Jaguar xf s 3.0 diesel auto

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
I've just purchased this vehicle and concerned about max nose weight. Everywhere i look is states a max of 75kg, apart from the owners hand book which states all variants 100kg! We have an avondale argente 650/6. With MRO 1451kg and MTPLM 1700kg. Im not concerned about any other weights apart from the variation I'm finding from the owners manual to anywhere else on the internet. Can any one shed some light on this, would i be correct it going by the owners manual of 100kg max nose weight?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The owners manual should be the makers official figure so should be the legal limit. Not sure where others have come from but if it is not an official web site then it has no legal effect.

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
Thanks raywood. I had been on towcar and they have it at 75kgs, also had come across a couple other posts stating 75kgs for the jaguar xf s. Im more inclined to swing towards what the cars owner manual states. Although I'd always thought towcar to be pretty accurate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Neil1309 said:
Thanks raywood. I had been on towcar and they have it at 75kgs, also had come across a couple other posts stating 75kgs for the jaguar xf s. Im more inclined to swing towards what the cars owner manual states. Although I'd always thought towcar to be pretty accurate.

I’d go by the owners manual. As a back up contact Jaguar technical department.

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Neil1309 said:

I’d go by the owners manual. As a back up contact Jaguar technical department.

My last car was a jag, it came with a customer service telephone line, fancy black box with a card inside, give them a call.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil1309 said:
I've just purchased this vehicle and concerned about max nose weight. Everywhere i look is states a max of 75kg, apart from the owners hand book which states all variants 100kg! We have an avondale argente 650/6. With MRO 1451kg and MTPLM 1700kg. Im not concerned about any other weights apart from the variation I'm finding from the owners manual to anywhere else on the internet. Can any one shed some light on this, would i be correct it going by the owners manual of 100kg max nose weight?

The maximum nose load (S value) a tow bar can accept should be include on a data plate fitted to the tow bar. That is the maximum value, because the tow bar manufacture as evaluated the design.

You only need as much nose load that will keep the outfit stable, Most outfits do not need to go a high as 100kg.

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
The towbar is fine, that's plated 143kgs max. My 4x4 max nose weight was 100kgs so loading the van was no issue with weight dispersal. What confused me was on towcar they state the max nose weight for model is 75kgs and i had read same on some other posts the same thing. When i go into the owners manual it states all variants of model is 100kgs. My worry was with a 1700kg mtplm van and a max nose weight of 75kg would be rather difficult to achieve.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
.....The maximum nose load (S value) a tow bar can accept should be include on a data plate fitted to the tow bar. That is the maximum value, because the tow bar manufacture as evaluated the design.

You only need as much nose load that will keep the outfit stable, Most outfits do not need to go a high as 100kg....

You mean this prof ....

1o5 kg on the Kuga beast !!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
ProfJohnL said:
.....The maximum nose load (S value) a tow bar can accept should be include on a data plate fitted to the tow bar. That is the maximum value, because the tow bar manufacture as evaluated the design.

You only need as much nose load that will keep the outfit stable, Most outfits do not need to go a high as 100kg....

You mean this prof ....

1o5 kg on the Kuga beast !!

Craig , what my worry would be that its attached to the Bolt on plate not the Towbar. My towbar one is already undreadable.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
w18oxi.png

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
Your even bigger worry is that it's type approved by the United Nations. (Capital E)

Next time there is a peace keeping role, your the man, well the car is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
ProfJohnL said:

You mean this prof ....

Yes that is correct.

This is the data plate the authorities would look for if they were questioning a nose load.

You must always remember the handbook for a car will have a disclaimer about the accuracy of its content, and it will often cover several different models. But the tow bar should have a data plate specific to the model its attached to.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
ProfJohnL said:

You mean this prof ....
But the tow bar should have a data plate specific to the model its attached to.

No it shouldn’t, and won’t, and Craig’s picture is a perfect example.

The towbar will have a data plate relating to itself, i.e the towbar only, and nothing relating to the vehicle.

I’m a little concerned here that focussing on the towbar data plate and nothing else may mislead the OP. For example, a towbar with an “S” value of 105KG could be fitted to a VW UP!, but that car will have a significantly lower maximum towing noseweight than this, and it is always the lowest value which must absolutely be respected. Hence my tongue in cheek editing of Craig’s previous post, highlighting that there is a difference between the towbar’s “S” value, and the vehicle specific maximum

To give you another example, the manufacturers official maximum noseweight figure for my Passat is 90KG, yet my VW approved towbar states 100KG on the data plate. Again Prof, it is always the lowest value which must be respected, also taking into account of course that stated by the Caravan or trailer manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tow bars ARE manufactured for specific vehicles, they have to be type approved and marry up to the car manufacturers specific fixing points. Consequently there is no way a Kuga tow bar could fit an UP or any other vehicle. Tow bar suppliers must select the correct model for the car and ensure the correct data plate is fitted.

Do not get confused with the tow ball which is a separate element to the tow coupling.

The question was about tow bars and their rating not about the trailers capacity. But as you correctly point out you have to abide by the lowest value - analogous to the weakest link principle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not wanting to confuse things but the manufacturers towing limit and the towbar limit are potentially two different things. The manufacturers towing limit is the maximum weight the car can tow and the towbar limit is what the towbar can handle. If they are different then the lower one will apply.
I take the point about the disclaimer in the manufacturers handbook, but provided you are within that, I find it difficult to see any action being taken if it was wrong, which is almost impossible, I would think.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Tow bars ARE manufactured for specific vehicles, they have to be type approved and marry up to the car manufacturers specific fixing points. Consequently there is no way a Kuga tow bar could fit an UP or any other vehicle. Tow bar suppliers must select the correct model for the car and ensure the correct data plate is fitted.

Do not get confused with the tow ball which is a separate element to the tow coupling.

The question was about tow bars and their rating not about the trailers capacity. But as you correctly point out you have to abide by the lowest value - analogous to the weakest link principle.

Prof ! Please dont be so sure that a " Kuga tow bar could not fit say a Vauxhall Enigmia, " they might be so close that some one "COULD" fit one. Its not impossible. Therefore wrongly fitted towbar,

. But getting back to Craigs photo the information is on a bolt on Plate , onto his tow bar and tow ball , surely not legal info.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:

Prof ! Please dont be so sure that a " Kuga tow bar could not fit say a Vauxhall Enigmia, " they might be so close that some one "COULD" fit one. Its not impossible. Therefore wrongly fitted towbar,

. But getting back to Craigs photo the information is on a bolt on Plate , onto his tow bar and tow ball , surely not legal info.

Forget me hutch just get back to the original post question my towbar is working fine thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Not wanting to confuse things but the manufacturers towing limit and the towbar limit are potentially two different things. The manufacturers towing limit is the maximum weight the car can tow and the towbar limit is what the towbar can handle. If they are different then the lower one will apply.
I take the point about the disclaimer in the manufacturers handbook, but provided you are within that, I find it difficult to see any action being taken if it was wrong, which is almost impossible, I would think.

Hello Ray,
When you purchase a tow bar you should be asked the exact model of car it is being purchased for. The supplies should provide the correct tow bar assembly and data plate for the car. The data plate will be specific to the model of vehicle it is fitted and will reflect the maximum permitted static loads.

Obviously if you order, or deliberately choose the wrong one, then the wrong one may be fitted to the vehicle, but then it would not be compliant and could if detected lead to action by the authorities.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

Craig, what I was pointing out was that the Information is on a bolt on plate and not attached to the tow bar its self. My Tow Trust bar came with the info on the tow ball not the bar, the tow ball hitch was not Alko comparable, and had to be changed so no info on the tow bar. ?

Bid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I had one of these cars until 18 months ago and I rang the customer service at Jaguar who told me the limit was 75g which I managed with a bit of rearranging of items in the van but making sure that everything was evenly distributed. I had a small van 1400kg and the Jag was a great tow car

TRENDING THREADS