jockey wheel or not to jockey wheel ??

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
is there a reason you must have the jockey wheel attached to the caravan when towing, reason being the front skirt on the van is quite low and the jockey wheel big so it does not lift up very far, so the jockey wheel catches speed bump when we go over them.

anyone got any ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This has come up several times before in the forum and the concensus appears to be that there is no law against not having it fitted whilst towing, but keep it handy in case you have to unhitch in a hurry.

Several people said that they removed it before going on a ferry due to the slope of the ramp.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I keep my jockey wheel on mainly to prevent the 'A'-frame from getting a scrape in case it should bottom out on, say, speed bumps. It's better to let the wheel contact the ground than to have rust on the underside of the frame.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
the past couple of times i've been away with the van i've had to take the wheel off,only because i overtightened it and knackered the thread on the locking pin.I managed to fix it on site though

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We always remove ours for towing. Since we replaced our standard wheel with one that has a bigger pneumatic tyre, we found that the tyre turns and scrapes against the A-frame panels if it grounds - leaving horrible black scratch marks on the white plastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts