Jaguar F Pace

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I am thinking of changing my tow car and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.
2017 F-Pace 2lt diesel auto
I tow a Coachman Pastiche which is just about at the 85% ratio wieght wise so am wondering what the power is like as don't want the 'tail wagging the dog' At present I tow with a Kia Sorento and honestly can't fault it's capabilities but it is 2.2lt and wonder if the Jag would be a bit underpowered?
Anybody use one? Opinions?
Thanks
Mike

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of changing my tow car and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.
I tow a Coachman Pastiche which is just about at the 85% ratio wieght wise so am wondering what the power is like as don't want the 'tail wagging the dog' At present I tow with a Kia Sorento and honestly can't fault it's capabilities but it is 2.2lt and wonder if the Jag would be a bit underpowered?
Thanks
Mike
Both 2.0 diesels are lower-powered (161/178 bhp) than your Sorento (197ish) - how much excess power does your Sorento have?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think your van is about 125 kg heavier than mine, but to keep things in perspective, mine (1500kg) is towed extremely well with a 135 bhp car. Yes, more would be nice, but I don’t struggle with this.

In 1990 I towed a 4 berth van through to the Baltic with a 60 bhp non turbo diesel, now that was flat out 90% of the time. 😁

Still you are wise to ask but bhp is not the only consideration.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks
Mike
Surely it’s more about torque and gear ratios than just power. Also is the Jaguar heavier or lighter than the Sorento? I don’t think the 0.2 litre difference in engine capacity is that important it’s overall delivery and other characteristics. I think I would prefer a Sorento mainly on its larger luggage capacity and room, and their reputation for reliability. Where did JLR come again on the recent survey?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought the F pace had the Ingenium engine fitted which is Jaguars own after parting company with Ford. Shame they did as the Ingenium had some mixed reports when it first came out around 2016-17.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The power difference between the two is relatively small so the performance of the Jag should only be a bit down. It is the weight that can make the tale wag the dog though and I think you will be safe there. The Jag gets good reports for its towing ability though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Avoid the diesel it's known for oil dilution.

Volvo 2.4 5 cylinders circa 2010-14 had that problem due to incomplete DPF regeneration leading to increased sump levels. They had “ technicians” dipsticks which were low down on the front of the engine so could not be used during any journeys.
Volvos solution was to reduce the quantity of engine oil and tweak the engine oil level detector to show full with a reduced oil quantity. Then if fuel diluted the oil the system would alarm when the level of the sump reached what was the old “ full” mark.
It never affected mine slthough I regularly checked using the “ technicians” dipstick.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Volvo 2.4 5 cylinders circa 2010-14 had that problem due to incomplete DPF regeneration leading to increased sump levels. They had “ technicians” dipsticks which were low down on the front of the engine so could not be used during any journeys.
Volvos solution was to reduce the quantity of engine oil and tweak the engine oil level detector to show full with a reduced oil quantity. Then if fuel diluted the oil the system would alarm when the level of the sump reached what was the old “ full” mark.
It never affected mine slthough I regularly checked using the “ technicians” dipstick.

I have not heard of the dilution problem on Volvo’s before, thought that was mainly a Mazda issue. Mine is the 5 cylinder. With no dip stick. I have just trusted in Volvo and God that all is good. Never ever even sensed it going into regeneration mode, and I do a lot of small journeys.

So what is the ‘technicians dipstick’?

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have not heard of the dilution problem on Volvo’s before, thought that was mainly a Mazda issue. Mine is the 5 cylinder. With no dip stick. I have just trusted in Volvo and God that all is good. Never ever even sensed it going into regeneration mode, and I do a lot of small journeys.

John
It’s at the front of the engine very low down. Used for checking oil level during servicing. Don’t know when it first came in. Mine was the 2010 XC70.

If the electronic sump level display is working you should also be able to see sump level rising during periodic checks. Mine would show full even after servicing with the actual level below full. So if it were to rise it would show above full. Mine didn’t have any such issues as our car wasn’t used on short hops.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

John
Volvo was the first brand I heard with the oil dilution problem although it's spread to other brands since - avoiding longer oil change intervals, ie sticking to 10,000 miles maximum, helps to minimise the effect of any dilution.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
10K miles is long IME with Mazda 7k was about the max before the dipstick approached the X mark which was already well above the normal full mark.
I've read that some JLR owners have to change oil at 5K .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having had three Mazdas all I can say is I have never had to put any oil in between services and do about 10 - 12,000 miles a year. My daughter had a Honda that needed oil every 3,000 miles or so but others with them have done far better. Oil consumption will vary between engines otherwise identical, as tollerances will probably vary a fraction.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Having had three Mazdas all I can say is I have never had to put any oil in between services and do about 10 - 12,000 miles a year. My daughter had a Honda that needed oil every 3,000 miles or so but others with them have done far better. Oil consumption will vary between engines otherwise identical, as tollerances will probably vary a fraction.

Not needing to add oil can be a symptom of oil dilution

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the same with a petrol 2005 Avensis. Great car and economical except on oil. Apparently this was common for the Avensis of that era!

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Surely it’s more about torque and gear ratios than just power. Also is the Jaguar heavier or lighter than the Sorento? I don’t think the 0.2 litre difference in engine capacity is that important it’s overall delivery and other characteristics. I think I would prefer a Sorento mainly on its larger luggage capacity and room, and their reputation for reliability. Where did JLR come again on the recent survey?

Yes the Jag is a bit lighter so that's why I was a bit concerned. Jag has a better cockpit than Sorento but I have never had a problem with Sorento so it's just a bit like driver comforts etc & ease of towing that I was looking at.
I may go for another Sorento as I would be quite confident with that

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Both 2.0 diesels are lower-powered (161/178 bhp) than your Sorento (197ish) - how much excess power does your Sorento have?

Probably a lot-I never have to force it. If I'm abroad I just stick it in cruise and let it go-Very rarely does it go up to 3000rpm and if it does it usually drops back quickly-usually on a hill where it drops to 5th I think. It usually trucks on about 2000rpm

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes the Jag is a bit lighter so that's why I was a bit concerned. Jag has a better cockpit than Sorento but I have never had a problem with Sorento so it's just a bit like driver comforts etc & ease of towing that I was looking at.
I may go for another Sorento as I would be quite confident with that
Longer warranty too on the Sorento, even buying pre- owned if it has been maintained within Kia’s schedule. I don’t know for larger Kia’s but when we bought a Rio under 2 years old with fish they were reinstating the 7 year warranty. Ours didn’t qualify as it had higher mileage but we still got five years and the car at a very good price.

Reactions: JezzerB and Scorpy
Sep 25, 2020
Visit site
Thanks
Mike
I have just got the FPace prestige 2018 2.0d manual and it feels like it could pull a house down, yet to tow with it but it handles fantastically for a tall car, can’t fault the chassis. Service intervals are 2 years 21k miles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts