesel engine.

Best advice would seem to be walk away if one is offered to you however cheap!

A client of mine had one a year or so ago that blew up just a few months out of warranty - Isuzu were nothing short of awful to her and to this day refuse to admit there is a problem with this engine. She lost £'000's.

As I understand it is is only the 3.0L engine but from what I have just read repair costs are horrendous - making the car a "throw away item" if you have problems !

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Clive V,

Be fair m8 Isuzu did sort out the problems on later models and post 99 you should be OK. Same engine in the Rodeo and it's OK.

Mud does stick though - bit like the Lancia rust saga in the 80's and although it got sorted, Lancia pulled out of the UK market because everybody thought Lancias would rust apart in weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David - I made no judgement - just suggest people read what owners of this version of the trooper have said about the engine.

I find it hard to believe having driven a 2.8 - an engine I found to be far superior in all respects to the TD200 or 300 of Land Rover, that Isuzu could produce an engine with clearly so many design faults. I also had a ride in a 2.8 Isuzu engined LR 90 once commented on how well it went! Only then did the owner tell me what engine was in it.

I understand the Australian military had Land Rovers but stipulated that they had Isuzu engines - now that says a lot.

What I cannot understand is how badly they (Isuzu) treated my client and from what I read on the owners club forum she is sadly not alone.

Great vehicle the Trooper - just steer well clear of the 3.0L version would seem to be sensible advice from the owners club as unlike Land Rover's where another engine can be sourced or the original repaired quite cheaply, the cost of repairing this Isuzu engine adds up to more than the vehicle is worth.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi David - I made no judgement - just suggest people read what owners of this version of the trooper have said about the engine.

I find it hard to believe having driven a 2.8 - an engine I found to be far superior in all respects to the TD200 or 300 of Land Rover, that Isuzu could produce an engine with clearly so many design faults. I also had a ride in a 2.8 Isuzu engined LR 90 once commented on how well it went! Only then did the owner tell me what engine was in it.

I understand the Australian military had Land Rovers but stipulated that they had Isuzu engines - now that says a lot.

What I cannot understand is how badly they (Isuzu) treated my client and from what I read on the owners club forum she is sadly not alone.

Great vehicle the Trooper - just steer well clear of the 3.0L version would seem to be sensible advice from the owners club as unlike Land Rover's where another engine can be sourced or the original repaired quite cheaply, the cost of repairing this Isuzu engine adds up to more than the vehicle is worth.
Fair do's Clive - as I say mud sticks and if I'm honest I would't have a 3.0 at any price either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree the 2.8 was a brilliant engine, far better than anything LR had at the time and probably still better than even the TD5.

I have to say this is a surprise as I hadn't heard of the problems with the 3L. A pity as bad news travels fast, and LR ought to know.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The problem is only with early 3.0 diesels (round about '98/'99 model year). It appears that it was sorted out later. Also, the earlier 3.1 diesel seems to be OK, too. Having said that, I'm glad mine is a 3.5 petrol - an absolutely indestructible engine. Never heard of anyone who had problems with that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts