Jersey

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Good morning all wise and knowing caravaners. Me and the government are thinking of a stay in Jersey this year with the van and would really appreciate advice and recommendations from people who have been there and done it. I am an experienced “tow pilot” of many years but know very little about Jersey roads and law.
My best regards
R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good morning all wise and knowing caravaners. Me and the government are thinking of a stay in Jersey this year with the van and would really appreciate advice and recommendations from people who have been there and done it. I am an experienced “tow pilot” of many years but know very little about Jersey roads and law.
My best regards
R
By all means ask for opinions but don't rely on them for the law, seek it from the relevant official source or from reliable source such as the clubs or motoring organisations.

As with all questions like this, you should be contacting the relevant authorities to establish what the laws and regulations are. The danger of asking for regulatory information on an anonymised forum is you have no idea if the information is accurate or complete or if someone is trying to deliberately mislead.

Take care

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that ProfJ, you are, of course, quite correct and I have been on the relevant government sites and read up. I was more concerned about driving in Jersey in relation to road conditions etc. Also what I might expect on the ferry, if anyone can relate their experiences positive or negative would all go to help. Buckman may well have a point in suggesting a B&B but I would always prefer the van.
Regards
R

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have only been over to Jersey a couple of times, last time probably 20 years ago, the roads were in a great condition, roundabouts ,you took it in turn, driving was very polite, petrol was incredibly cheap. As was eating out. No satnav then, and map reading was a real laugh, by the time you sorted out where you were going on the map tou were either there or past it, the Island being so small, the covered Market in St Helier is great as is the German Hospital and tunnels.
I think there was only a choice of two sites for vans.
A lovely place.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies. After looking into it a bit further I think that Buckman has it right. We are going to leave the van at home for this one and take the car and stay at a good hotel.
Cheers all and safe travels
R

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all for your replies. After looking into it a bit further I think that Buckman has it right. We are going to leave the van at home for this one and take the car and stay at a good hotel.
Cheers all and safe travels
R
Let us know how you get on in Jersey, and the drive over my parents have been but they went by plane they said it was a nice place

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The last time we looked at this the use of of a caravan was possible. you had to have the site booked in advance and could only use the direct route there and back. Came to the conclusion they did not want us so never bothered to take it further. At the same time I do believe the roads are possibly not up to people using caravans, which may affect the thinking.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, just to impart a bit of information on caravaning in Jersey.
We traveled to Jersey without the van and stayed in a hotel and very glad we did too. Now we traveled on the fast ferry (4 hour crossings from Poole) and had the cringing experience of watching a caravan destroy its back panel and awning rails on the horrible ramp up to the ferry. The poor man had to reverse up the ramp as to be in the correct orientation to disembark in Jersey. The ferry personnel didn’t stop him before the damage was done. Now he has all sorts of wrangling with the ferry company as to who is responsible. Jersey itself is a good place to visit but the roads aren’t exactly wide with many a tight corner, not caravan friendly at all.
So my recommendation would be…. Fly, hotel and use the excellent bus service to get around.
Cheers
F

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was always ultra cautious going on or of off channel ferries as my Reich mover was lower than other makes, but fortunately never had a “contact” issue. I feel for the guy who damaged the van on the fast ferry. Having to reverse car and van onto the ferry doesn’t make for a stress free start to the holiday, then damaging the van and sorting out the after effects. You made the best decision.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
We went to Jersey with the caravan a year ago only about 3 months after getting our first caravan. The formalities are a non-issue, when you book the site they email you a licence, need to print and stick it on van window. Sensible requirement, they don't want vans off piste touring Jersey and its not an issue if you are going to a site. Yep the ferry loading was intimidating as it is a long ramp with a 90 degree turn at the bottom all done in reverse. I was a novice and the loading guy was lovely though. He walked me slowly to the top of the ramp calling out steering commands perfectly, guiding me backwards into the ferry. Coming back was slightly different, the crew at Jersey did not want to do this and suggested I go on forwards if not expert. On the mainland side about 4 big guys helped uncouple the van as the ferry emptied and they spun it round in seconds and helped with a quick couple up. So the ferry is possible even.if your skills are limited. Jersey roads to the actual site were not that much different to mainland b roads through villages, with one important difference, the norm is stone walls right at the edge rather than pavement. Errors can be serious and we scraped the outside corner of the van turning into the site after not allowing properly for tail swing out on a long van. Learning curve. Repairs now done. I would go back, we had a good time there. I'd just bear in mind that canyon style towing demands more care than when there are grass verges either side!

Steve

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts