It’s a good job Swift don`t make airplanes!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
A very good point raised by Dusty, and one I hadn’t considered ...

The most probable reason for mine having the ducting running on the right hand side is because this area can also be accessed from an external locker, and so if the ducting was under the seat back, it really would be in the way ...

2qk8gft.jpg

Clive, Dave & Dusty ,since your ducting is also tucked away under the seat back, I’d be interested to hear whether or not you guys have the same external access locker. If not, then this is probably the reason for the ducting being routed where it is.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah haaa ! Now we are getting there !
I've no external locker access in that area under front seat from outside . I've a drop down door on the inside to save lifting the seats but like Lc , we keep the bedding in there .
So it depends on your layout ! Entrance door , kitchen then sink for us .

Nowt wrong with me carpets !!! ;) :p

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

The most probable reason for mine having the ducting running on the right hand side is because this area can also be accessed from an external locker, and so if the ducting was under the seat back, it really would be in the way ...

2qk8gft.jpg

Clive, Dave & Dusty ,since your ducting is also tucked away under the seat back, I’d be interested to hear whether or not you guys have the same external access locker. If not, then this is probably the reason for the ducting being routed where it is.

I have an external locker that accesses that area and the pipe work runs along the back wall.
It does not cause me any problems, more likely reason is being able to use less trunking there by cutting unit costs

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Away with mine at the minute , I was checking under my front seats & i have noticed that all my blown air pipes are situated at the back of the seats unlike the newer models .

Craig.........I have a Swift Challenger with a very similar layout to yours.
I am curious to know if you have two blown air outlets at floor level at the front of your Sprite.
I see from the picture above that you have one on the left......is there another on the right ?
My Challenger only has one on the right. :huh:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

2qk8gft.jpg

Icaru,

Good point. Mine does not have an external locker access, and the pipes are routed at the back of the undersea locker, which has access from above and from its internal pull down front "door". Swift not so silly after all.

PS Edit. Mine comes with snorkel for access to the "undersea" locker :whistle:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A Eureka moment Icaru :)
In the Wyoming there are two duct outlets beneath the front chest of drawers. The main pipe is fixed to the back wall of the storage area which is accessed by a front drawer and drop down flap. At the rear under the bed the pipes run along the side opposite to the exterior access door.
Maybe there is method in the madness.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bill , We have one opposite on other end off chair , one in the kids rear area and a one in the toilet/shower . Don't take long to heat up .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Bill , We have one opposite on other end off chair , one in the kids rear area and a one in the toilet/shower . Don't take long to heat up .

Strange ...

Mine has:

One at the front, on the left side, under the PIR, as your can see from my previous pic (same location as Craigs)
One underneath the wardrobe
One in the washroom
TWO in the rear, more or less directly opposite each other

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Also for us with the same kind of van , watch out for the charger as mine has come off the screw once or twice even when nipped up & has come loose and fell down on an angle .

P.s Lc ,
I also two fan outlets at the rear dinette opposite each other ; apologies :p

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
Just looking back at the YouTube video and he has not got outside locker access so still a bit puzzling ?!?
Model confusion on the shop floor :(

The dealer special versions of Sprites usually come with external locker access... it's an option on the regular Sprite. My Major 4 SB is broadly similar to the Major 4 EB on the video.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Another thing guys ,
If you look closely on my picture that I sent you earlier if you can see my cooker hob , if you see the glass splashback that we have as we come in our entrance door , the small screws as usual that are supplied by Swift / Sprite which are useless ; sometimes comes loose so keep a check on that . It just needs to be nipped up a but not too much in case you crack the glass :eek:hmy:

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Another thing guys ,
If you look closely on my picture that I sent you earlier if you can see my cooker hob , if you see the glass splashback that we have as we come in our entrance door , the small screws as usual that are supplied by Swift / Sprite which are useless ; sometimes comes loose so keep a check on that . It just needs to be nipped up a but not too much in case you crack the glass :eek:hmy:

Are you sure you don’t go off-roading with yours Craig ?

I mean, come on ... oven screws falling out, battery charger becoming loose, glass splash back screws loosening. Really ? :p

Oh yeah, I forgot, we’ve had most of those little quirks too ! - All part of the fun ! :evil:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......haven't been out in my new to me Challenger 586 Sport yet but have already removed the glass splashback.
Can't get on with it's proximity to the door :eek:hmy:
......only 3 blown air outlets in my van.
One at front. ..one in bathroom and one in rear area......yet to be tested :unsure:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bill ,
I tend to find that the front of our van gets warm really quick but the back end doesn't seem to get as warm but does eventually , but can't complain , crank it up and doesn't take long . We have just been away this weekend and had it on 15 degrees stat which was good enough and warm enough for through the night and woke up to about -1 down at Teesside yesterday morning ! But van a nice toastie 20 degrees inside !!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
.......haven't been out in my new to me Challenger 586 Sport yet but have already removed the glass splashback.
Can't get on with it's proximity to the door :eek:hmy:
......only 3 blown air outlets in my van.
One at front. ..one in bathroom and one in rear area......yet to be tested :unsure:

Our Sprite has a similar arrangement for the air outlets and we have had no issues with keeping warm on 240v even when the BFTE was hitting us last March in the Forest of Dean

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Craigyoung said:
Another thing guys ,

Are you sure you don’t go off-roading with yours Craig ?

I mean, come on ... oven screws falling out, battery charger becoming loose, glass splash back screws loosening. Really ? :p

Oh yeah, I forgot, we’ve had most of those little quirks too ! - All part of the fun ! :evil:

My caravan is at the dealers this week to fix some of Swift's finest [strike]quality issues[/strike] design features. Decided to have them fit some AL-KO shock absorbers (Or are they dampers?) due to the shaking it got round the Highlands. Wheel balancing is next...

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
'Hey up' mines a Sprite Major 4Fb dealer special, 2014, had 571 nights in it so far, and towed it for 21001 miles in that time. Only job had done is front window replaced under warranty, as got 'white patches' in it, no argument, no real problem. + routine services. Couldn't have asked for more. 3rd. Swift group van out of total 10 in 41 years as good as 'owt' we've had. Fitted shock absorbers myself when new and had wheels balanced. We can't grumble at Swift. - Ps away this w/e to add to totals.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Bill ,
I tend to find that the front of our van gets warm really quick but the back end doesn't seem to get as warm but does eventually , but can't complain , crank it up and doesn't take long . We have just been away this weekend and had it on 15 degrees stat which was good enough and warm enough for through the night and woke up to about -1 down at Teesside yesterday morning ! But van a nice toastie 20 degrees inside !!
Craig.
At the rear of the heater air pipe manifold is a crude lever that allows you to vary the volume of air from front to rear. Maybe it needs adjusting?
Also when starting up from cold you can also run the heater on gas as well as electric. Try it. The time take to warm up is brilliant.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Didn't know that , thanks DD , not back out now till January so will look then .

Craig, I think DD is wrong there isn't a manifold, director on the Combi heater. Others have noticed that the air pipe to the back goes under the caravan and have insulated that pipe with adhesive insulator wrap from B and Q.
On my Coachman I have to partially close the front vents to get more heat to the bathroom, and one of the vents blows nicley onto the toilet roll, :cheer:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
'Hey up' mines a Sprite Major 4Fb dealer special, 2014, had 571 nights in it so far, and towed it for 21001 miles in that time. Only job had done is front window replaced under warranty, as got 'white patches' in it, no argument, no real problem. + routine services. Couldn't have asked for more. 3rd. Swift group van out of total 10 in 41 years as good as 'owt' we've had. Fitted shock absorbers myself when new and had wheels balanced. We can't grumble at Swift. - Ps away this w/e to add to totals.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sprite... I've had it from new, so expected some 'Snagging'. Overall i'm very happy with it; it is a palace compared to our previous outfit. The problem is the amount of small issues which have cropped up after only c.2000 towing miles, which I am loathe to rectify myself (even though I could) as it is under warranty. So I have to take it back to the dealer. Not a massive issue, but it took up a Saturday morning prepping and towing the 18 miles or so to their site. (at least its not 300 miles!)

Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
Bill ,
Craig.
At the rear of the heater air pipe manifold is a crude lever that allows you to vary the volume of air from front to rear. Maybe it needs adjusting?
Also when starting up from cold you can also run the heater on gas as well as electric. Try it. The time take to warm up is brilliant.

Could this also be due to the pipes being routed 'outside'? There are 4 heat outlets in my van, the most rearward being in the washroom. The pipe for that runs about from where the 3rd or bedroom vent sits, under the offside of the van from the axle to just inside the washroom. The Bedroom vent will be blowing hot, but the bathroom will be cold.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hot air on to the toilet roll you soft s@#$ !!! :p :sick:

So there's a chance the pipe to the rear goes outside and under the van ; I will check it out next time .

thanks Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts