Jockey Wheel Problems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just changed to a pneumatic jockey wheel, whilst it is much better for moving the van I have two observations after this weekends trip. The original was an alko and the new one is too. The original had a groove in the outer shaft that meant the wheel was locked and would not swing out, this new does not so purley relies on clamping force. Also because it is much wider, it I travel with the wheel fitting alongside the plastic cover at the front of the van, we noticed we have only an inch or two ground clearance. This means when we go over speed bumps, the tyre is hitting and in fact swung out and became loose on on our journey this weekend (not helped by the fact that the aforementioned groove is missing) and obviously I had not tightend the wheel enough. The only way I can get more ground clearance by the looks of it is to travel with the wheel sticking out rather than snuggly fitting against the plastic skirt or remove it completely? Any ideas or help...have you had similar problems when chaging from one type to another?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've not had this problem myself, but there isn't any reason why you can't travel with the wheel at any angle. It's not as though it has to be aerodynamic, given the brick that it's attached to. I shouldn't worry about aesthetics, who cares what it looks like. How about facing it forward though, ie pointing at the car? Alternatively though you could take it of as you've said. Just make sure that you haven't lost too much nose weight, as low nose weight can be just as bad as if it's too high.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a pneumatic jockey wheel and that has the slot to prevent rotation.It might be possible to use the inner part with the fork and tyre with the old outer part that has the slot.I certainly have mixed and matched when damage occurred .I always remove the jockey wheel going on and off ferries to avoid damage but last week towed 250 miles from Plymouth before replacing! I believe that in Germany its illegal to tow without the jockey wheel but fortunately not any Channel ports are in Germany !! Perhaps Lutz would know about that

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you have an angle grinder it's easy enough to cut a slot. Although the galvanize will be cut through, the area is usually coated with sufficient gunge to prevent any rusting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have an angle grinder it's easy enough to cut a slot. Although the galvanize will be cut through, the area is usually coated with sufficient gunge to prevent any rusting.
That occurred to me after my posting.Great minds etc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul and Ruth,

I too purchased a Pneumatic jockey wheel,When hitched to your car , remove the assy by unscrewing the clamp, re-fit at the end of your journey.

Regards Roy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We have a pneumatic jockey wheel and that has the slot to prevent rotation.It might be possible to use the inner part with the fork and tyre with the old outer part that has the slot.I certainly have mixed and matched when damage occurred .I always remove the jockey wheel going on and off ferries to avoid damage but last week towed 250 miles from Plymouth before replacing! I believe that in Germany its illegal to tow without the jockey wheel but fortunately not any Channel ports are in Germany !! Perhaps Lutz would know about that
I haven't heard that it is illegal to tow without the jockey wheel in Germany but you may be correct. You would be removing a component which could be deemed necessary for use and therefore, according to German law, could conceivably count as a functional modification to a type approved vehicle (or, in this case, a trailer/caravan). It is illegal in Germany to use a vehicle which has been modified in any way from the type approved design without having such modifications approved by their equivalent of the MOT.

Nevertheless, despite Germans having a reputation for being officious, I doubt whether any police officer would bother to book anyone for anything as petty as removing the jockey wheel so long you can produce it if requested, especially if you can give a good reason. My experience with German police is that, on the whole, they are quite reasonable so long as they are treated in a similar way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz.I read it in a caravan magazine "so it must be true !)When we lived in Berlin our German maid was fined for walking on the wrong side of her bicycle so I would not risk getting on the wrong side of any Polizei

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts