Jockey wheel gyrations

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
You must surely have all had this problem; a nice 'hard standing' which is, in fact small stones. You reverse the van into the pitch and then, having unhitched, youneed to manoeuvre the caravan. But, as usual the jockey wheel is pointing at 90 degrees to the van, and it's impossible to move !!!!!

Question; a jockey ball would surely be the answer. If solid it would be adequately 'strong' and yet be able to move in any direction.

Does such a thing exist? If not, how on earth do you all resolve this ?!!

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, in my case its easy, I just switch on the mover, and let it do the moving for me, whilst I sip a cold drink after all the driving :}}}

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John after unhitching and raising the coupling above the towball with the jockey wheel you just lower the front steadies to take the weight and then raise the jockey wheel so that it can be lined up .

Then take the weight on the jockey wheel,raise the steadies,level the van front/rear and then lower the steadies again.

If you have the side clamp you can more easily release the jockey wheel than with the "easier to use"(Alko) one set inside the A-frame.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Maybe I've overlooked something here but I can't see the problem. Before unhitching, I make sure that the jockey wheel is pointing in the right direction for the subsequent move.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
OK so I can either buy a mover (we had agreed to do this anyway, having watched the ease with which our neighbours manoueuvred their vans into the most 'tricky' positions) or; make sure that the jockey wheel is north south' facing as opposed to 'east west'. (or, resolve the aforesaid by 'downing' the steadies and re-arranging the jocky wheel.

However, the idea of a cicular ball which is able to move easily in any directon? Does it exist?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Lutz, that's called using common sense mate.

It's the first thing I do too. By strategically positioning the jokey wheel in the direction you intend to go it is much easier to push the van if required.

Perhaps we should also state that the Jockey wheel should be behind the jokey wheel post so that it does not have to swivel 180 degree's to follow the vans direction of travel.

Generally I park the van with the car attatched which is much easier. Then all you have to do is unhook and wind the jockey wheel up/down to get the van level.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its already in the in line position when you lower the jockey wheel I would have thought(especially with the inside the A-frame type!) but the problem arises if the van has been man handled onto a pitch when the method outlined above would work.

The problem with a ball type wheel would be the width when raised for towing.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Godd morning John ! Actually no, when the jockey wheel is lowered, the "default" position is for the wheel to be perhaps 30 degrees off centre, and them with the pushing and shoving that inevitably takes place, the whene finds its own 'preferred' rut and likes to stay there; "you know who's" law sayd that it's always facing east-east as opposed to north-south.

But, even whith a caravan mover, surely the problem is the same even though you have the muscle power to force the wheel to come back to north-south? Now if the 'wheel' were a ball, then this wouldn't be a problem, would it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I usually guide it into line with a toe if its wandering when lowered but with the latest inside A-frame design it has got to come down more or less in line.

I was agreeing with your situation as I said that after manhandling it would not be inline.

The problem with a ball would be the width when stored.

If you have the side clamp its easy to unscrew the whole lot and remove the jockey wheel when sometimes on uneven ground it gets jammed under the brake linkage after hooking up etc but the newer inside the A frame type ---well that's another story

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I usually guide it into line with a toe if its wandering when lowered but with the latest inside A-frame design it has got to come down more or less in line.

I was agreeing with your situation as I said that after manhandling it would not be inline.

The problem with a ball would be the width when stored.

If you have the side clamp its easy to unscrew the whole lot and remove the jockey wheel when sometimes on uneven ground it gets jammed under the brake linkage after hooking up etc but the newer inside the A frame type ---well that's another story
If pushing backwards you would of course need to turn the jockey wheel so that it was following (ie through 180 degrees)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John a ball would still be directional as it would need a spindle around which to revolve and that would always have to be at right angles to direction of travel

The extra width could make the jamming problem worse

TRENDING THREADS