Jaguar X Type

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A friend has a 2 litre petrol Jaguar X Type manual and is thinking of purchasing a caravan. Has any one any experience in towing with this model. What is the maximum tow limit and also the maximum nose weight? Also which would be more suitable, a fixed towball or a removable ball? Any comments would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Colin,

We have the estate diesl version of the x type which we purchased last year.

We have A Sterling Amathyst Van and our previous tow cars included; an E 320 Merc and a 2ltrd Freelander (both autos).

Paul hasn't stopped singing the praises of the Jag yet, he says the other two were useless in comparison. The manual gearbox allows better power distribution and the car doesn't over rev constantly.

We would say you will have no problems at all. Good luck!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - I can't help with the car as I've never driven one towing, but would advise a detachable towball - the car looks better when solo, and there's no risk of breaking your shins or ruining your clothes with the ball removed. Make sure the twin sockets are easy to get to though. Use an independent fitter - much cheaper than franchised dealers for much the same product.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A little late in coming to this one but my experiences may be of use to others.

Bought an auto 2.5 X Type last year to replace my Mitsubishi Galant 2.5 auto (wonderful tow car, albeit front wheel drive). The Jag checked out solo fine but towing it had the habit of insisting changing down to 4th for all but the slightest inclines. Jaguar were most helpful but could not off a solution. So last month lashed out on an S Type 3litre auto (having had a trial from dealer hooked up to van). Have since travelled about 300 miles and its brilliant. The 6 speed auto box allows car to sit at 60 mph most of the time in top and in cruise returning 23 mpg.

So the moral is - steer clear of the X type 5 speed boxes and go for manual versions or the S type

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts