jockey wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a problem with our Jockey wheel getting in the way when we have bicycles on the back of the car. Also the Jockey wheel has got damaged either on speed bumps or when we have gone onto ferries. Is it legal to take the Jockey wheel off while on the move?

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sandra,

Cannot think why it would be, need a place to store it though.

The jockey wheel is there to help and assist supporting/moving the front of the caravan when not hitched up to a tow car. It would be a hinderance if you had a real need to un-hitch quickly in an emergency.

I assume you have a side fitting jockey wheel, centre mounted jockey wheels would certainly be a pain to remove. - Well it is on my van.

Hope this helps

Cheers Colin n Joyce

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
on jockey wheel there is acut out make sure your jokey wheel winds up in this slot i take mine of when useing

jockey mover any bikes on back of car can add to nose weight

o

G

To remove the jockey wheel means firstly unwinding th wheel part fully and then extracting the handle part from the clamp. Not necessarily a 2 minute job. Longer still to put it back together. There is no legal reason to have a jockey wheel, in fcat in the good old days many caravans had just a bracket sticking down. However, it does make life so much easier to move the van.

As suggested try to move the bikes to another location. If you ahev a longer A Frame fix the bikes there. Alternatively, if your van will support it, you can attach a bike rack to the rear of the van. However, I would Stress this is usually applicable to continental vans, not UK ones.

G

One other comment. If your jockey wheel is getting whacked so much, you may wish to look at the rear suspension of the car as it sounds like it is too low. Although humps are a pain, they should not normally cause damage, unless you hit them at speed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts