It’s a good job Swift don`t make airplanes!

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Craigyoung said:
Didn't know that , thanks DD , not back out now till January so will look then .

Craig, I think DD is wrong there isn't a manifold, director on the Combi heater. Others have noticed that the air pipe to the back goes under the caravan and have insulated that pipe with adhesive insulator wrap from B and Q.
On my Coachman I have to partially close the front vents to get more heat to the bathroom, and one of the vents blows nicley onto the toilet roll, :cheer:
Hutch,
I use the word manifold in its broadest sense. There is a point exiting the fan housing where there is a lever enabling the blown air to be directed through the two outlet pipes to varying degrees right through to totally closing off either. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/trumavent-fan-spare-parts
What are you looking at?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hutch,
I use the word manifold in its broadest sense. There is a point exiting the fan housing where there is a lever enabling the blown air to be directed through the two outlet pipes to varying degrees right through to totally closing off either. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/trumavent-fan-spare-parts
What are you looking at?[/quote]

I see the sort of item you mean we had one on our Truma heater, but with the combi, Its a single pipe coming across the front of the van spliting off to the individual vents, down to the back of the front seats then under the van to the back, hence the cold air to the back.
Bet your nice and warm at Welltrough.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch,
Clearly my system is a lot older. I am surprised you can not control the air flow with yours. A backward step maybe?
Great up here. Check out the Swettenham Arms. Dog friendly, good beer and food and everything against F.C. Back tomorrow :evil:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hot air on to the toilet roll you soft s@#$ !!! :p :sick:

So there's a chance the pipe to the rear goes outside and under the van ; I will check it out next time .

thanks Hutch.

A person on another forum has mentioned this thermal lagging for outside pipes,
Armacell

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Craigyoung said:

So there's a chance the pipe to the rear goes outside and under the van ; I will check it out next time .

thanks Hutch.

Armacell

Would it be suitable for external heating ducts? My Bailey had a length of heating duct that ran underneath from the area beneath a front nearside locker, under the door and back into the van just aft of the door. I used some foam backed aluminium foil as used behind radiators and held it closed with duct tape. Made a worthwhile difference.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Craigyoung said:

thanks Hutch.

Armacell

Would it be suitable for external heating ducts? My Bailey had a length of heating duct that ran underneath from the area beneath a front nearside locker, under the door and back into the van just aft of the door. I used some foam backed aluminium foil as used behind radiators and held it closed with duct tape. Made a worthwhile difference.

It says it's good for upto 100c and sizes upto 93 mm diameter.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........on Swift caravans any external blown air heating pipes that run under the caravan are already insulated.
What you can see if you look under the caravan is the outer insulated casing.......the duct is running inside this.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
Bill ,
I tend to find that the front of our van gets warm really quick but the back end doesn't seem to get as warm but does eventually , but can't complain , crank it up and doesn't take long . We have just been away this weekend and had it on 15 degrees stat which was good enough and warm enough for through the night and woke up to about -1 down at Teesside yesterday morning ! But van a nice toastie 20 degrees inside !!
Craig.
At the rear of the heater air pipe manifold is a crude lever that allows you to vary the volume of air from front to rear. Maybe it needs adjusting?
Also when starting up from cold you can also run the heater on gas as well as electric. Try it. The time take to warm up is brilliant.

EH52ARH said:
Craigyoung said:
Didn't know that , thanks DD , not back out now till January so will look then .

Craig, I think DD is wrong there isn't a manifold, director on the Combi heater. Others have noticed that the air pipe to the back goes under the caravan and have insulated that pipe with adhesive insulator wrap from B and Q.
On my Coachman I have to partially close the front vents to get more heat to the bathroom, and one of the vents blows nicley onto the toilet roll, :cheer:

Can't look at the actual installation to check if there are adjustable louvers on the boiler, but I know the outlets are fixed, so I checked the Truma website and installation guide. The following information seems to have been ignored by caravan manufacturers as my Combi Boiler is about as far forward as you can get.

In order to heat the vehicle evenly throughout, the heater must be installed in a location in the vehicle that is as central as possible in a wardrobe, stowage compartment or the like, and at an adequate height so that the air distribution ducts can be routed with almost equal lengths...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Dustydog said:
Craigyoung said:
Bill ,
I tend to find that the front of our van gets warm really quick but the back end doesn't seem to get as warm but does eventually , but can't complain , crank it up and doesn't take long . We have just been away this weekend and had it on 15 degrees stat which was good enough and warm enough for through the night and woke up to about -1 down at Teesside yesterday morning ! But van a nice toastie 20 degrees inside !!
Craig.
At the rear of the heater air pipe manifold is a crude lever that allows you to vary the volume of air from front to rear. Maybe it needs adjusting?
Also when starting up from cold you can also run the heater on gas as well as electric. Try it. The time take to warm up is brilliant.

EH52ARH said:
Craigyoung said:

Can't look at the actual installation to check if there are adjustable louvers on the boiler, but I know the outlets are fixed, so I checked the Truma website and installation guide. The following information seems to have been ignored by caravan manufacturers as my Combi Boiler is about as far forward as you can get.

In order to heat the vehicle evenly throughout, the heater must be installed in a location in the vehicle that is as central as possible in a wardrobe, stowage compartment or the like, and at an adequate height so that the air distribution ducts can be routed with almost equal lengths...

Not at all surprised at what comes out from a cottage industry. But sorry I retract that. Most cottage industries do a good job. :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From memory the standard Truma ducting is designated UR ducting. The outer cover supplied by Truma is DR ducting and is primarily a black waterproof over duct. Apart form the fact its a second skin it does not provide much additional insulation. Proper enclosure with insulation does make a real difference. Some caravan manufacturers did at one time build a box section to protect and insulate the under floor duct.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes Prof , a good point. We forget what is out there!
The UR ducting beige ‘cardboard type’ exterior , silver foil type internal. Not sure about DR but you can buy this for exterior use, which should be an oem fit for external use.
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/spare-parts-for-truma-blown-air-heating/insulating-ducting-for-blown-air-system-2m-length
Is the one you had in mind?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Yes Prof , a good point. We forget what is out there!
The UR ducting beige ‘cardboard type’ exterior , silver foil type internal. Not sure about DR but you can buy this for exterior use, which should be an oem fit for external use.
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/spare-parts-for-truma-blown-air-heating/insulating-ducting-for-blown-air-system-2m-length
Is the one you had in mind?

At that price I think a DIY job would be preferable and probably give greater thermal insulation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,

That looks very similar, and despite its description in that posting, its is barely any better than the UR ducting it covers except it is water proof.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,

That looks very similar, and despite its description in that posting, its is barely any better than the UR ducting it covers except it is water proof.
Thanks Prof.
Looks like a lot of us will be doing some diy insulating this winter B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,

Thanks Prof.

Not in my Coachman all the ducting is inside, :) with warm Toilet paper, :lol:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,

Thanks Prof.

Not in my Coachman all the ducting is inside, :) with warm Toilet paper, :lol:

Now that must be a relief to you. Perhaps that’s where Coachman have hidden your tally plate :)

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
: this I shall so sad , we bought a swift after having even worse than this on a bailey . The swift is everything you say but we are having to put up with it because we just cannot change again . All the things you have pointed out are really bad but the only thing that is good is that we don’t have water leaking everywhere .
Yet the snow last year did get in through the roof vent around bathroom ceiling window .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
nor said:
: this I shall so sad , we bought a swift after having even worse than this on a bailey . The swift is everything you say but we are having to put up with it because we just cannot change again . All the things you have pointed out are really bad but the only thing that is good is that we don’t have water leaking everywhere .
Yet the snow last year did get in through the roof vent around bathroom ceiling window .
I see you are a new Forumite.
May I suggest you look to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if you are not happy B)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Bill ,

..........been checking over my 6 year old new to me Swift Challenger as I do my own servicing.
The caravan has been well looked after by the previous owner and has yearly service stamps covering it's six years.
I don't know what dealers do during a service as I have never had a caravan serviced at a dealer :eek:hmy:

I checked the Ultraheat blower fan for build up of dust and debris and it was caked making it very inefficient.
Obviously never ever been cleaned ........now works much better ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts