Jockey Wheel replacement

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks

We are thinking of replacing the standard Jockey Wheel which came with our new Challenger, and replacing it with the KARTT type, which looks more robust and better overall.

Is this an easy job to do, and can I replace it by myself for example at the storage site?
Any specialty tools or equipment required

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I can do it then anyone can do the same. We replaced ours with the Karrt ribbed to stop it unwinding when in transit. Simply keep winding the ALKO out until it splits in half. Same with Kartt and then wind the Kartt back together and job done. About 10 minutes work.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
I did the same swap about a year ago and it was done at our storage site without any specific tools.

To get the original jockey wheel (from now on I'm going to use the abbreviation JW!) out and the new one in requires winding the existing JW until it becomes two halves and to remove the lower half the nose needs to be quite high - easy with a single-axle.

If I remember correctly the Karrt JW handle doesn't come off (easily) but it will feed-up through the hole from below.

Mick

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Ok so am I right in saying get the caravan as high as possible at the front then stick down the front steadies?

Then unwind the ALKO JW out then replace with Kartt

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If I’m purchasing the ribbed version is there any requirement to also buy the separate clamp?

I can see on the CAMC discount shop it’s £89.99 but on EBay it’s £58…is there different versions which I need to look at?

Ebay:
No need to purchase clamp on our caravan, but order Kartt and then see if a new clamp is required.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Just swapped mine 😱
The one on there wouldn't wind out it just came to a stop and I didn't want to force it.
Managed to get it out by removing the winding knob and jiggling it.
Tried the same with the new one, again it wouldn't wind out and I couldn't fit it even with the knob removed. Ended up punching out the roll pin that held the handle on, removed the handle and then it was easy.

It's not always simple

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Having moved the van today it's much better with the double wheels, however the winder is to long and clips the handbrake lever.
Something else to sort.

TRENDING THREADS