Its official, there ours!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never had any interest in looking at a bunch of rocks that have no meaning whatsoever. At least the Zimbabwe Ruins is more interesting!
It’s not just the henge that I find interesting but the whole surrounding area with its ancient earthworks and Durrington Walls; where in fact there aren’t any walls.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What a learning curve. It’s “multi national😇

Some lithologies are linked with Neolithic quarrying sites in the Mynydd Preseli area of west Wales7,8. An unnamed Lower Palaeozoic sandstone, associated with the west Wales area on the basis of acritarch fossils9, is present only as widely disseminated debitage at Stonehenge and possibly as buried stumps (Stones 40g and 42c).

Fig. 1: The layout of Stonehenge and the appearance of the Altar Stone.
figure 1

Reactions: Beachball and Tobes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually - many are Welsh...
The big ones came from the Fyfield area near Avebury. The smaller ones came from south wales. If you park up on the Ridgeway from A4 east of Avebury you can go into the ancient field system and if you know where to look there is a Sarsen stone with grooves in it where axe heads were formed and honed. An astonishingly interesting area and one not visited by many grockles from Avebury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wonder what the cost was for finding out where the stones came from as in a month's time no will will care where they come from as long as they can gawk at some upright stones. Castles with history are far more interesting. Maybe the stones came from Easter Island and are related? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what the cost was for finding out where the stones came from as in a month's time no will will care where they come from as long as they can gawk at some upright stones. Castles with history are far more interesting. Maybe the stones came from Easter Island and are related? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Apart from the Altar stone which has recently been determined as from Scotland, the source of the others has been known for many years. Like most research there are costs, but to a geologist it was probably not that onerous a task. I’m fascinated by the history of how they were potentially transported, plus the recent discoveries relating to the size of population living nearby to service the Henge and other artefacts. An ancient version of HPC.

Reactions: Hutch and Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Apart from the Altar stone which has recently been determined as from Scotland, the source of the others has been known for many years. Like most research there are costs, but to a geologist it was probably not that onerous a task. I’m fascinated by the history of how they were potentially transported, plus the recent discoveries relating to the size of population living nearby to service the Henge and other artefacts. An ancient version of HPC.
There was an excellent BBC documentary on the source of the Bluestones a few years ago. I just found the link on i-Player

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was an excellent BBC documentary on the source of the Bluestones a few years ago. I just found the link on i-Player
Thank you I’ve saved that to watch. Prof Alice Roberts……….. my Profs were never that attractive. Only had one female prof at Loughborough and she lectured on Design. But we disagreed when I told her I thought her car was ugly. An NSU Prinz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts