Its renewal time again

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paws.

If you had read my earlier posts in the thread you will have seen I was pointing out that there should be no difference in the quality and resolution of claims between old or new customers.

It was Ray's last paragraph that I was commenting on, and if I got wind of any hint that any claim I made was handled less favourably than a longer standing customer, I would not take it lying down.

So I don't quite see the point you were trying to make?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nothing is perfect.
No two Insurers are the same in policy cover or claims philosophy.
Brokers do influence some results. Money does count and no Insurer will want to lose a multi million portfolio over one caravan claim.
An Insurer can pay doubtful claims if they so wish without setting a precedent.
Hence there are ex gratia, without prejudice to policy liability payments and even contra preferentum actions where some ambiguity has arisen in the policy wording.
In 2007 the CEO of a major UK insurer was sentenced to 7 years imprisonment for fraud. He had instilled amongst many things a very harsh attitude to claims handling.It was rumoured claims staff received bonuses for rejecting claims.

I believe the two clubs insurance schemes have the lowest number of complaints and indeed the most praises than other caravan insurers.
Thus imo for peace of mind for the average caravanner who may not be be as knowledgeable as Ray or the Prof go for an insurer who undoubtedly has a better approach to claims than others.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Paws.

If you had read my earlier posts in the thread you will have seen I was pointing out that there should be no difference in the quality and resolution of claims between old or new customers.

It was Ray's last paragraph that I was commenting on, and if I got wind of any hint that any claim I made was handled less favourably than a longer standing customer, I would not take it lying down.

So I don't quite see the point you were trying to make?

Hi PJL
As you would expect I always make a point of reading, most carefully, all the posts in a topic before sending in a response... ;)

I'll try to explain, by way of a simple example, the point to which I was alluding with reference to "marginal claims" as mentioned by Raywood , and hope you will see the reason why in some circumstances, a long established, and valued client might on occasion receive more money from his policy than someone who was a brand new policyholder......

It's important to remember that a claim often has a number of aspects, but for simplicity let's just look for the moment at policy liability, quantum and commercial practice.

You are quite right, in the final analysis if the insurer and the policyholder cannot agree upon policy liability, then it will be up to the courts to decide if the loss was caused by an insured peril and if the other factors that make up a valid claim were present and correct. They will not normally take into account that the claim is being made by a policyholder of long standing or a brand new one, as this is usually not relevant to the action. Neither would it normally be taken into consideration by the court when quantum is in dispute.

Commercial practice is however a slightly different matter. (relatively few cases progress to involving the courts, more often negotiation between the parties results in a satisfactory settlement....although the participants may have a somewhat subjective view!)

Therefore, let us for a moment, consider a recent non caravan related claim that I became involved with.

1 A client had purchased an expensive laptop computer for nearly £1000 and 3 weeks later inadvertently spilt a full mug of hot, sweet, milky coffee over the computer, that was in use at the time, inundating the keyboard and other areas.

2 It was accepted that the laptop computer was beyond economic repair as a consequence of the accident.

3 The client was aware of the fact and accepted that he had no policy of insurance or arrangements in force that would provide cover for such an event. ( although of course such arrangements are available)

4 He was advised that an approach be made to his insurers with a request for "sympathetic consideration" of a claim under his general house contents insurance, and pointing out that he had been a policyholder for some 30 years with numerous personal and business insurance policies with them, and apart from a small claim for minor property damage following a burst pipe about 25 years ago, had been claim free.

To cut to the chase, after an initial refusal, but following a subsequent request for the matter to be submitted to underwriters for consideration, a favourable response was received. They pointed out that there was no liability for them to pay, as there was no effective cover in force, but purely on an ex gratia basis, as a gesture of good will, and recognising his long standing as a valued policyholder with an excellent claims history, they were prepared to offer him, without prejudice £750 as a contribution to his loss.

Needless to say he accepted their offer with alacrity and received a cheque 4 or 5 days or so later.

It is doubtful if a brand new policyholder for say a household contents only insurance, with no track record or previous contact with the insurer, in the absence of policy liability, would have received a similar offer. ( although I suppose it's just possible!)...

A policyholder should always receive appropriate treatment with the proper payments made where there is liability, however commercial practice, whilst differing from insurer to insurer in the finer points of policy drafting, extent of cover and extensions available, interpretation, terms, conditions and procedures and a few other things also play an important part, in selecting an insurer, either for a new policy or a renewal.

The premiums to be charged for the covers is an important factor but by no means is it the sole reason for consideration when making a decision.

I hope that this simple example will go some way to explain how someone might be treated to a lower or zero payment compared with the payment that might on occasions be offered in similar circumstances to a valued and long standing policyholder.
Regards
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Paws for taking the time and trouble to clarify your point.

Just for something to consider, Many people/companies believe they indemnify themselves from being connected with an incident if they use phrases such as:-

"there was no liability for them to pay"
"purely on an ex gratia basis"
"gesture of good will"
"without prejudice"

These are as ineffective as the often seen notice of "cars parked at owners risk" in secured car parks.

These are basically used to bamboozel the public, and through ignorance they too often believe them. However if such a claim were challenged, the facts behind the incident would be reviewed and liability determined regardless of any of the above phrases being used.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
An ex gratia payment is not a term to bamboozle the public.
Very simply the claim fails because there is no policy liability attaching to the Insurer. Both Insured and Insurer accept this position. Thereafter the Insurer may if they so wish make a payment , ex gratia, outside of all the terms and conditions of the original policy. In other words there is no policy which triggers the payment.
Such payment may indeed have been influenced by Broker pressure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Knight-1. I assume that you have the very basic cover which is not wide enough for us as only for caravans valued at under £10,000. The exclusions are certainly harsher than the club policies although how hard they apply them I do not do. The web site does not show a DEFACTO rating which is worrying.
What I found odd about the web site was I saw lots of praise for the service when taking out a policy and could find none regarding claims although I did not check every page.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Don't forget that technically no policy rolls over year after year, renewal is exactly what it states you are re- newing or making new again the policy. The fact the insure already has the relevant details from the previous year just simplifies it for you and them.

It's may be a bit less straight forward than that.

I have had continuous car insurance cover for the last 11 years, with LV. The reason I have kept this cover going, is because it allows modified vehicles F.O.C. (which is handy because one of my cars is a very heavily modified road legal track car).

As of about 7 years ago, LV won't even insure a modified car, let alone for free. However, I have been able to (by always renewing and always refusing to be quoted based on the new policies) retain the original under-writing, and have on numerous occasions had it confirmed (in writing) that the insurance not only of the modified car but also of the modifications themselves is still in place.

It seems reasonable to suspect that caravan insurance may work in the same way.

So it may not just a case of them having your details so it's convenient to renew- you may well find that the underlying underwriting details (which could include all sorts of requirements, exclusions, and/or features) vary year to year with the same insurer, and either sticking with a renewal on the old policy or being re-quoted under the new under-writing rules, may give you further options beyond just switching insurer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jules,

You may have been lucky with your particular policy and company.

From my own experience I have been fairly loyal to companies, but invariably when renewal comes around the company send out addendums and changes to the policy, which I have queried on a couple of occasions but have been unable to prevent hose changes being applied for the reasons I mentioned previously.

It does seem that loyalty is rarely catered for, which its so often a great temptation to switch because of a tempting starting offer. I Personally would prefer them to drop the pretence and just offer a slightly better deal for loyal customers.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Jules,

You may have been lucky with your particular policy and company.

From my own experience I have been fairly loyal to companies, but invariably when renewal comes around the company send out addendums and changes to the policy, which I have queried on a couple of occasions but have been unable to prevent hose changes being applied for the reasons I mentioned previously.

It does seem that loyalty is rarely catered for, which its so often a great temptation to switch because of a tempting starting offer. I Personally would prefer them to drop the pretence and just offer a slightly better deal for loyal customers.

To a point I have been lucky. They have obviously decided a few years ago that they want to price people off these old policies though and they have been slowly pushing the price up (vs. the cover on my other car consistently dropping). With my renewal at £780 (vs a meerkat quote of £200 for the same car unmodified) I've finally decided to leave the policy and get proper modified car cover.

The main point I was making was not that loyalty is rewarded, it was 1) that it is not true to say that a renewal is just a brand new policy just as a new customer would get, and 2) that before making decisions regarding the merits of cover from different providers, you should educate yourself about the features of the specific policy you have (and also work on the basis that new policies from providers who you have been referred to, may not have all the features detailed by the person making the referral).

TRENDING THREADS