Jockey wheel + Nose weight gauge

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Anyone used one of these? or how do you measure your noseweight?

Secondly I need a new Jockey wheel
Any suggestions about what make/model you use or which you think is most durable.
That means the whole assembly, not just the wheel itself?

Cheers

1694775462845.png

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had one. Did not like it. Seemed like a great idea, but twisted in use. I found it so much easier to use bathroom scales and a short length of wood.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the device raises the trailers hitch above the the tow vehicles ball, it does not give a true measure of the trailers down force on the ball. It is claimed it compensates for this height difference, but as does not allow you to enter the relevant dimensions it cannot be 100% accurate.

The problem is exacerbated with twin axles, as the dynamic load change with hitch height is greater than with SA caravans.

There are some users who swear the results match other measurement methods, but that can only because of assumptions the manufacturer makes about the approximation of the correction factor , which may be close enough for practical use.

It is important the unit remains vertical whilst being used.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are two models , .SA & TA. I have one but rarely use it. In fairness it is accurate and imo makes allowance for the 30mm height difference. It gave me an almost identical reading to the bathroom scales. As a guide fine but frankly the scales are still the best

Reactions: Buckman and Grey13

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I assume you put it over the car towball and then hitch the van up to it? If so, sounds like a lot of manoeuvering to me. You can take a stick and a bathroom scale to the van.
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog and Grey13
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
As the device raises the trailers hitch above the the tow vehicles ball, it does not give a true measure of the trailers down force on the ball. It is claimed it compensates for this height difference, but as does not allow you to enter the relevant dimensions it cannot be 100% accurate.

The problem is exacerbated with twin axles, as the dynamic load change with hitch height is greater than with SA caravans.

There are some users who swear the results match other measurement methods, but that can only because of assumptions the manufacturer makes about the approximation of the correction factor , which may be close enough for practical use.

It is important the unit remains vertical whilst being used.
Good comment John, however the slight error 5/10 degrees will make on a reading sure beats my last lifetime of towing without a clue of the weight. My car / tow hitch is low so what happens is, the first traffic hump we reach if it scrapes we stop and shift weight to the back on the van! Anyway technically you are right, thanks.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Any suggestions about what make/model you use or which you think is most durable.

Cheers

View attachment 5506
OK That's it, no fancy scale. Now on a more serious note JOCKEY WHEELS?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi

Cheers

View attachment 5506
We had one and found that they are extremely accurate however a bit delicate. I would suggest the Milenco calibrated gauge. Who cares about the nose weight perhaps being 4-5kg out as it makes no difference?

The Kart jocky wheel is excellent and we replaced our ALKO with the Kart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey13 and Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
As the Prof days as the jockey wheel is some distance from the hitch it cannot give a rue reading. It was tested by the magazine some time back and it was someway out. They had a chart supplied by the manufacturer to correct this but it seemed far too complicated to me and I have no idea as to the long term accuracy. A proper gauge looks a better by I think.

Reactions: Grey13

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts