Jeep Cherokee

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
I am considering buying a Jeep Cherokee for towing an Abbey GTS Vogue 517 which has an AlKo stabiliser. I'm concerned about the operating handle fouling on the spare wheel. I currently have a Freelander and this is a problem although the wheel is offset so by reversing at an angle it can be overcome. The Jeep wheel is dead centre and lower so I can't see the same solution. If anyone has any experience with a Cherokee towing a van with AlKo stabiliser I'd be grateful to know if there is a solution without taking the wheel off the door.

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
I bought a new Cherokke last year just for its towing potential. My van has a Winterhof stabiliser, but I suspect that there is precious little differene from the Alko.(I had an Alko before with a CRV) I had a Jeep detachable towbar fitted and whilst not cheap, I do not have any problem hitching up.The operating handle works fine, better than the CRV.

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
I bought a new Cherokke last year just for its towing potential. My van has a Winterhof stabiliser, but I suspect that there is precious little differene from the Alko.(I had an Alko before with a CRV) I had a Jeep detachable towbar fitted and whilst not cheap, I do not have any problem hitching up.The operating handle works fine, better than the CRV.
Brian

Thanks for your response. As you will appreciate this could be a costly mistake to make.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil;

Your concerns are well founded. I tow a Swift Challenger 520 with a Cherokee. The Swift came with an AKS2004 stabiliser. Before taking delivery of my new van some two years ago, I asked the dealer to lend me an AKS2004 to try on my old Avondale. I tried several different angles of hitching up. I also tried opening/closing the tail gate. There was no way I could hitch up with the AKS stabiliser. In the end, I bought myself a Winterhoff WS3000. This solved the problem. Brian is not quite right. The design of the WS3000 is such that the operating level is further back from the coupling head, giving those extra precious few inches of clearence. The WS3000 cost me about

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
buy a splined socket to fit the alco plastic handle screw. release stabiliser, unscrew bolt and remove plastic handle, works everytime and so easy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi, just done a deal to change our terrano 2.7 se+ for a new 2.8 cherokee renagade manual .terrano towed our crusader aurora no problem (first van had it 9 months used it 21 times love every trip)just hoping jeep pulls as well as terrano, anyone have any mpg figures? ect.

Aug 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil

If you do experience any problems hitching up you can either hitch up with the rear door open or if possible hitch up at an angle ( not always possible). I believe alko has designed a new handle on the coupling for the 4x4's with the wheel on the rear door.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Folks, I run a Jeep Cherokee 2.5 CRD pulling a Abbey Adventura 325 fitted with the Alko 2003,have no problems at all hitching up, incidently i return about 28mpg on a run with the van!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with the cherokee 3.7 limited,van is a spectrum 540 twin.

No problems at all with the jeep.

Problems hitching up with alko 2004 no clearance (jeep detachable bar fitted).Have tried what one person suggested,removed the red handle,still not enough clearance so cannot see the alko mod being any better.

Have tried all possibilities and found that the best way to hitch up is to reverse up at an angle to the left of the van looking from the front,this then allows you open the rear door and clear the jockey wheel.Have done this for the last 10 months and getting better each time.

Would only swap the cherokee for the GRAND this would stop the problems hitching up,but I could not run to the list price.

Petrol consumption approx 17 mpg towing 22 solo.Not much use as yours is a diesel.Dont forget the computer onboard shows US gallons not UK so you can add approx 2-3 mpg.

hope this is of use.

Richie

TRENDING THREADS