Jockey Wheel Twist/Dig in issues.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I use a Kartt Jockey Wheel that struggles on the site we use, using our Mover. The pitches are sloped up to a flat surface and covered in loose inch stone. The Jockey Wheel can twist making a trough, all made worse when using ramps.

Any ideas welcome..Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Caravan jockey wheels tend to be of relatively small diameter, and that's the root problem, small stones can (do) form a wedge in front and jam the wheel from rotating, So the issues your are having are not going to be at all easy to overcome. What is needed is a wide large diameter wheel, but there's nowhere to fit one!

Some rate pneumatic jockey wheels, I have no experience of one so am unable to form an opinion.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you look on Amazon for ‘2 tyre wheel traction mats’ for under £18 could you use these beneath the jockey wheel as you motor move the caravan?

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
If you look on Amazon for ‘2 tyre wheel traction mats’ for under £18 could you use these beneath the jockey wheel as you motor move the caravan?
Thanks. I’ve actually tried these, they do help a bit however, I find the mat and the jockey can still dig in.
Caravan jockey wheels tend to be of relatively small diameter, and that's the root problem, small stones can (do) form a wedge in front and jam the wheel from rotating, So the issues your are having are not going to be at all easy to overcome. What is needed is a wide large diameter wheel, but there's nowhere to fit one!

Some rate pneumatic jockey wheels, I have no experience of one so am unable to form an opinion.
Thanks. I agree, it’s almost a large ball rather than a wheel that’s needed, in my opinion.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe something thicker - screw fix sell a 10mm depth tile and Bigdug up to 16mm that may stay flat on top of stones as the mover runs over them?

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
It's just one of those things we all have to live with. A nose heavy trailer, loose gravel and a swivelling jockey wheel.... there is always a good chance this will happen.
A bigger / wider jockey wheel tyre tyre would help but isn't really practical as there isn't usually much room for one, you might not be able to raise the wheel high enough for towing. Any other solution, lowering the nose weight before moving / laying matts would be too much of a faff and probably won't work well.
The gravel will compact down over time.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's just one of those things we all have to live with. A nose heavy trailer, loose gravel and a swivelling jockey wheel.... there is always a good chance this will happen.
A bigger / wider jockey wheel tyre tyre would help but isn't really practical as there isn't usually much room for one, you might not be able to raise the wheel high enough for towing. Any other solution, lowering the nose weight before moving / laying matts would be too much of a faff and probably won't work well.
The easy way to reduce the noseweight is for your partner to get into the caravan and stand at the back - being careful not to go too far!

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Picturing the Mrs's face as the caravan breaks free and starts rolling back down a slope :oops:

Not sure putting someone in a caravan while it's manoeuvred is a good or safe idea. Could result in a big old injury claim from the other half

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the same problem at home on our gravel/chippings drive. Its also a 25% gradient in places and I have to get the caravan from the roadside up this. Best way I've found is to move it up or down backwards but turning it round at the end still causes the jockey wheel to drag a bit.

The Kartt jockey wheel is much better than the cheapo Alko one that was fitted on the caravan from new.

Just one of those things.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for your advice. Guess I’ll just live with it.

Reactions: Seblo
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Pneumatic is the way to go. But NOT the blow-up type, they puncture every 5 minutes. Puncture proof works just as well.

In my opinion, better than 10 times even the best of the hard type. For me, it's a no-brainer. They easily traverse mud and gravel.

IMG_1539.jpeg

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Pamplona
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The front of our Lunar is designed to hold the ALKO jockey wheel and is a tight fit. I cannot see anything wider fitting and if it does not the ground clearance would be compromised. My alternative is to use reverse where possible, so the jockey wheel follows rather than digs in when it leads.

Reactions: Fithawk
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The front of our Lunar is designed to hold the ALKO jockey wheel and is a tight fit. I cannot see anything wider fitting and if it does not the ground clearance would be compromised. My alternative is to use reverse where possible, so the jockey wheel follows rather than digs in when it leads.
The picture in #13 shows mine fitted to my Lunar. It was no problem.

John

TRENDING THREADS